“Great place to stay for your visit to Athens”

Divani Caravel Hotel
Ranked #54 of 284 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We checked in late as our flight was late at night. The receptionist was very helpful as they upgraded us for free. The room was large with great amenities and Lycabettus view. Free wi-fi with good speed if you want to use your smartphone/ tablets.
The hotel is very convenient located to the city centre-Syntagma square, Kolonaki, Acropolis and the various museums (national gallery, Bodosakeio museum, etc).
The only minor issue was the breakfast buffet.
I would recommend it definitely to someone.
Great value for money!!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
DivanisCollection, General Manager at Divani Caravel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us!

We are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel during your next visit to Athens

Write a ReviewReviews (1,418)

Reviewed December 20, 2013

To begin with... the location is good... its very near to the old Olympic stadia.
The view from the top floor of the acropolis is Magical

I stayed there for six nights and the breakfast was identical on all the six days... makes me wonder if they make the food for the week in one go.

The Lunch on each day special, wide spread buffet and very tasty.

The staff during the day chooses to be helpful but post the "siesta" time somehow the attitude of the front office guys seems to go for a toss.

The gym charges you 8 Euros per use which is obnoxious. I fail to understand why they would charge the in house guests for the use of GYM facilities.

The air conditioning hardly works... and when you facilities management... they go out of their way to prove that it is working till the time their temperature meter proves it otherwise.

The room was not changed even after repeated requests and I was explained that the Air conditioning would be the same in all rooms.

Try staying away from this hotel... there are many other good hotels available at the same price!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sarandeep
DivanisCollection, General Manager at Divani Caravel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Guest

Initially we would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay with us

We are sorry to read that your stay was not as pleasant as we would like it to be. Kindly note that all your comments have been share with my staff and actions are taken to ameliorate any problematic areas.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in one of our premises

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Luckily we got a deal on a late booking website, but if I'd of paid full price I would've been complaining.
This is not up to 5 star standard with the paint & grain effect on the door to the bathroom. Which is also sloppy & slapped up the wall!
The beds are hard & not at all comfortable & there are not non smoking floors so we keep getting the smell of cigarette smoke filling our room at night.
This is coming from the corridors & also the room next door! Really annoying.

The location in Athens is brilliant & the front desk staff are friendly. This hotel is used a lot for business conferences & they seem to sometimes forget about the customers who have chosen to stay here as their holiday hotel.

Would I recommend this hotel? If it was a 4 star then yes but only if you found a deal.

The smoking situation really needs to be addressed.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at Divani Caravel

We are sorry that your stay didn't reach the standards you expected from our hotel. We would like to note that Divani Caravel is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World and we want all our clients to be very satisfied with their choice!

All your comments have been shared with my staff and actions have been take towards ameliorating issues. Kindly note that we do not have non smoking floors but we do have non smoking rooms

We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in our premise

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a total of 6 nights over 2 weeks. Based on the reviews I read about this hotel it was about as expected -- and average hotel. Clearly they cater to large groups both tour and conference. This is not what we expected form this hotel, based on both other tripadvisor reviews and the hotel's web site.
The rooms were clean, and bed comfortable. Make sure the room the room does not have a wood floor - it will be noisy (see room tips).
The breakfast experience was mixed: On some mornings when it was served in the Café Constantinople all was good, with good service. On other mornings at Café Constantinople nothing was good: food not restocked and service confused. However, on one weekend the hotel was busy so it was also served at Brown's Bar-Restaurant - quieter and less hectic. This was a MUCH better experience. But on the last morning they again moved breakfast to another venue - I don;t know the name, but it was in the basement, with no windows, with fake ruins on the wall... with terrible service from the non Greek staff. A really stark contrast with the Café Constantinople.... cold food, bad service... and then when I gave feedback to the concierge, I got an argument from him.... telling me I was wrong in my view! Really? I really wanted to talk to the GM but it was my last day and I did not want to spoil it.
Hotel location is good ... approx 10 mins walk to the subway, some restaurants close by... a nice residential neighborhood... unless you want to be in the chaos closer to the Acropolis (we did not).
And do heed all of the warnings about pickpockets on the subway system... the trains are overcrowded especially at rush hour, and these guys are VERY very good.

Room Tip: DON'T take a room with a wood floor... if I remember right we started on the 5th floor.... the r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not really cheap and sure it is a bit over the top, but due to its employees the service is great.
Leave a coat or trousers on the chair and you will find it in the closet when you come back!
Leave anything on the floor and they find it.
Rooms are good not spacious but clean! Breakfast is good not fantastic but all you need is there.
So it's pleasant to stay there.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ies K

Dear Guest

My team and myself would like to thank you for your lovely review following your stay with us!

We are looking forward to welcome you again in Divani Caravel

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed here on a special convention package that included WiFi, Breakfast and a discounted room rate. This is an outstanding hotel when location, range of offered services and customer service are considered. However, caveat emptor, individual services are lavishly priced when they're not bundled with your room.

MY ROOM was exceptionally well appointed with very comfortable furniture in excellent taste & condition. The bathroom is equally well appointed. I only found the tub to be a bit narrow when used for showering due to the shape of the tub basin.

BREAKFAST was one of the best that I've seen amongst a number of fine hotels on three continents. The only missing article was omelets to order. However, there was such a large variety of breakfast items available that I didn't miss it, nor did I tire of the selection.

WI-FI was fast with no discernible time when it becomes overloaded.

LOCATION was excellent with a number of local dining establishments within a short walk. The Acropolis of Athens was a leisurely and pleasant 1-2 hour stroll (each way).

PRICING OF SERVICES. Like many 5☆ Hotels, this hotel charges for most everything - and they're not pricing for the frugal. For instance: The gym was around €12 per visit. A round of drinks for 5 at the bar can run northward of €75.

Bottom Line: if you can afford it, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I recently stayed here for four nights on business as I was attending a conference there. Wonderful hotel. Very helpful and attentive staff throughout. Lovely quiet rooms, comfy beds (best nights sleep I've had for ages), large bathrooms and the food is to die for. I ordered a Caesar salad via room service and never had one that tasted so good! The view of Athens at night with the floodlit Acropolis is like something from a Disney film. It looks unreal... absolutely breathtaking. Would love to visit and stay here again in the summer. Thank you to everyone. I had a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: The traffic can be a little noisy from the lower floors so ask for a room on a higher floor if you a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business