2,495 results
All reviewsthe club loungefree shuttlecafe zoeshuttle servicesyntagma squaretram stopguest relationsbig hotelan upgraderooms are bigper daysitting areanice poolacropolis viewmini barthe hotel offersvery nice hotel
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We stayed in this hotel 3 nights in Sep 2010. We were upgraded and got suite that was total disappointment - 2 big but dark rooms plus big kitchen (absolutely useless space!). The room and especially bathroom were rundown, everything needs total renovation! Hotel is very expensive for what it offers. But it has very nice bar/restaurant on top of the roof and another good point is a free shuttle bus to the city center. The pool area is not bad but water is very cold..
I will not recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2010

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for having chosen the Athenaeum InterContinental on your visit to Athens in September and for taking the time to share your valuable comments. We apologise for the disappointment caused to you with regard to the upgraded accommodation you were allocated. Our hotel, has indeed, renovated five out of our nine floors and the remaining floors have been scheduled for renovation, including the floor on which you stayed. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our multi-award winning Premiere Bar and Restaurant as well as our complimentary shuttle bus service. Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 4, 2010

5 night with wife and 3 years kid, i read a lot of reviews about Athens hotels and it was my first time there so i choose to pay little more and stay in a standard i know, the hotel was as we expect, little far from "Plaka Area" but the taxis are available at the front of the hotel, they have ultra professional concierge service which we booked trips through, the rooms was so clean, the mini bar and room service was so pricey but there's a small kiosk just 20m far sells every thing

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2010

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent visit to Athens with your family. We are delighted to learn that our service and facilities met with your expectations and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

We stayed at the IC Athens during Easter 2010. We received great attention as Ambassador Members and a very nice room with a splendid view towards the Acropolis.
The room was clean, up to date and spacious. The water pressure of the shower was satisfactory and so were the amnieties in the bathroom.
The Club Lounge was accomodating, and breakfast was a good choice with a nice terrace and polite staff.
I am used to 24h free Internet at Hyatt, and do not understand that IC doesn´t change their policy for Ambassadors, but you receive some half an hour at the Club-level in Athens of free internet usage time. I did not detect a wireless connection though.
We used our car, and always found a free space arond the hotel area.
We would return again, if the price is right and would prefer this Hotel to the Marriott, as it is a little more modern and up-to-date.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2010

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

Thank you for having chosen the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent visit to Athens. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are delighted to learn that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. As a valued Ambassador member, we are pleased to learn that we met with your expectations with regard to accommodation, facilities and service. May we take this opportunity to inform you that complimentary access to the internet is available to Ambassador members at certain InterContinental hotels when reserving the Ambassador Internet Rate either through the Ambassador website, the Ambassador Reservations Centre or directly with the hotel that offers the special rate. Our hotel participates in this special offer and is, in fact, equipped with wireless internet connection throughout the hotel. We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Athens.

Reviewed September 28, 2010

We spent the last two nights of a trip to Greece at this property, having bid and received it through Priceline ($90).

The good: The property is very clean; modern in places (lobby, of course), and well staffed. The room was large; the bed comfortable, and the room had most of the amenities you would expect of an InterContinental property. A complimentary shuttle runs on a posted schedule to take you and from to the 'city centre' area several times daily.

The not-so-good: This hotel is in the middle of no-where as far as Athens is concerned. The shuttle is a help, but then you're on their schedule, and you have to go to and be picked up from one location. Some times the shuttle is late due to traffic, so you're sitting in a busy bus/taxi area. We waiting 45 minutes one evening after walking about 12 blocks to get to the stop. We were there 10 minutes before scheduled pickup. Thankfully it was not raining or cold. There are absolutely no shops, cafes or restaurants within walking distance of this property, so if you are not wanting to go out three times a day to eat, you're forced to use the hotel's extremely overpriced restaurants. We went up to the roof restaurant to price a meal; about 45e or higher PER ENTREE. Crazy.

I noticed no iron in the room, so I called the desk to find out if I could get one. I was informed there was an 'ironing room' located three floors and several hundred paces from my room. (This property is spread out over about a city block, and the halls are long. We were in the 80's from the centre of the hotel, so quite a walk every time we had to go and come from our room. Having to take our clothes to a completely different area of the hotel to iron them was very inconvenient, and I just wonder WHY? Another guest told us they had an iron in their room....why didn't the hotel offer to provide us an iron? Very weird!

The rooms (at least the one we had, and from the looks of it, the entire floor we were on as well as the 'ironing room' floor) are getting dated, and will soon need re-decorating. The room was very clean, and we had no complaints, but it just looks tired.

Mini bar: WAY over-priced....A small coke: 6.5 e! Half-can of Pringles: 6.5E! To rent a movie on the TV: 18e! That's right...18e!

Enough of the 'not-so-good'. Now...

The BAD: We approached the "Guest Services" person at her desk right next to the reception on our last night, and inquired about a good steak house, as it was my birthday. We had looked up several options on this website as well as through normal search engines. She told us the 'concierge' would be the person to speak to. This was an older gentleman in tails at the reception area. We gave him our list, and he immediately discounted all locations, saying they were 'too far away' from us. (Everything seemed to be 'too far away' from this property...). He told us he would HIGHLY recommend the "Butcher Shop", as it had good food, great prices, and was in a 'newer' area of Athens. We felt we could trust his opinion, and we took a cab at 10e to get to this restaurant. (He had written the name and address of the restaurant in Greek for the driver...) (Reminder that we had informed them we were wanting a nice restaurant to celebrate a birthday...). When we arrived at this restaurant, we were sure it was the wrong place. It was more of a 'taverna' than a restaurant. The tables were mostly outside; it was warm, but evening was setting in and it was going to be chilly. The small inside was smoky (still allowed in Greece....), so our only option would have been to sit outside. The tables were like cafe tables; no tableclothes; etc. Very informal. For fun, we looked at the menu, and guess what? NO STEAKS! I was NOT IMPRESSED!

