“The Perfect Hotel!”

Ranked #28 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Dhahran
“The Perfect Hotel!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I have just returned from two weeks in my version of paradise – Athens, Greece. I love Athens. My family and I travel to Athens every summer for a family reunion. And every summer for the past three years we return to the InterContinental Athenaeum Athens. Once we found this hotel we have never considered going anywhere else. And next summer we will once again stay at our favorite Hotel… because nowhere else would be as perfect, as completely comfortable, and as welcoming as the InterContinental Athenaeum Athens.

This is more than a five star hotel. This is a perfect hotel. It has everything I need, and to be honest, when I travel I need and want a lot from my hotel. I want friendly service, cleanliness, a large and bright suite, comfortable beds, great housekeeping, plus a great Club Lounge, a very good concierge staff, excellent restaurants on site… yes; I am not easy to please. I want perfection. And every single year that is exactly what I am given by the amazing staff at the InterContinental Athenaeum Athens. They are fantastic. Every single person on the staff has my gratitude for making our stay once again perfect. My family was happy to be back – and we were greeted like old friends, especially by the wonderful people staffing the Club Lounge. What a perfect setting. Excellent foods, great smiling service, and a view of the Acropolis right from the balcony. Could life get any better? Not if you choose to stay at this hotel. And that is what we will continue to do, because there is not a better choice for a hotel in all of Athens.

So once again I thank the entire staff of the InterContinental Athenaeum Athens for a perfect stay in my favorite city. Five stars does not begin to do justice to this fantastic hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank PSKSADhahran
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear PSKSADhahran

Thank you for your patronage to the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for your very kind comments. We are delighted to learn that we are your favorite hotel in Athens and that both you and your family return to our hotel each summer for a family reunion. Our staff take great pride in offering a high level of service to our guests and we are pleased to learn that this is one of the reasons you choose to stay at our hotel. We thank you again for your commendations and look forward to welcoming you back next summer.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

The Intercontinental was exactly what you'd expect - clean and professional. The breakfast spread was impressive, but I'm glad it was included in the price of our room because it was expensive to pay for it alone. The pool was busy on the weekend.

Stayed July 2014
ICAthens, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Athenaeum, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear manielle,
Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens. Guest satisfaction is our primary aim and we are pleased to learn that your stay with us met with your expectations. We thank you for your valuable comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Location is perfect to move around Athens with ease, the hotel offers a shuttle that drives you to and from the hotel to the city center. Service is splendid and staff is very friendly. One complaint is the beds are not the best... Surpisingly for a chain hotel. We all ended up with back pain and discomfort.

• Stayed August 2014
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for seven days at the end of July and without doubt it is the perfect place to stay in Athens. Although about 10 minutes drive from the city there is a courtesy bus and it's quite nice to be away from the city. If you are staying here it's a must to eat in the rooftop restaurant... It was an amazing experience. The view of the Acropolis as you are sitting down to eat a perfect meal, served by extremely attentive staff was a memory I will never forget. The rooms are extremely spacious, and housekeeping staff were great, in fact all staff at this hotel went above and beyond to make our stay one to remember.

Room Tip: If you ask for a room on the upper floors you may well get a view of Acropolis
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sue S
Dear Sue S,
Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental whilst travelling to Athens last July. It is truly a pleasure to learn that our hotel is ‘the perfect place to stay in Athens’. We have noted that our staff service and your dining experience at our Premiere restaurant contributed to making your stay a memorable one. We thank you for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Our TA had upgraded us to this hotel with an Acropolis view room and it really was a treat. The room was spacious and comfortable with all amenities and did have a great view towards the Parthenon which was spectacular when illuminated at night. If you sign up to the IHG rewards scheme in advance free wifi is available in the room otherwise it is only free in the lobby. There is an ATM machine in the lobby which is useful. I was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a large, impersonal conference hotel, but the staff were very friendly. As others have noted there is a free shuttle service to the centre of town which we took, which is very convenient. If you ask you can be dropped outside the new Acropolis Museum. On another occasion, we walked which took about twenty minutes. Athens is not an attractive city and to be honest, I did not feel that the area that the hotel is situated in is any worse than any other we saw. One taxi driver did find the hotel difficult to find. Due to its size, the hotel does feel a tad impersonal, and needs updating in parts. I also felt that the check in at reception could have been more efficient - more staff are needed as there were only two reception clerks on duty dealing with both check in and check out. Our rate included breakfast which was an excellent buffet. We did not use the pool but it looked very pleasant. We only stayed one night prior to a cruise departing from Piraeus port and the hotel is conveniently situated for direct access to the port area.

Room Tip: A high floor with an acropolis view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Apuleius
Dear Apuleius,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens before boarding your cruise from Piraeus port. It is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our facilities, staff service and extensive breakfast buffet. We thank you for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I stayed at the InterContinental Athenaeum at Athens recently and would definitely recommend it to other travelers as its value for money.
Location is very nice, just 2 miles from the heart of Athens and provide an all day Free Shuttle which is always on time for the pick up and drop from Hotel to the city centre and leaves almost every 30 minutes, very very convenience.
The receptionists, the Concierge, the Bell Captain all are very professional and courteous and answered all my queries to perfection and were very very helpful in me planning my day trips during my stay at the Hotel.
The Hotel also booked my day tours, and did not charge me anything extra other than the tour costs, which was nice.
Taxis are available round the clock.
The Top Floor restaurant has stunning views of the Acropolis at night and has the most amazing wine collection, though very highly priced.
Room is neat and clean, and size of the room and bathroom was like any 5 star Hotel.
Only internet is chargeable (6 Euros/day), which can be avoided if you are a member of the Intercon card, if not one should register before check-in.
Breakfast if not already included in your room charge is expensive, but the spread is amazing, so was worth it.
Overall a great experience at the Hotel, would recommend it!!

Room Tip: Pool View Rooms are better!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Raghav1111
Dear Raghav1111,
Thank you for staying with us at the Athenaeum InterContinental Athens and for your recommendation. We are delighted to learn that our location and complimentary shuttle bus service to Syntagma square were suited to your needs. In addition, we have noted that our staff service, accommodations and breakfast met with your expectations, while your dining experience at our Premiere restaurant contributed to making your stay a memorable one.
We thank you for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Athens.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for about a week the staff was great everyone was very helpful nice hotel although I did feel the rooms were a tad bit out dated an that's even after we upgraded to club level. I would recommend this hotel for your stay as I did enjoy my stay an would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear buggsT,

Thank you for staying at the Athenaeum InterContinental on your recent visit to Athens and for your recommendation. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Athens and the Athenaeum InterContinental.