“Better than most, but in need a few small changes”
Review of Oscar Hotel

Oscar Hotel
Ranked #95 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Stayed here at the tail end of out trip in Greece. Decent hotel for exploring Athens as you are only a few stops from Syntagma Square.

Room was small, but acceptable. I had a balcony, but it only opened into an ugly part of the building.

Whomever built the stairs needs to get their head examined. The flight from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor is odd and the door/stair connection was even more odd. Elevators did not work properly all the time. If you asked to go to floor 3, you sometimes went to 3 other floors for no reason whatsoever.

The area around the hotel is relatively boring. There are better places to stay, but I liked this enough to stay here again. It had free Wifi in the lobby and breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank David K
There are newer reviews for Oscar Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2011

The Oscar hotel where we stayed in Athens for 3 nights was at the cheaper end of accommodation available. The taxi ride from the port brought us thru graffiti laden buildings (was there any building, window, perspex barrier, without graffiti?) and into a densely populated area of the Greek capital. The hotel was satisfactory. It was old and a bit tired but 100m from the excellent metro system that was cheap, always on time, safe and very clean. Our room was small with a tiny balcony, had a small fridge and TV. A swimming pool was located on the top floor and that afforded a view across to the Acropolis but unfortunately, this was chained off at night and the view was lost. Across the road was a supermarket and a few cafes were nearby. The staff were very helpful and stored our luggage for a couple of days while we were away on a tour. The airport was a long drive away across town and cost us around 42 euros-a lot more than we expected. The breakfast was satisfactory and the free WiFi appreciated.

Room Tip: Book early and ask to be above 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2011

oscar hotel
My family of 3 stayed here on april 21-25 room 41x and on 29-30 room 32x, both with balcony. Probably basic rooms since I was with my daughter's budget school tour.

1.check in- i cannot comment on it because i was in a group tour and the hotel checked in the group in a relatively quick time. There are two lobbies that you can use.

2.elevator= 2 very small one and could fit only 4 average size people rather tightly. if you have luggages, then it will fit only 2 people. beware! the 2 elevators are NOT double door types. The door that you open from the outside is the same door that you see on the inside. as the elevator moves up or down, you will see the stationary door moving. A bit of dangerous I think.
The elevator is rather quick. However, due to the volume of clients, the small size of the elevator, its seems always in use. another advise. When you call for the elevator and it stops on your floor, you had better be aware and pull the door open (opens like a regular door. It does not slide open sideways) or else the elevator will continue on its merry way. The same thing when you are inside; if the elevator stops at your door, you had better open it or the elevator,after a short pause, will continue on its way.

3, stairways- if you decide to walk up the spiral stair way, be aware that there is a hotel keycard operated door to the first floor. And it opens outward in your direction. so if you have luggages, you will find it an acrobatic act to open the door with a keycard, open it in your direction while making sure your luggages do not fall off the narrow spiral steps.

4. The rooms are a tad smaller than budget hotels in the US but not surprisingly small.
The bathroom measures approx. 6 by 7 feet. the towels, surprisingly, are of a decent size and thickness. not exactly fluffy though. there is a master cold and hot water valve on the left wall as you enter the bathroom. It has to be open or else there will be no hot water in the sink or the tub. Three small pieces of soap and tubes of shampoo were given everyday.
There is no electrical outlet of the bathroom. In my room on the 3rd floor, the height of the shower head was less than 5 ft. 3 inches. I had to literally duck under it to be under the shower. STRange that it was place so low.

5. There is no individual ac/heating control of the room. it seems like a centralized unit. You cannot determine if you want cold air or hot air to come out. Although we were there in April, our room was warm. The only way to cool it was to open the balcony door. Obviously we cannot sleep with the door open and the street noises (not too noisy though)coming in.

6. Electricals= Upon entering the our room on the left side is a keycard slot that turns on most of the electricals in the room including the heating/cooling fan. I checked it out and found that there are 4 electrical outlets in the room, 2 being used by the tv and fridge, one by the door to the room and one on the work table. The outlets use a round plug, I think the
4mm size. when you remove the keycard, all electricals including the fan (except the tv/fridge and work table outlet) are shut off. Note that this is not an electronic keycard slot. It is mechanical. You can plug any other card (like your driver's license) into it and the electricals will be turned on.

7. There was a balcony in our room. note that when you open the balcony door, the ac/heat fan turns off! I noted a magnetic switch found on the top of the door.

8. Computers- They have 3 machines in the lobby and wifi. you pay 90 minutes for 5 euros. you can log off and continue someother times to use up your 90 minutes. the card last for 30 days from first activation or until your time is up.

9. Around the area= a big Carrefour supermarket (first floor and basement) across the street supplies every essential you need. To the left of Carrefour is Saturn. The logo looks like the saturn car division of GM but is is actually 3 levels of electronics-tv, memory cards,radios, etc. including sim cards for vodafone, cosmote, and wind- the 3 telecom carriers here. My sim for cosmote cost 5 euro and I loaded it up with 20 euro worth of time. All taken from Saturn.
Saturn is accessed from the ground by as escalator to the first floor.

10. I cannot find the chinese laundry (or any laundry) in the vicinity. I ended washing the small stuff in the sink with laundry soap bought from carrefour. This laundry was mentioned in a prior review

11. Banks,atms= at the ground floor entrance to Saturn is a Citibank atm.
if you exit oscar hotel and turn left, you will reach the entrance to larissa metro in about 40 meters. go underground to cross to the other side ( better than trying to cross the major street
above) you will come out to the regular train station. this is different from the metro. there are 2 atms here.an emporiki bank branch with an atm and a eurobank atm.
There is a National Bank of Greece atm right inside the Larissa metro station next to the metro ticket vending machines. I used it twice as I found the area safe. You are in the view of a transit worker in an office.

