2,690 results
All reviews the club lounge free shuttle shuttle service cafe zoe syntagma square big hotel spacious rooms an upgrade per day the hotel offers nice pool sitting area acropolis view very nice hotel mini bar top floor five star hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed September 19, 2017 via mobile

The attention to detail and commitment to customer satisfaction make this our number one choice in Athens. We enjoy staying just outside the main core of the city, with the convenience of the shuttle bus for travel back and forth.

The club lounge offers a very decent breakfast, tea and coffee throughout the day, and appetizers and drinks before dinner time. Good selection and worth the extra.

The Club customer service employees are amazing and will help you in any way they can.

Beds and linens are also high quality and the rooms are quiet. The Premiere restaurant is excellent, especially the degustation menu!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
marthapallis, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2017

Dear Chris R,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst visiting Athens this month and for taking the time to share your feedback. It is truly a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed or Club InterContinental service and facilities as well as the convenience of our complimentary daily shuttle bus service to Syntagma square. Moreover, that your dining experience at our award-winning Premiere restaurant contributed towards a memorable stay. We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed September 18, 2017

We flew into the Athens airport and took Uber to the hotel at 10 am. The hotel accommodated the bags while a room was not ready until later in the day. The concierge at the desk was helpful on how to spend the day. The hotel shuttle was often full so it wasn't easy to use it to go to the city center. The walk isn't bad to just get their on your own. The room was clean, comfortable bed, a shower (more US style than European a big plus for me as I tend to get water everywhere).

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
marthapallis, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2017

Dear Julie E,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens earlier this month and for writing a review about your experience. It pleases us greatly to learn that your enjoyed our accommodations as well as the convenience of our location. We thank you again for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens.

Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

So I caution you ...this place is not in the city center and while on a map it looks close enough it just isn't. The have a shuttle that runs you back and forth about every half an hour, a tram which is close by, and a bus along the road. The tram and bus rarely ask more money and I couldn't find a way to pay them (I even offered)

Definitely go for the breakfast included option. It's like $20 more a day when you reserve but $40 on premises. There's nowhere good to eat nearby. The buffet looked well above average but just south of amazing. Eggs made to order, sausage, bacon, patries, your usual stuff

The rooftop bar, while nice, is overpriced. It has a nice open air view of the acropolis but so does every other hotel in the city center which you can go to while you're downtown

The rooms are spacious Even by American standards. Mattress wasn't the most comfortable I've ever been on but still very good; excellent by European standards

The gym here is good for a hotel gym.

The lobby is vast and inviting, very comfortable. Service is a little slow.

Staff is helpful

Daily cleaning plus daily turndown service

Pool area is oversold on the website pics but still ok.

In general, it's a nice place to stay but as a tourist who wanted to be on the go from sunrise to late night I would have rather paid more for a smaller room in the city center. If you want the comfort/luxury and don't mind ha ging in the hotel through the hotter parts of the day this place is good

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank rmisra41
marthapallis, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2017

Dear rmisra41,
Thank you for choosing the Athenaeum InterContnental for your visit to Athens this month and for writing a detailed review about your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast buffet, room comfort and recreational facilities. May we take this opportunity to clarify that the cost of our Athenaeum buffet breakfast is Euro 32 per person. We have also noted your comments about the public transportation system and would like to advise you that tickets for public transport need to be pre-purchased either from the automated ticket machine at the tram stop, at all metro stations and at certain kiosks. Our Concierge desk is more than happy to provide more information about the public transport network. We thank you again for your valuable comments and hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Form over Substance

As an IHG Spire Ambassador I thought that this hotel would value your custom. They do not! In fact it has in my eyes damaged the IHG brand.

The facts :-

Checked In at 4am and no one helped me or my partner with our luggage (2 large bags). I suspect because we were wearing shorts (Chinos) they looked at us like we were low life! Complained with minimal apology.

The area around the hotel has many sex shops and strip bars. Would not recommend walking anywhere at night here if you value your wallet or purse...

No access to club lounge for elite members. It appears to be an added extra cost now...€75 per night... so IHG status is worthless.

