“Budget hotel in the city center”
Review of Cecil Hotel

Cecil Hotel
Ranked #141 of 326 Hotels in Athens
“Budget hotel in the city center”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Excellent option if you are looking to stay close to the center and you are limited in your budget. Don't expect much from the rooms or service, enjoy Athens and quickly get back to your hotel :) breakfast was fine, elevator a bit scary but defenetely worth experiencing!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Cecil at the end of June 2013 for 2 nights.
The hotel is in desperate need of some serious help. The rooms are of reasonable size but unfortunately they look so tired, old, dirty and the bathrooms need some serious refurbishing.
We stayed on the third floor and the whole floor including the rooms smelt of tobacco smoke. I could even smell it on my pillow at night. This would be ok if Cecil charged accordingly. I think for the poor condition of the hotel it should be advertised at a cheaper rate.
The location however is perfect as it is central in Athens next to Monastiraki and tourist attractions.
I believe all that Cecil needs is some tender loving care and a makeover.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HelenT16

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

Almaty, Kazakhstan
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Anyone looking for a budget hotel in Athens, this is it. The location was great (old town), everything was very clean and the staff was helpful. The breakfast was nothing special but it was free and considering the price of the room (around $50) what do you expect. I have been to many five star hotels where the breakfast can cost up to $35. Cecil Hotel is value for the money.

Room Tip: We chose one of the two rooms that were on the roof of the hotel. You actually had to go outside on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The best thing about Cecil Hotel is probably the location downton, right in th center. Still, for the approx. 100 dollars you pay per night, the service is very poor, rooms are old and terrible. Breakfast contains of waffles on one-way-plats - every day! I found staff unhelpful and unfriendly. They would probably let you die in front of reception, if you don't show all your credit cards in advance - and then call the ambulance.
I'm a traveler going round the world since several months now - and I`m not complaining generally. I had much better stays in th US, Asia, Africa, whatever... The Cecil Hotel is just TERRIBLE! Just don`t go there. It`s probably a bette option to stay at the beach right away. Happy to help :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank CocoDi2013
Indiana
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was traveling with my sister who had stayed at this hotel previously. However that was six years ago. Things have changed. We arrived early and the room was not ready which we expected. They were still serving breakfast and let us go upstairs to throw our luggage is a storage closet and eat breakfast. This was my first clue that things were not good. The storage closet was not secure and down a dark hallway. The food was ok but I was not sure about the cleanliness of the dishes. We got a room about an hour later. I walked in and knew we were in trouble. The bedspreads were stained and old. The light fixtures had missing bulbs. The floor was warped. The faucet in the bathroom was loose. The toilet made strange noises and the shower was dirty. My sister said it had really changed and not for the better. We chose to leave without staying the night. The location of this hotel is good, but that is all I can say for it. However, we had a reservation for 4 nights and they they released us from it and only charged us for one. Be very careful if you want to stay here. Ask to see the room first.

Stayed May 2013
2 Thank hoosier16
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Cecil Hotel is located near many restaurants, ranging from local specialties at less than $7 a plate, to touristy offerings full of both tourists and locals. Also convenient are public transportation, Ancient Greek and Roman ruins, heritage sites, etc; The list goes on. My wife and I enjoy walking so we found the climb to the Acropolis was convenient and easy from the hotel (I am in my late 60's). The Monastiraki Metro is less than 3 blocks away; Monastiraki Square is full of life every evening. We stayed a total of 9 nights split up by a cruise, side-trips to Cyprus and Crete, and 6 weeks driving around Greece (self-guided in a car arranged by the desk staff at the hotel). The breakfast is minimal but enough to have kept us going until we found something local and interesting for lunch and supper. All desk staff were generous in offering advice and information and for arranging taxis. We had free wifi in most areas though rooms in the top floors were out of range. (We were OK as we had a mobile 'hotspot' for a reasonable price from a service provider just a few doors away). We would stay there again. As an aside, the old-fashioned elevator is a treat to experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the free wifi if you want to access the net in your room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank waywright
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2012

It's a very basic but cheap hotel. The location is average and some people may be intimidated walking near there at night. It was no worries for us as my wife and I have travelled extensively. The included breakfast is not worth mentioning and they had the worst coffee I've ever had. The rooms weren't the cleanest, we had to remove the duvet since it had dirty footprints and other stains all over it. Thankfully the bedsheets were fine enough to use. The walls have marks on them for dirty hands, feet and scuffs all over them. The hotel and rooms would be nice if they had a serious update of new carpets and some paint.
For the most part the staff are friendly and helpful, and willing to make suggestions on places to go.
We only stayed two nights as we passed through Athens, had I been staying longer I would have changed hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple