“Good for a business trip not for turist”

Athens Zafolia Hotel
Ranked #79 of 325 Hotels in Athens
“Good for a business trip not for turist”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Nice pool , poor wi-fi , nice rooms , poor breakfast . If you are turist ... then go to another hotel nearest Monastiraki or other turist location , it is to far from turist atractions. You must to pay extra for wi-fi on the room , for tv and for parking place . The personal is good , they can smile more but is not very important ;).

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Noemitza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We found the family rooms great spacious and neat. Nice but chilly pool, at least for small kids. The staff makes the place :)

You should pay 5 to 6 € to most of the sites - incl. The Acropolis with a taxi from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Of the 5 hotels we stayed in on this past trip to Greece, Zafolia was the one my family rated best. Any assistance I needed was given without question. When I needed to find a restaurant, they circled it on a map for me. When I needed an additional copy of a form for the travel group, they happily printed the form to scale. When I had a challenge with the room key, it was taken care of and even tested to be sure the issue had been resolved. The food was delicious, the rooms clean, and the lobby and rooftop pools both beautiful and functional with free wifi which my teenagers appreciated. But perhaps the best example occurred after our trip when my daughter realized at the airport that she'd left a souvenir Greek key ring on the bedside table. She begged me to e-mail and asked if they had it and if so, would they send it. Knowing that hotels are not responsible for lost items, I told my daughter not to get her hopes up, but I sent the email even offering to pay the necessary postage. However, the staff at Zafolia located the ring and mailed it to her paying the necessary postage. The look on my daughter's face when she got the ring in the mail was priceless. She even took a picture of the envelope it came in so she could remember the hotel (and the staff!) who turned her disappointment to joy. Thank you Zafolia staff for going above and beyond the call of duty. :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank pogotogo
liberty twp, ohio
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel was very clean and up to date. Location was out of walking distance to the downtown area. Taxi cabs were plentiful and the rates were about 5 Euro to get to Plaka. The rooms were clean. Advice on rooms.....Ask for the back of the building. We had a room in front on the second floor and the street traffic was very noisy all night. Back of the build was very quiet and peaceful. Restaurant in hotel had good food and service was very good

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mybav1960
Prague
Reviewed June 8, 2013

After staying in one of the hotels, I must have moved to this one due to full occupancy of the previous hotel. The hotel is fine, nothing extra bad, nothing extra superb. The room was comfortable, I did not like the bathroom. I would maybe pick the cleanliness, which could be a bit of better. However, it was fine. The housekeeping were not flexible if I have asked them for something extra, but whole impression was okay. not sure whether I would come back, but maybe I would.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2013

If like me, you are a first time visitor of Athens and Greece, do not let your first impression of what you see jade you as I initially did! If you are visiting to join a tour group, SEE George at the front desk of Zafolia for help! Tell him you want to find the excellent gyros at a tiny place about a block away from the hotel if you turn left. Pass the FIRST place you see on the left that has a cover over tables on the sidewalk. Cross another little street and then you'll see this little Greek place with tables all over the sidewalks to your left. It's next to a clothing store. Find the little waiter named Floyd...COLORFUL young man with a cute dimple in his chin! Their menu is in Greek but that's because they are a local hangout. But don't despair, ANYONE there will be happy to translate for you. If you arrive on a Friday though, don't look or chicken gyros as the REAL Greeks eat here and there is heavy demand after working late for pork gyros! You will walk in and see the machines tip urging in the window lowly cooking this deliciousness!

NOW back to the hotel Zafolia....George at the front desk will go above and beyond to make you comfortable, to give you information about the city and to suggest wonderful things you might consider doing while in Athens. And then there is Villi (I probably spelled his name incorrectly) but when staying at the hotel, FIND Villi as he too will go above and beyond to see you are comfortable. I met Villi the first morning in the breakfast area and then later in the bar area. He was so kind to me and my husband that shortly before I was due to leave, he brought us a class of water before the driver arrived to take us to the airport. These men are so kind and they enjoy doing their jobs, but we as travelers mustn't forget just as our parents taught us to say "please" and "thank you" and tip in America for good service, we should also extend that level of gratitude to those who go above and beyond the standard service you are SURE to encounter at the Zafolia!

Hotel Pros: Warm friendly staff at the front desk. George has been there 16 years and knows his stuff! If you don't like your room, GIVE THE HOTEL A CHANCE to correct the situation by merely asking if they can help. Ask for a room away from the street to help with street noise and if a hard bed is something you'd rather have, ask...just as you should ask for a more softer bed if that is your preference. If available, they will accommodate (unlike other hotels you are SURE to endure if you signed up with Globus!) In hindsight, breakfast actually turned out to be the BEST we would have for the next week as we would be running around the country touring with Globus. Once you leave Zafolia with Globus, you can read my other comments about the Amalia chain of hotels that Globus will book you in...good luck! You'll be like me and long for another night at the Zafolia in Athens! Thank goodness we KNEW we had 2 mire nights at the Zafolia waiting for us!!! At this Zafolia hotel they often have fried eggs AND scrambled eggs available for breakfast. But even better is their incredible Full Fat Greek Yogurt! It's like the world's best cream cheese!!! The staff doesn't rush you out of the breakfast area and if you want a GLIMPSE into the colorful personalities that makes Greece so very special, take the time to chat with the hotel staff. You will be sure to love them as much as my husband and I loved and appreciated them...even a kind word in passing to he housekeeper will reveal a warmness we often fail to see in our travels these days! If you can, book an extra night at the end of your tour to enjoy a little more of Athens. My husband and I stayed 2 more nights and even took an excursion down to see Poseidon's Temple at the very edge of Attica before leaving for the airport to return to the states.

Hotel Cons: What I'm listing as cons are CLEARLY mostly circumstances outside the hotel's domain therefore not the fault of the hotel staff and won't be reflected in my rating. Still I want to say the things that bothered me the most so that others will expect them before arrival and hopefully other guests who follow will look past these things and move on because if you want to stay in an America hotel, don't come to Greece. If you want Pizza Hut to deliver to your hotel or have southern fried chicken or hamburgers, don't complain if they taste differently in Athens than what you are use to at home. When in Greece, eat souvlaki, GYROS and Greek salads! As far as the hotel goes, expect only BBC and CNN on TV and GET USE to it as some of the hotels you are in with Globus won't even offer those channels. Then again, you aren't on vacation to watch TV anyway! Remember, we don't go to somebody's else's home to brag about all we do RIGHT and all we perceive they might be doing WRONG. The rest of the world does not operate as we do and part of traveling is looking past those little things keeping in mind that the BEST part of traveling is not only snapping pictures of historical sites but ALSO taking the time to open our minds, and our hearts to SIT and LISTEN to colorful people who are proudly represented by employees here at Zafolia. Break away from the group now and then and wander down the alleys to find your OWN favorite Greek restaurant with helpful people. The one I mentioned above has been there for over 28 years!!!

Room Tip: Don't just surround yourself with the people in our group! Take the time to TALK to the folks at...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NMC_12
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I am a Tour operator for Europe, the Hotel is great for the money, Great Location, Food and excellent Service, I did read a comment about a Sex store across, this is SO WRONG , you should be more careful when you describe the environment in a not English speaking country , this is a Comedy Theater , "Naked Truth" I was at the hotel as part of a FAM Trip organized by the Hellenic Chamber of Tourism , I definitely recommend it !

Room Tip: Love the Roof Top Pool and Bar ! Great View !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank EU_Travel_Expert
ZAFOLIA, Director of Sales at Athens Zafolia Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your support and nice comments.
Hope to see you again in our hotel, sometime in the future.

All the Best,