The reason why I booked this hotel was because of IHG and the view overlooking the Acropolis from the top floor bar. I thought it would be a nice evening drink on my girlfriends birthday. However, the bar has a dress code on the door. No shorts or flips flops (See photo). No where on the hotel website or on the Ambassador booking line was this explained. So I get denied entry (bar was empty. See photo)... I am wearing smart new brown flip flops, knee length cream Tommy Hilfiger chino shorts, and a blue ironed shirt sleeve collared shirt (see photo). I do not think I look scruffy. I am on holiday in a hot country so I do not need to carry trousers. The bar desk manager offered trousers for me, and said my girlfriend was ok (even though she was in chino shorts).... I didn't want to wear pre worn trousers (who had worn them before), and plus it was a hot evening!. I spoke to the deputy manager on main reception who basically said it was the rules. He said he would take feedback etc, but you could tell from his body language it would go nowhere! Waste of time. Customer is always right certainly does not apply here!

In my eyes the issue is clear.

1) It is an act of miss selling. You pay for a hotel and expect to be able to access the amenities etc but instead you are turned away due to an outdated dress code that is not documented or explained before arrival! You are not getting what you pay for.

2) I get the impression they would prefer someone who can turn up in a cheap suit and stay for one night or buy one expensive drink on credit vs a loyal IHG traveller. The hotel is all form over substance... translated.... the hotel likes to look good, but underneath it is rotten!

Had it not been 7pm, and my last night I would have checked out!

So in anticipation of the hotels response (if I'm lucky enough to get one)... yes you did offer trousers... but this is an outside bar in the evening sun in a hot country. The bar was empty. I was not scruffy. I am a resident guest in your hotel. I do not want to wear trousers that may not have been washed for months... Use your discretion or update your policy to be in line with modern day dress codes. This is not 1960.

I will never visit this hotel again. I advise you don't either! Check out the Hilton or Marriott instead! They know how to treat guests!

5  Thank SubaKat
marthapallis, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2017

Dear SubaKat,

Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for writing a review about your experience. We are very sorry for the disappointment we have caused you and would like to address the issues you have raised. To begin with, the lapse in service you received upon arrival from our bell staff is indeed rare and we would like to express our sincere apologies for this incident. May we assure you that the necessary corrective action has already been taken in order to ensure that a similar incident does not reoccur. Regarding complimentary access to the Club InterContinental lounge, we would like to advise you that, according to the terms and conditions of the IHG Rewards Club program, this is not one of the benefits of the Spire Elite Ambassador status. Concerning our fine-dining Premiere restaurant and lounge, indeed, a dress code applies during all hours of operation which is displayed on the sign on the 9th floor, before one takes the staircase to the rooftop. In the case where a guest has not brought the appropriate clothing, a pair of trousers is provided which is dry-cleaned immediately after it has been worn by the guest. Once again, thank you again for your valuable comments. We trust that on a future visit to Athens, we will be given the opportunity to restore your impression of our hotel.

Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

Probably the worst InterContinental Hotel we've ever stayed at, and we are Spire a Ambassadors. We expect much better in terms of service (poor), room quality (average), and cleanliness (good). We were very disappointed.

The room is spacious but nothing special, and we've seen better bathrooms at a Holiday Inn. It was clean, which is more than I could say for the neighborhood.

Service: poor. The hotel did not extend the amenities and did not roll out the welcome carpet for its loyal Spire Ambassador members. And they poorly manage the queue, leading to guests stepping in front of queued guests that resulted in arguments (both observed and experienced). There is much to improve in this area.

We debated between a three (average) or two (poor) rating. We would not recommend this hotel, and we do not plan to return to it in the future.

1  Thank BRIANandRONNIE2010

Dear BRIANandRONNIE2010,
Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for writing a review about your experience. We are very sorry to learn that your stay us did not meet with your expectations and would like to express our sincere apologies for the disappointment caused to you. We have noted your comments about your check-in experience and would like to apologies for any mishandling on our part. May we assure you that such lapses in our usually high standards of service are indeed rare and your feedback will be addressed in order to ensure that a similar situation does not re-occur. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We hope that on a future visit to Athens, you will allow us the opportunity to restore your impression of our hotel.