“Stanley Hotel has many pluses!”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #90 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Oconomowoc
“Stanley Hotel has many pluses!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at the Stanley for three nights in September 2012 through Gate 1 Travel. Since I was traveling alone, I was a bit concerned that I would be placed into one of the tiny rooms with one twin bed. So I wrote to confirm my reservation and stated that I would be willing to upgrade my room depending on the cost. A kind gentleman wrote back to say that he would place me in a nice twin room with view of the Acropolis at no charge! So that was very nice. Overall the hotel is a good budget option, there aren't a lot of fancy touches. My room on the 8th floor was clean and well appointed. The bathrooms are small, mine had a tub and shower combo. The breakfast was fine, the usual fare with a selection of sandwich meats and such, eggs, sausage, cereals, breads, and of course Greek yogurt. On the square where the hotel is located, there are kiosks and small establishments with bakery, water, snacks, postage stamps, etc. Another very convenient aspect is that the hop on hop off bus's stop #13 is right there. You can get on the bus first thing at 9:58 and buy a ticket for 18 euro. This ticket is good for 2 days. The bus stops at all the main tourist sights or certainly near to where you want to go. I used this and walking as my mode of transportation for both days. At 18 euro it's cheaper than taking multiple taxis - plus I'd heard so much about taxi drivers ripping you off.
As far as the hotel staff. The first night I arrived, the older gentleman behind the counter seemed ambivalent to my being there, but I'm used to that in Europe. The young porter who brought my bags up, however, was quite friendly, explained things and was very courteous. Another young man at the reception desk was nice as well; he helped me when the wifi password I was given didn't work.
I ate dinner one evening at the rooftop restaurant. First it took a while to be seated because the head waiter seemed to be engaged in a conversation with a patron. Once I was seated, it took some time to be waited on. I finally got up and asked someone at the bar if I could have a glass of wine. I'd had a long day of sightseeing in the heat and was tired. I was brought a glass of wine, but I think I got the man in a little trouble because the head waiter did not seem pleased that he did that. I'm not sure though! For dinner I ordered a beef fillet. It was ok, and overall I would give the experience a 3 when you count in the scenery!
Nin

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Acropolis view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HotelStanley, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for providing such an in-depth recap of your experience with us at The Hotel Stanley. It is also nice to hear such level of detail about your stay as it helps us ensure we are providing a quality experience to all guests, as well hearing about areas we can improve.

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our central location within Athens and our rooftop restaurant. We appreciate your honest comments about our staff, and will examine our restaurant seating process to determine how we can improve it.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Best Regards,
General Manager, Hotel Stanley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Finnish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I am actually sitting by the pool at the Stanley Hotel as I write this.

My husband booked this hotel last minute as a stop over in Athens before heading to the islands. Extremely well priced for what you get and the service is exceptional. We have been traveling through the UK and Europe for the past 3 weeks and this is the first time our bags have been taken to our room for us.

The rooms are not fancy but have everything you need, are well air conditioned and good blinds.

We had a fantastic dinner and drink at the rooftop restaurant and bar last night. The food was excellent.

If traveling with your family and don't want to spend the earth on good accommodation I would highly recommend!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We are so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at The Hotel Stanley, and especially glad to hear that you shared your experience with us from our rooftop Wi-Fi connection while overlooking Athens.

We would like to thank you for your comments. It is our aim to provide the best possible level of service and we’re glad you were satisfied with our staff, our rooftop restaurant, pool, and rooms.

If you find yourself in Athens again in the future, please let us know and we’ll do our best to accommodate you once again.

Best Regards,
Stefanos Poulios,
sydney
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The staff were fantastic nothing was to much trouble, they did all they could to accommodate our needs especially conidering we arrived early after a long flight they made the room available so we could have refresh and have a sleep. Location was also great with the metro only 50 meters away. A very positive recommendation from us!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ashton76Sydney
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments with the Trip Advisor community. We are very glad to hear that you had enjoyable stay with us at The Hotel Stanley and that our staff was able to accommodate your early arrival.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Travelling from the airport to the Stanley is easy by Metro. The hotel is large, clean and efficient, displaying a 70s retro style. Being situated less than 10 minutes on foot from Omonia Square places the Stanley in a relatively central position while offering reasonable rates for a city hotel; 65Euros a night before August for a double room, 75 during August. I have been staying at the Stanley since 1987 and will continue to do so when visiting Athens, if for no other reason other than to enjoy the stunning view of the Parthenon from the roof top bar; watch it at sunset. The small roof-top pool is a welcome facility when Athens bakes in the mid 40s. A note to the management - deal with pigeon problem on the roof.

Room Tip: Choose one as close to the top to increase viwe potential
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to hear from a guest that has been staying with us for more than two decades. We’d like to thank you for posting your comments after your recent stay at The Hotel Stanley, and we are glad you had a chance to enjoy our rooftop bar, restaurant and pool.

We would also like to thank you for critique about the birds. We are actively working to discourage the pigeons on our roof, including urging all guests to refrain from feeding them while dining. We will continue to monitor this to ensure we create the best possible experience for our guests.

We hope to see you again soon.

Heraklion
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I love Greece because of its magnificent historic monuments as well as the sea and the people who are kind and helpful and the cities are always lively.
The hotel has accessibility to public transport either by metro or buses and many travel agencies arround that for ferry tickets to the islands.
The swimming pool and roof bar was very nice and the breakfast was perfect as well. The staff were also very helpful.
I recommend every traveler to arrange a trip to the islands specially crete and chios, besides, the ferries are very well organized for this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments after your recent stay at The Hotel Stanley.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and your experience was a pleasurable one. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Checked in here for one night after ferry hopping around the Islands. Needed somewhere cheap, close to a metro station ready to travel to the airport and not too far from the port following our travels. Stanley is all of these, plus it has a pool, a decent view of the Acropolis from the rooftop restaurant, discounted food for booking online and free wifi. For a double room one night cost 40 euros, Bargain!!!

• Stayed August 2012
HotelStanley, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing you comments with the Trip Advisor community. We are very happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay. We strive to provide tremendous value to all of our guests and we are glad that you were able to take advantage of the rooftop pool and restaurant, free wifi, and our convenient location in Athens.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel Stanley the next time you are in Athens.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Hotel was great ! Good location, pool was nice, room was nice and clean. Breakfast was also very good!
Only problem was that, in reception there all cant speak even Moderate English and the situation now in Greece does not affect theyr behavior - service ! Service wasnt everytime so good. The service was rude partially. You have to remember that one and only important think : customers pay Yours payment!
Anyway, if im coming again to Athens ill coming back this hotel !! :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Ville_1986
HotelStanley, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your honest feedback about the Hotel Stanley on Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoyed our rooms, pool and roof garden views, location, and our breakfast.

We would like to apologize if you did not find our service outstanding and we will address these comments with our staff. We strive to provide the best possible service here at the Stanley, and we look forward to having you here again when you visit Athens.

Stefanos Poulios,