Thankfully, we had eaten at a lovely roof-top restaurant at the Titania Hotel (Olive Garden) (Not to be confused with the American "Olive Garden"...not even CLOSE!). This restaurant, which is just a few blocks from the Plaka, has an amazing menu and beautiful views of the Acropolis. I will be posting a review of this restaurant....it was by far the best dining experience while in Athens, and perhaps one of the best of our whole trip.

When we were checking out the next morning, I saw this same 'concierge', and pulled out the paper he had written the name of the restaurant on, and informed him we were completely unimpressed with this recommendation, and stated it was NOT a steak house, nor was it in a 'newer' section of Athens. He basically discounted our opinion, and treated us as though we were somehow mistaken about his recommendation. A surley apology of sorts followed and he scooted off to the back room.

If that is the level of information (MISINFORMATION!) available from someone who appears to be a senior staff and is wearing the title of "Concierge", then something is dreadfully wrong! Intercontinental shoud be more aware of the needs of its guests, and provide proper recommendations outside their own over-priced restaurants.

Do yourself a favour: Stay somewhere closer to the centre of town; near the Acropolis and the Plaka shopping area. There are lots of BEAUTIFUL hotels down there. That's where you'll be spending your time, and you DON'T want to be stuck in Intercontinetal-land!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VACanuck
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2010

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

May we begin by expressing our most sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced on your recent stay at our hotel, due to the level of service you received from our Concierge desk. We have investigated your comments with regard to the restaurant suggestion of ‘Butcher Shop’, that is indeed an informal restaurant located in the Gazi neighbourhood, the latest up and coming neighbourhood of Athens. Whilst it is true that the area is not ‘new’, the suggestion was based on the fact that you had requested a steak restaurant and this one is frequented by many locals. The menu itself is based on meat dishes, as the name of the restaurant suggests, and does, in fact, include steaks. However, we understand why the restaurant did not meet with your expectations, considering the fact that you were celebrating a birthday and we are indeed sorry for the disappointment caused.
With regard to your comment about the hotel’s complimentary shuttle bus service to Syntagma square, may we take this opportunity to inform you that alternative transportation is easily accessible. The local bus stop, tram stop and metro station are all within a very short walking distance from the hotel and our staff is more than happy to assist with additional information.
As for our multi-award winning Premiere roof top restaurant, the cost of an entree, in fact, ranges from Euro 20 to Euro 35 while our main courses range from Euro 28 to Euro 39.
We have also noted your comment regarding your request for an iron and would like apologise for the inconvenience that was caused to you due to the fact that your room was not supplied with one. We are currently in the process of renovating our guest rooms and an iron and ironing board inside the closet is one of the standard features. As such, we expect that all our rooms will be fully equipped with this facility in the near future. In the meantime, our laundry department operates on a 24 hour basis and as an alternative, we maintain an ironing room on our 4th floor.
We would like to thank you for your feedback as it is through comments such as yours that we are able to identify certain areas in need of improvement. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental in the near future.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

I am a loyal Priority Club member and this is one of the poorest representatives of the Intercontinental brand I have experienced. The bar staff at the bar and pool, the Ambassador Club representative and the room service staff were polite, helpful and personable, but pretty much everyone else acted like they were being put out when doing their jobs . The staff at Cafe Vienna spent a great deal of time chatting amongst themselves with their backs to my part of the lounge and it took 5 minutes of waving on my part before being noticed. The food was of a reasonable quality but poorly prepared - a watery burger and cold fries. Similarly, the bread and doughnuts at breakfast were stale.

The reception staff were harried and would barely make eye contact - I had no idea if one transaction was complete as after I asked if I could give a staff member an envelope, she plucked it out of my hand without a word on her part and leaned over to a colleague and started chatting in Greek - after a minute she noticed I was still standing in front of her and was informed, "You can go"!

The porters were surly even after being well tipped, but the tipping point is that communication between the them and the reception desk leaves a great deal to be desired. After checking out, I waited for my heavy bag to be brought down and taxi called. As as this was taking a while, and I thought I'd ask the concierge a separate question about the city. At the desk I was told by a different staff member that my bag had been brought down a while ago and that my taxi had been ready for several minutes with the meter running. Outside, asking the bell captain if everything was ready for me to go, he informed me that he indicated that everything had been for a while. Fortunately, I was not going to the airport, as when we reached my destination I discovered there was no luggage in the car. Driving me back to the hotel, the porter found my bag and had it loaded into the car by a junior colleague without a word and started to walk back inside. My taxi driver called him back and demanded an explanation - to which the bell captain eventually apologised to the driver, and not to me. I expressed my disbelief to the bell captain, who shrugged at me. I could not believe it.

Shrugging is the modus operandi at this hotel and I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank LavenderLawn
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2010

Dear TripAdvisor Reader,

May we begin by expressing our most sincere apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience you experienced on account of our staff who haphazardly handled your departure from our hotel as well as the level of service you received from our Front Desk agent. While we aim to offer the highest level of service and facilities to our guests, it seems that we fell well short of offering you an experience in keeping with your expectations.
May we assure you that these issues will be addressed with the staff concerned in order to ensure that similar lapses in service do not reoccur. We thank you for your valuable feedback and trust that the lapses in service you experienced on this visit will not deter you from returning to the Athenaeum InterContinental on your next visit to Athens.