Electra Palace Athens
Athos Hotel(Athens)
  • Room Service
Great 4.5/5
3,343 results
All reviewsrooftop poolgreat locationacropolis viewsyntagma squareelegant hotelstar hotelstandard roomwithin walking distancejunior suitebreakfast buffetfifth floorour honeymoonrestaurants and shopsmajor sitesside streetquiet streetan amazing view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Listen well! I was never so excited to write a hotel review as I am now! I was an air hostess for a few years as well as still travel a few times year so you can imagine i have been to quite a few hotels in my life.. NEVER, I tell you, NEVER did i have such a genuine warm welcoming anywhere as the one i had at the Electra Palace Hotel in Athens. It starts with Eleni, with whom I emailed a few times, either to make changes to my reservations in Booking as well as order a flower bouquet for my room ( daughter's birthday). She was always prompt, exact and did not even ask for my cc details for the flowers. We arrived at the hotel at 9 AM very tired after a night flight.
I advised them i would come early and hoped we could receive a room. The first thing we saw are the radiant, smiling faces of Thanasis and Yiannis at the reception. We immidiarely felt welcome and that they actually were happy we are there and happy to assist! We were granted the early check-in as well as made sure the flowers were in the room. And what a wonderful bouquet too! The room we received (515) was absolutely wonderful! With a balcony and overlooking the amazing Acropolis hill. We were dead hungry so we went to have breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. I asked Thanasis to add it to our bill ( as it was not included for that day). We had a wonderful breakfast. A very wide range of food to choose from and the Chef de Maitre ( I apologize for not remembering your name)overlooking what was going on and making sure, every morning that everything as it should be. He actually cares! It felt like he wasnt 'just doing his job', it felt like he was hosting everyone in his home. Once we left breakfast, we went up to the room and when down again we passed by reception to receive some info on how to get somewhere, i was told that they waived the cost of breakfast! Wow! I am not excited because I spent less.. I was extremely touched by the gesture and again by how they went out if their way to make us feel good! Guys, you are the best reception team I have ever met ! Certainly a 5 star treatment! My request for a fan in the room was immidiately taken care of as well.
I have to also say that I have met nothing but great Greek people - all extremely nice, either on the street, shops, taxis, police, restaurants - EVERYONE! Really a pleasure.
Tonight we ate at the restaurant on the 5th floor with the amazing view at the Acropolis which is so wonderfuly lit at night. The mushroom risoto was impeccable and the salad was very tasty as well as the creme brule. The breathtaking view of the Acropolis at night was amazing.
Those coming with rented cars there are a few parking lots right near the hotel.
Hotel is situated perfectly at the Plaka district and we walked everywhere by foot.
The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the wi fi is not for free :-( but since I was so elated from everything else.. i did not mind it so much.
Bottom line - KUDOS ELECTRA PALACE for having such a wonderful staff!
I will also mention the great vegeterian Avocado restaurant very close to the hotel. Great variety of food. Again extremely nice people and very tasty food!

• Stayed: January 2013
6  Thank Spirit2809
Reviewed January 22, 2013

During my last short trip to Athens I choose to stay in the Electra Palace Hotel. It is an excellent hotel in Plaka, very close to the Acropolis, in a quite location although it is located in the very center of Athens. Unfortunately we didn't have a room with a view to Acropolis, as we wished to. Our room was a little bit small but very clean and quite. The people of Electra Palace Hotel were very polite and the service very good. I found very bad only the idea of charging the internet access.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to Acropolis of Athens
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a beautiful boutique hotel in a wonderful position at the entrance to the Plaka area. The Foyer entrance is amazing, so large, with comfortable sitting areas and a small bar area where both coffee and drinks are served. We were lucky enough to have a room with a balcony which had a view of the Acropolis. We spent each early evening over cocktails sitting on the balcony viewing the scenery with awe. It is such a romantic and historical city. Vicki, at reception, could not have been more helpful and directed us to all the wonderful sights and museums of this wonderful city

Our room was very comfortable and clean and room service very prompt. I just loved being able to leave the hotel and be in the heart of the activity of the Plaka. The hotel is within walking distance of the new and amazing Museum which is on the way to the Acropolis. Athens is a city where one needs to walk to view all the wonderful sights there. We were just two blocks from the Walking Mall where all the wonderful shops are and from where one could walk to the market area with ease. During all the time of our stay we walked everywhere, visiting many museums, parklands and shopping areas as well as having a large variety of nearby restaurants from which to chose.

The hotel serves a full American breakfast and have a fruit juicing machine where one can have a glass of fresh orange juice each morning. After being served cordial or mixed juices in other hotels where we had spent time this was a real treat. We were delighted to be able to sit in a garden area in a tranquil setting eating our breakfast in the mild days of late September.

There is a gym and spa in the basement area and on the roof a swimming pool with lounges and one can order drinks and a light lunch during the day. The Poolside Restaurant at night, indoors, has a wonderful view of the well lit Acropolis and the food here was excellent. For a special meal it is really highly recommended with a view to die for.

We found this hotel accessible to all places of interest and the concierge was always available to obtain a taxi whenever we needed one. As we were so close to everything though we hardly needed this service apart from our departure for the airport.

During our time in Athens it was obvious that tourist numbers were down and that was such a pity as during our stay there we didn't see any activities which should stop people from visiting this wonderful city. We felt safe at all times as we always have on previous visits to Athens.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be quieter. Ask for a room overlooking the Acropolis but they are more expensive.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MelbourneMelbournian
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I understand if you pay $200-ish for a "5 star" hotel room, you can't expect the Ritz, and we are all complicit in this charade, but Electra Palace was very weak for a "5-star" hotel.

Pros:
1) Price
2) Breakfast - nice range of foods, was overcrowded at times, but otherwise good.
3) Location - in a nice spot in Plaka, near Acropolis and other major sites.

Cons:
1) From the second floor, the view of the Acropolis is disappointing. You can't see the main sites, but rather the wall of the Acropolis. Also, the view is to the side, meaning you have to walk out on the balcony and turn to see it. Directly across from you is not the Acropolis, but a dry cleaner and seamstress. There are rooms that directly face the Acropolis, but I think those are the more-expensive suites. I emphasize this point, b/c I'm sure many will, like me, will think the Acropolis view is an important feature. And in fact, you have to pay more for a superior room just to get this view.

2) Room. The TV was about 25 inches, the room was small, leaked when it rained, and the 20-year old hairdryer in the bathroom was cracked and taped as a repair. Photo attached. Also, water temperature in shower fluctuated significantly mid-shower - never pleasant. This is all fine in the end, but don't call yourself 5 star hotel with this.

3) Spa area - The fitness room, indoor pool and sauna are located in a single space. The pool is positioned in the middle, so that as people get out, large amounts of water spill all over the floor. Consequently, the path to the sauna and fitness room was very slippery, and I watched myself, my wife and several others slip and nearly fall. It was almost like candid camera. The hotel employee in the room also watched, and did nothing. The shower areas were moldy.

4) Wireless internet in the room for a 10 euro/day fee. Free wireless in the lobby. Just not 5-star quality.

This hotel is an average 4-star place. It's not bad, but I wouldn't stay here if you want a luxury experience.

Room Tip: You MUST get a room as high up as you can for a decent Acropolis view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Russianoligarch
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Excellent location. In the heart of Athens. Not far from everything, Acropolis, plaka, Lykabitos, Kolonaki and Ermou (shopping street). Metro-stations are just a few minutes walk away. I was very happy with the garage, because parking a car in the heart of Athens is not so easy. The roofgarden restaurant is a nice place to have dinner. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family