12, when you exit oscar and make a left, then another left on the first cross street, you will find an internet cafe and to the end of the next block you will find a bakery. i did not try both of these. i walked around the oscar hotel area and with a few blocks there are quite a few internet cafes but no laundry!

13. Breakfast was not bad= sausage,scrambled and cold hard boiled eggs, bacon, bread,crossant, jam jelly, coffee, tea cereals and juice. But it gets boring after a few mornings. Breakfast hours- I think it was from 630-830 a.m.

When I checked the internet price for the dates I was staying it was USD 85 for a single and 110 for a triple. I checked this via Expedia in February. Would I stay there again? Good question. Everything is convenient and the price, if booked early, is reasonable. A nearby supermarket, electronics store, metro, atms etc. The only thing missing is a laundromat. The big question is the heating/cooling system and your lack of control over it. NO thermostat. Just a a fan speed controller.

• Stayed: April 2011
5  Thank bigwawao
Reviewed October 24, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on a two week trip with gate 1. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your rooms... Trust me its worth it! This place was close to the metro but the area around it was very seedy. The rooms very poorly lit, old carpet and dirty feeling. There was a pool in the top floor that was great. You could have a drink and see the acropolis from the roof. If you are on a tight budget, its fine but I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank curbanfl
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We were away from home for 6 weeks and we stayed in everything from 1 star to 5 star hotels and this was easily the worst.
The room was tired beds were rock hard, the room felt dirty, The lighting in the room was poor.
The bathroom was dingy. The water temperature varied from hot to cold without touching the tap. I am 5 foot 2 inches tall and the shower was too short for me!
At 1pm in the morning a large group of people were yelling in the corridor for well over an hour. There was also loud traffic in the street and car alarms going off.
I would not walk on the streets at night even with my husband in this area.
We were sold internet acces for 5euro for half an hour. The computers kept logging off and the keyboards were dodgy.
However it was close to the metro and train station and the reception staff were friendly.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I note that most of the bad comments about the Oscar are in respect to the student groups that often stay there. I traveled with such tourist groups on three previous stays at the hotel. Yes, they do get rowdy and noisy. But these groups aren't just loud-mouthed American youth. On my most recent stay a double busload of adult Japanese tourists were every bit as noisy, pushy and annoying as our American kids. A group of Aussies were also doing their fair share of partying. Had I been paying for this place on my own personal vacation, I think I'd be a bit irritated too. That's why I pack earplugs in my overnight bag.

The hotel is in pretty decent repair if you've ever seen other Athens hotels and businesses. These are tough times economically in Greece, but the Oscar has so far kept most of their services running and the rooms clean. On my most recent visit the a/c left a lot to be desired, but a hot shower before bed and laying on top of the sheets as the a/c struggled to spew out some cool air allowed me to get some sleep. Compared to walking through the Plaka or ascending up to the Acropolis, the Oscar felt somewaht comfortable. AIr conditioning doesn't seem too popular in Athens.

The breakfasts and dinners were much improved over our past visit in 2007. Breakfast featured hard-boiled and scrambled eggs and hot dogs (?). A nice variety of cereals was available and my mainstay, yoghurt with honey was always at the buffet. Like all the Mediterranean cultures, the Greeks have no idea how to make decent orange juice. The lukewarm water was a tastier compliment to the rolls and meats.

The rooftop pool is a crowd-pleaser. The views of the Acropolis from up there are beautiful. A cozy rooftop bar is a nice way to spend the evening perched above the city of Athens.

As far as dinner, this was where we saw much improvement in our tour accomodations. That salads were fresher, instead of trying to please the kids with Greek versions of American food, the Oscar staff stuck with serving us Greek meals including Moussaka, Spinach pie, Greek salad, and some sort of nicely seasoned chopped meat that tasted like my Grandma's filling for stuffed cabbage.

The location is fabulous with the subway half a block away and the train station just a few steps beyond that. A Chinese laundry is a just a few blocks further away where you can get your clothes washed, dried and folded for 10 Euro. Best of all, if you exit the hotel and take a left walking past the local basketball/playground area and continue another block, you will pass a fabulous bakery with every kind of Greek pastry you'd ever want. They also have a nice gelato selection. Plus the shop is air-conditioned.

Walking past the bakery, go left at the end of the block and continue crossing the street to the block with the big local church. Catacorner from here, at 13 AG. Pavlou is "Tasty Corner". It's a local taverna where many of the locals hang out for dinner or order gyros to go. We ate here every chance we got. Ask for Dimitri. He's the most skilled, fastest blur of a waiter I've ever seen. For 2.30 Euro you get a meat-stuffed gyro and for another 2.50 a big bottle of Mythos to wash it down. Tzatziki and pita bread are similarly priced. The Greek salad is huge with a piece of feta cheese on top that's bigger than any block of feta you would find in an American foodstore. If you want to do an Andrew Zimmern, the lamb's head is a mere 6 Euro. Watermelon is a freebie they throw in at the end of the meal. When our large group of kids couldn't find a vacant table, all the waiters rushed inside to grab table and chairs to create a dining area for us on the sidewalk. An awesome place. There are numerous other tavernas and restaurants in this square as well, including a hookah bar.

• Stayed: July 2010
6  Thank BlueMeenie
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Awesome staff. very responsive. Good breakfast...delicious "red" hot chocolate & amazing Greek Yogurt!

Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business