“Excellent meal”
Review of Melilotos

Melilotos
Ranked #89 of 2,525 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Plaka
Description: Downtown, busy and small family restaurant, with a few tables outside. Fresh, local food with a twist, cooked with love and best quality ingredients. It is placed among cafes and bars, so it is the right place to feel the rythm of the city!
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had spent 22 days in Greece in May of this year and didn't find this restaurant until our final evening. Everything we tried was just fantastic, and my husband and I tasted 7 different dishes...all unique, all wonderful. We wish we had found this restaurant our first 2 days in Athens--we would have eaten every meal there!

2  Thank CorinneJulian

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Food was delicious, presented well, and had natural ingredients. Good service too. I would definitely recommend a meal here during your stay in Athens.

1  Thank Sha_War
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Honestly, the food was amazing! We are on week 3 of our honeymoon, and my husband and I both agree it was by far the best meal of our trip so far! For me the bes meal I have ever had. Extremely good value, both our meals plus wine was less than 25 euro!

1  Thank CloverJ77
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My friend and I chose this restaurant based on the Trip Advisor reviews, and we weren't disappointed! Although finding it was a bit hit and miss - it's not quite where it's marked on the map. However, it was worth persevering.
Delicious sesame crusted feta, and the best sardines I've ever eaten! Brilliant twists on modern Greek cuisine - serving grilled sardine fillets with beetroot taboulleh worked amazingly well. The only criticism I had was that the portion was too big and I couldn't eat it all!
I'd massively recommend to anyone in Athens.

1  Thank coolcaz
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Found this little gem by accident. There are many restaurants int the old city area of Athens, but most were empty when we passed. This one had a full patio, but lucky for us they had a table on the inside of their open restaurant.
The food is not what you would expect in a Greek restaurant. No moussaka or yemista or any other traditional food unless it has been somehow given that melilotos touch. I was with my twenty year old son, who is a picky eater. The first time we went, we ordered a 'fish pie' starter. I ordered their tagliatelle pasta with smoked fish and my son settled for a burger, The fish pie wasn't a pie baked within dough, but a layered dish of utter deliciousness. The base is dried bread crumbs and there is a layer of beets, a layer of marinated fish and I don't know what else, but it was excellent, the sort of thing you would see television chefs make from a basket of secret ingredients.
I never had tagliatelle before, so I was surprised to get a dish of black ribbon like pasta with a tomato-ouzo- dill sauce and pieces of smoked fish. I had no idea what made the pasta black and asked the waiter who informed me that it was squid's ink. The dish was delicious. My son's burger was so thick, he couldn't finish it, partly because he had wolfed down the delicious bread they provide you with. It was the first time we were asked how he wanted the burger, medium well done, rare. The meal with two large beers came to around 30 Euros, which is very reasonable.
As the stores around the restaurant closed, we saw the waiter carrying out tables and chairs and setting them up on the street in front of the stores that had just closed. Just as fast as he was setting out the tables, they began to fill up. This could only happen in Greece.
We went back the next day. My son had tasted the black pasta and to his surprise, found that he liked the ouzo sauce. He liked the idea of eating something that had squid's ink in it. I ordered a starter of eggplant and walnuts and their meatballs on pasta with a type of Greek cheese I never had before and which came from one of the islands. Again, everything delicious and the price about the same as the evening before.
They list the ingredients on their menu, and which part of Greece they come from. Very innovative!
We left the next day, otherwise we would have gone back there again.

1  Thank Lisa T