Have just returned from a luxurious weekend in this hotel. We had paid for a room giving access to the club lounge and we were directed to this lounge for check-in. We had a room on the 9th floor with a view across to the Acropolis. The double bed was huge as it was 2 single beds put together presumably with a mattress topper as there was no gap between them and was very comfortable. We tried to watch a film in our room on the Friday evening but unfortunately it wasn't working. Breakfast in the club lounge had a very good selection of hot and cold dishes. Tea, coffee, and soft drinks were available all day, with cakes and cookies in the afternoon. From 6.00 - 9.00p.m. there was wine, a couple of hot appetisers, various tiny bites and biscuits and cheese.- not as extensive as in some other Intercontinental club lounges but quite adequate. Our eyes were always drawn across to the floodlit Acropolis. All the staff in the club lounge were extremely helpful, friendly and professional.
Cafe Vienna in the lobby has a lovely atmosphere with a pianist playing in the evening. I enjoyed a massage in the spa and you could use the sauna and steam room before any treatments but it would have been nice to just have some comfortable chairs to relax on after a full day sightseeing.
The hotel is away from the main tourist area in quite a run-down area but we made good use of the free shuttle, being dropped off the first morning nearer to the Acropolis and being picked up each day from Syntagma Square. It is worth getting to the Acropolis early in the morning as even in the winter it was getting very crowded as we were making our way down. The 12 euro ticket gives access to all the main historical sites so is excellent value. The Plaka area is good for cafes and souvenir shops.
Overall, a good base for a luxury weekend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No wonder the Athenaeum InterContinental has been named Greece s leading hotel time and again. Athens largest guestrooms, award winning fine dining venues and a central location appeal to business and leisure travellers alike. Within a few kilometres are the Acropolis, the Parthenon, the Temple of Apollo and the PlÃ¡ka. Metro and tram stations are also nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Athenaeum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Athenaeum Hotel Athens
- Intercontinental Hotel Athens
- Intercontinental Hotel Athenaeum