“3 star hotel by US standard”

Divani Palace Acropolis
Ranked #70 of 325 Hotels in Athens
“3 star hotel by US standard”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

An average size hotel, lobby looks elegant, has marble floors and walls that makes it 4-5 star category by Europe standard. Friendly staff. Location is great, walking distance to restaurants and shops and Plaka district. However, the room we stayed in was small but clean, has marble floor bathroom (but leaking plumbing, water runs on the floor everytime we use the shower), loved the bidet. The beds are low and hard, no alarm clock/radio, TV is small and old style, no in-room coffee nor ice bucket. The only modern amenity is the control button by the wall beside the beds for AC and lighting. For me, the room is between 2 and 3 star by US standard. But overall, we had a great time in Athens due to its location.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, VA
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I've traveled to Greece often, and stayed at this hotel multiple times, never being disappointed. My most recent stay was another pleasant experience. I had a great, large room with modern appointments, as well a great view of Acropolis. The room was impeccably clean, and also had genuine turn-down service. Amenities such as a bathrobe and slippers were included, as was a buffet breakfast. With a wide assortment of hot and cold foods, it is hard to not find something you like. From check-in to check-out, the staff was extremely polite and service-oriented. The hotel deals with a good number of tour groups, leading to a crowded lobby at times. But, my room was quiet- with no street noise or that of other guests audible.
The hotel is centrally-located. You can easily walk to the center of Athens, Plaka, as well as two Metro stops, bus stops, and many tourist attractions. There is a plethora of coffee shops and restaurants nearby. About a block away is a SPAR supermarket.
I always recommend Divani Acropolis Palace to anyone who is traveling to Athens and always stay there on my visits.

• Stayed May 2011
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of our tour and at the end of our tour. We stayed an extra day. The rooms were nice and comfortable. The last two nights we stayed there we had a nice view of the Acropolis. The hotel lobby area was beautiful and spacious. The gentleman in the gift shop downstairs was very friendly too.

The first night there, I ordered the Mousakka in the hotel's restaurant. It was delicious. We stopped by the bar/lounge and the bartender was very friendly too. He was patient with us as we kept asking him how to say Thank You in Greek.

• Stayed April 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I stayed at Divani Acropolis Palace during my recent business trip to Athens. Although it positions itself as a five-star hotel, I wouldn't give the hotel more than a four-star rating.
My room, overlooking the hotel's outdoor pool, was clean and comfortable. After I checked in, around 6pm, the hotel welcomed me with a small meal delivered to my room. Although it was a nice gesture, it would have been much more appreciated if the food (particularly, the mayonnaise!) had been freshly prepared.
Although it gets quite warm in Athens in April, the air conditioning in the room was not working, producing hot air when switched on. The hotel said they had not yet switched on air conditioning, because it was supposedly still cold outside. That wasn't a major annoyance, but still an unexpected glitch in hotel service.
The bed was reasonably comfortable, and the room was very quiet at night. The mattress did not provide for a very restful sleep though, and the pillows would benefit from replacement.
Breakfasts were quite sumptuous, with a lot to choose from. Be warned that the orange juice has little to do with actual oranges and tastes quite artificial. The filtered coffee served at breakfast also leaves a lot to be desired, but you can always ask the servers for complimentary espresso. :)
On my last day at the hotel, there was an incident in my room, where someone had taken the red wine, which I'd been given as a gift to take home and which I'd put in a dark cupboard in the room, and placed it in the fridge. At the same time, the person had taken some perishables out of the fridge and left them on the table. The packaging from the wine had been thrown carelessly on top of the table as well. I was lucky to have noticed this soon after it happened, and, while the receptionist was quite accommodating, apologising for the incident, the mess that I had found in my room (not to mention the chilled red wine) left quite a sour aftertaste.
Before my departure, which was scheduled for early morning, the hotel provided me with a complimentary early breakfast. This was a nice gesture, but, again, I was unable to enjoy it (save for the apple that accompanied it), since it consisted solely of bread and muffins, and I am on a grain-free diet.
All in all, the personnel at Divani Palace Acropolis is reasonably friendly, but the actual service and the quality of food leaves a lot to be desired. I'd give them four stars, at best.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank GypsyInModa
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed April 12, 2011

The hotel was in a great location of a couple blocks from Plaka. You must ask for the renovated side of the hotel. There is a small courtyard with a pool as well. The breakfast buffet served every morning had a large selection. I enjoyed my stay and the staff was very helpful and always with a smile.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated side of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank relaxed34
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed April 9, 2011

It does not correspond to the level of five stars. We were disappointed - although we've stayed at an Executive room it was difficult to sleep at night because the windows view the inner yard and it was very noisy thanks to loudness of teenagers who were staying in the opposite part of the hotel (a school trip or smth like that). The "view to Acropol" means that you can watch the wall of the Divani Hotel from your windows and only from the balcony, half hanging from it you can see a part of Acropol, partly veiled by other buildings (quite ugly).
Most of the things we were to have in our room we had to ask for - such as glasses, bath-robes, and as for slippers we got one pair for two of us...
It is a big cold hotel which you won't wish to visit once more.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anna_Olga_2011
Atlanta
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I think this place is primarily used by tour groups, including us. Staff, friendly and accomodating especially the two busboys- they were incredibly helpful when it came time to get picked up for the group tours. Ate at the restaurant downstairs- food is pretty good and welcome relief after a long flight from the USA but once we discovered the Plaka we didn't look back! I didn't have high hopes for the rooms given that the place was picked out as part of a group tour but they were incredibly nice. Clearly had been renovated recently. Only weird part was that the shower had no curtain, only a partition that covered half the length of the tub. Although the rooms were great, the best part is the location. A stone's throw from the new acropolis museum and a little further down (2-3 blocks?) is the Plaka- the main tourist/restaurant area surrounding the acropolis. If you go left out of the hotel, you are headed towards the plaka. If you head right, there is a small grocery store down the street on the left- good place to get snacks, water, etc for walking around (0.14 euros!) Even further down head right when you hit the main road and there is an incredible confection/bakery a few blocks on the right (if you have a sweet tooth, make a stop here). The hotel has a rooftop restaurant but it has seasonal hours and was not open when we were there. Would have like to go though- the view at night would have been incredible!!! I'm not much for amenities, but there is a pool. Not sure about any gym. Didn't order room service but it was available. TV channels are minimal- French, German, Greek, and English (like one channel each). Business center consists of a desktop and printer, one each. The gift store on the lower level sells stamps, so was able to mail all of the postcards I bought at the Athens flea market (just north of the Plaka). I love the flea market- got some great shoes and paintings! Front desk staff was very helpful in providing a map and giving directions. Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone and would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011