“Quiet, clean property with good breakfast”
Review of Achilleas Hotel

Achilleas Hotel
Ranked #105 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel has a good location, near to Syntagma Sq. subway stations, and near to several excellent and inexpensive restaurants. The rooms are basic but very clean, and the beds are comfortable. My large family had a triple and a quad room, both of which were more like small suites, with the third and fourth beds separated. The breakfast was extensive and very good. The management was polite, but reserved. All in all, it was a good deal for the money, and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank CarolfromOhio

Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed only for one night for transfer. Yhe location was Close to Acropolis, but the hotel was in a narrow street and the neighborhood was not the best. OK rooms wit AC, but the hotel was quite "narrow", but had eight floors. OK breakfast. But probably not a hotel to stay in for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Even the top floor rooms eight floors up had no view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I picked this hotel because I booked my trip to Athens at the last minute and all other centrally located hotels were fully booked. Overall, I’m glad I found it and I’m glad I stayed there, although it would not have been my first choice had I had other options available.

The price was a bit high for the quality of the hotel, but the location couldn’t have been better. There’s a metro stop five minutes away at Syntagma Square (the X95 bus to/from the airport also stops there), and most of the major historical sites are within walking distance, as are wonderful shops and restaurants. It’s definitely a great place to stay if you plan to spend most of your time out and about, exploring the city.

Other positive aspects of my stay:
- The staff were friendly during check in and check out.
- There is free wifi in the hotel lobby, which has plenty of comfortable couches.
- Breakfast (included in the price) is plentiful and delicious, with lots of fresh vegetables.
- The balcony (off of my room) was very pleasant, although I didn’t actually use it since I was out most of the day. I faced the street, which some reviewers have said is noisy, but I either sleep really soundly or the noise doesn’t make it up to the sixth floor because I was not bothered by it.

A few complaints:
- The elevator (as others have said) is tiny. Fortunately, I didn’t have any large bags or need to use it when others did, but I can see it being a problem for families.
- The room was serviceable but sparse. The bed was hard and the blanket was somewhat scratchy. The refrigerator didn’t seem to work (although I only had a bottle of water to put in it, so I didn’t ask the staff for any help). The shower in the bathroom is a bit strange, since the glass doors don’t close fully (by design) and I flooded the bathroom every time I showered.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid street noise, ask for a room away from the street or on the sixth floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank SoniaBudUSA
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

If you want a good simple room in a nice part of Athens then stay here. There are only 2 things I can fault. The first being that after travelling for 24 hours the staff member at checkout was condescending, rude and almost mean. And all this for no reason at all. Absolutely nothing! My first thought was 'I hope not everyone is mean like that in Greece'. The second gripe is that their lift is strictly for two people. And when I say two people I mean me (who is very thin) and my one suitcase JUST fit in! This also meant that when we arrived we waited 25 minutes in line for the lift as a large group had arrived just before us. Lifting a 30kg bag up stairs is not my idea of fun especially when a travel companion is on crutches.
A+ for the recommendation for dinner.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank CairnsLocal77
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Our room was exactly as the pictures showed and exactly what is described. It was quite a large spacious room and bathroom considering the cost and location.

The lift can only take max two people at a time which can be frustrating if lots of people are checking in at once but do not put more than that in it as it will break ( they fix it quite quickly).

The breakfast area is quite small so it can be a bit of a pain if lots of people are there at once and the wifi is awful and drops out a lot, but really this is a minor complaint.

The staff were amazing and recommended delicious restaurants and always said hello and asked how your day was and helped where they can.

The best part about the hotel would be the location though. It was walking distance to everything you could want, amazing restaurants, attractions, shopping and bars.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank missAshlea_jade
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Good hotel, found through Trip Advisor, but we had to change rooms because of the street (and elevator) noise ... The bars on the main street close only at 4 in the night ... during the week and week-end ... I will therefore recommend to take the rooms ending with 1, 5 and 6, located on the other (quiet) side of the hotels, rooms ending with 3 and 4 are too noisy ...
Service was nice and helpful.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fabrice S
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect. Walking distance to major historic sites, restaurants, and all that is happening. Also very close to the city center square where you can get on the bus, tram, or metro subway. Don't expect a luxury hotel but it fits the historic area. The staff is very nice and helpful. Wifi, free breakfast (same daily). Pub across the street rocks till early morning so expect noise, or go join the friendly party.

Stayed: May 2014