I have just returned from a two night stay on business - my third visit to the hotel this year. i love it here and it just feels like my home in Athens - whether on business or with family. It is large and at risk of being impersonal but what makes it so special are the staff.
It is rare in Athens, particularly at 5* hotels to find friendly staff. Here, there appears to be real pride in their work and this is a superb reflection on management. I had problems on each of my previous two visits. One related to babysitting being booked at the wrong time, meaning that I potentially missed a family engagement, and the second was (despite advertising availability of a 3 hour pressing service 24 hours a day), my clothes were not returned in a timely manner - giving cause for panic!
Problems will occur. What makes a good hotel is the way they are dealt with. In each of these situations, guest services put the matter right in a re-assuring way and made the appropriate recompense - in the case of babysitting (seeing how stressed my wife was) the Guest Relations Manager went over and above her call of duty to ensure we were happy.
I like the location - in a residential part of town and 4 stops on the tram (or a trip on the complimentary bus) to Syntagma Square - or a 15 minute walk to the Acropolis and to shops/restaurants. The concierge is fantastic - really anxious to ensure you get the best out of your stay in Athens.
There are other Athens hotels that I have stayed at. Some are in better locations, some have an indoor pool, some have larger outdoor pools. Nowhere is perfect. But, overall, I love this place and can't think of anywhere else I would ever wish to stay. Extras aren't cheap but are in line with Athens prices. Despite being there on business, I wanted to stay an extra day and was sad to leave. My schedule will bring me back in March - but I will do all I can to come earlier.
I particularly look forward to a Beer in the Bar (served at a temperature which is perfect - in an iced glass) by a superb barman who remembered me from my last visit, the friendly staff, excellent service, expansive (although expensive) buffet breakfast and the dedication and professionalism of the team on the Club Floor - thank you Theodoros for making my stay so welcoming.
It is so rare for a large, chain hotel to give the feeling of warmth and recognition that I experience here on each visit. I look forward to being back and recommend the hotel to visitors on either business or pleasure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No wonder the Athenaeum InterContinental has been named Greece s leading hotel time and again. Athens largest guestrooms, award winning fine dining venues and a central location appeal to business and leisure travellers alike. Within a few kilometres are the Acropolis, the Parthenon, the Temple of Apollo and the PlÃ¡ka. Metro and tram stations are also nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Bookgreece.com, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Athenaeum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Athenaeum Hotel Athens
- Intercontinental Hotel Athens
- Intercontinental Hotel Athenaeum