Hotel Acropolis House
  • Restaurant
    Omiros Hotel(Athens)
    Very Good 4/5
    • Breakfast included
    All reviewsno elevatorgreat locationsyntagma squarefamily run hotelsingle bedfirst flooryour luggagefriendly hotelairport busfew minutes walkthe breakfast areamain sitesreception areahotel staffsmall hotelstreet noiseon foot
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed August 14, 2009

The place itself is ok. The building is old and pretty, and it is clean. The staff is HORRIBLE. I have to say, My boyfriend and I have stayed all over. We have travelled quite a bit (various countries), and I have never gotten this kind of attitude ANYWHERE. We arrived and did not get the room we booked for our 2 night stay. They said they would work on it so we dealt with it the first night. Our only complaint was that we had booked a room with air conditioning. I specifically only looked at hostels and hotels that promised air conditioning becuase Athens is around 95 degrees in the August and we planned on being out walking all day. They gave us a fan, which was ok. The fan broke in the middle of the night, so we brought it down and they gave us a very small one to replace it. This one made so much noise it was ridiculous. We dealt with it and didnt complain but the nxt morning I asked when we would be able to switch rooms. She said she would let us know. In the meantime we also lost power. The issue I have with Acropolis House is that any time we asked a question they acted like WE WERE INCONVIENCING THEM. It didnt phase them that they were not giving us what we booked, IT WAS LIKE IT WAS OUR FAULT FOR COMPLAINING. They did not try to accomadate our simple requests at all. They just gave us an bad attitude. We went on a walking tour and returned around 1. This woman (I believe her name was Emanuella) then said we wouldnt be moving our room at all. For the price of the hotel, it iwas ridiculous for us to be this uncomfortable, nonetheless treated like that. They only offered to drop the price about 15 Euro. We told her we were going to look for another hotel, which we did and found one very quickly. We came back within an hour and told her we were checking out, and ONLY THEN DID SHE OFFER US A ROOM WITH AIR. They had the room the whole time, and were not going to accomadate us until we said we were leaving. They did not listen to our requests at all. I could not believe this. We said no thank you, as we had found something cheaper and nicer, and THEN SHE SAID WE HAD TO PAY FOR THIS NIGHTS STAY because it was 2pm by that time. We told her absolutely not, becuase she had not told us earlier that she could not switch our room, and then she said "well ok, than you hav eto pay a portions of the day at least." It was unbelievable, and so unprofessional. I cant imagine that they always do buissness this way. I hope we jsut had an unlucky expeirience, but i would NEVER NEVER recommend this place to anyone. We told her that we would not pay the extra 35 Euro b/c of the "time" we were leaving, while this was not our fault and she had not told us in the morning about the room situation. We paid for our night and left. When we said we'd call the tourist police (bc apparently there is such a thing in Athens) She shut right up. I am embarrassed to say that I even threw that out there, because that is so far from anything we'd ever dream of doing. I will say it again, I have never had a problem with a hotel, hostel, room rental, nothing. I have been in places less than fabulous, I assure you. This is by far my worst experience. I am still shocked by it. We left and enjoyed the rest of our time in Athens without hassle.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
    5  Thank GB08Nj
    Reviewed June 23, 2009

A great value with a helpful and friendly staff. Clean, comfortable, hot water, good air conditioning. A great value in a quite neighborhood. Great location!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
    1  Thank gwilliamsontx
    Reviewed June 5, 2009

We stayed 4 nights here between coming and going from the islands. The location is fantastic 500 metres from the Central Plaka and with literally hundreds of restaurants in the vicinity and just 10 mins walk to the Acropolis.

The staff were charming and helpful. The hotel is old and rooms are not luxurious but beds were comfortable and it was clean. Breakfast was basic.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
    3  Thank nozzie
    Reviewed May 25, 2009

We stayed in the Acopolis House for the first two nights and last night in Greece. A nice hotel right in the middle of the action in the Plaka district. We found staff very helpful with recommendations and ideas. Hotel is steps away from Acopolis and Syntagma Square (Airport Bus Stop). Rooms we had were quite basic, but clean. Breakfast was OK, nothing special. The best part of this hotel was the location, though it can be a little loud in the night. A little expensive but based on location I think its a pretty good value If you stay there, we strongly recommend you check out small restaurant just down the street on the left. Its a little hole in the wall place with amazing local food.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
    1  Thank RoJoOttawa
    Reviewed April 22, 2009

The hotel is located just outside of Syntagma Square not far from Plaka Square. The rooms were very clean and there is even a great view of the Acropolis from the hall window. Breakfast was more than to be expected with a boiled egg, fruit, and fresh bread. We were very pleased and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple