“Good budget option”

Ranked #261 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Winnipeg, Canada
“Good budget option”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We were two families traveling with children ages 10 -15 and found this a good budget option for an overnight in Athens. The rooms are basic and clean enough. There is air conditioning, a fridge and wi-fi in the rooms. What more do you need? Free coffee and tea is available in the lobby. The area is not the greatest but we did not mind as we were a group and did not come in too late to experience what others may have. Our walk from the hotel to the Acropolis was a pleasant one.

This is a good choice for back packers and those traveling on a smaller budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank imi1240

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I'm having a hard time rating this hotel because it's not the best but it doesn't claim to be (and I don't need it to be). Since I'm only in Athens for around 12 hours, I decided to book a budget hotel. I found one in a good price range and reviews weren't atrocious. I knew the area was a bit dicey but I just need somewhere to sleep for the night. I found the hotel with minimal problems but definitely walked by some shady business. I also have mixed feelings as there was a bunch of police officers outside the hotel when I got here but it's clean inside and the lady that checked me in was nice. The style of room I reserved wasn't available so I got upgraded to a bigger room that could sleep 3 people and has a full bath. The hotel is more like a hostel as there are lots of young people and international people. Overall, I'm glad I'm only staying here one night but it suits it's purpose just fine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Megan R
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have been to over 40 countries, many of them quite dangerous and third world, and I have never experienced anywhere more dangerous than the location of this hostel. When I exited the metro as per the instructions given by the hotel, I was stunned to see one of the most incredibly terrible sights of my life. The buildings looked like there had been a bombing. Graffiti was everywhere, buildings boarded up, homeless everywhere. Numerous filthy people around the plaza either lying on the ground completely passed out or quite possibly dead dead, the ones who were conscious were either injecting hard drugs, moaning, screaming, or getting up to attack and try to rob me. It looked like a scene from a zombie movie, about 10-15 people were walking around but luckily they were too high to function properly. They were moaning and wailing, and when they saw me with my backpack they all began to swarm towards me to try to grab at my bag and pockets. Lucky they were too drugged up and I was able to pull away, move to the centre of the street and run down the middle of the street. This was barely after dark, around 8pm. There were even cops on the street but they just laughed, watched, and flirted with the numerous sickly-looking prostitutes as I ran. I did not dare to go out after dark again while I was in Athens. Even during the day, the neighbourhood was filthy beyond belief (including directly in front of the hotel, which has no lock on the front door and a dark, dirty stairwell up to the second floor lobby). I ran back even during the day, heart pounding, and was shocked and relieved to reach the hotel safe in the evening, even after I was pickpocketed on the way back.

The hotel is barely that, you get a filthy room with carpet I wouldn't dare touch with bare feet or socks. I did on accident once, and it was wet and sticky, dark spots and gum everywhere. The bed was a simple, extremely uncomfortable bed with filthy yellowish and brown stained and scratchy linens which were supposed to be white. The only good thing was air conditioning, which was extremely loud and barely functional. The remote was covered in sticky stains. The hotel has not been painted in years and I tried to drink a beer before going back and fall asleep ASAP so I didn't happen to glance at the walls or ceiling.

The toilet was filthy, toilet did not function correctly and I dreaded having to press the disgusting flush valve. The shower did not have a wall mount, making it near impossible to shower, no doubt so the stingy owner could save on water bills. Cockroaches came in and out through many holes in the broken tile walls.

Through the paper thin walls, you can hear everything going on in the adjacent rooms. It seems to be a popular place to bring back prostitutes from the street outside. Not nice considering you're sleeping in a bed where this had likely occurred. Walking by even in the evening, you could tell that they were diseased with sores up their arms and legs as well as major herpes outbreaks on their face. I slept on a sleeping bag on the bed, sobbing and wishing I had the money to move to a different hotel. You could also hear rats moving through the walls, squeaking and moving around throughout the day and night, and smell the feces at all times.

I witnessed and helped save a young asian girl travelling by herself who was being molested by the owner at reception, while trying to get some of the free coffee service, which tasted like gasoline. I saw one guy try to ask very politely for directions from the owner, but he was lying down resting, and started yelling at the guy, 'I'm not a bus stop, go figure out yourself' and then start screaming at him in Greek. On my checkout day, I asked to leave my bag in the storage room. The owner sighed and said, fine I can open the room for you. He opened a filthy dusty back room and took my backpack (laptop inside) and quite literally threw it from the door against the back wall so he didn't have to enter the room. He stomped away sighing to the reception, and then I approached him saying, "sorry, is it possible to store my passport in the safe" (like i have done in every other hotel. most owners say, "of course, i would be happy to". This guy said, "why didnt you just put it in your bag. Now i have to open the room up for you again? !$(!$( you". I said, "no sorry i didnt want to put it in my bag i was wondering if you had a safe or a locked box or something". He started screaming at the top of his lungs in greek and then said, fine if you really want to bother me. give it to me and i'll put it in the room with the bags" I said "never mind, its ok. I'll just keep it." thinking the extremely unsafe street was safer than dealing with this guy. Then I said, "you really shouldn't yell at your guests!" and i went to go sit down and look at my iphone map before leaving, since it isnt safe to get my phone out on the street. "He stormed over to me, hit me backhand on the shoulder extremely hard, and SCREAMED "what do you say to me! you tell me how to run my own hostel!" at this point my bag was locked up back and I didn't know what to do but the guy (THE OWNER!!!) was pushing me and threatening me physically while screaming in Greek so I just ran out onto the street. I thought I had lost my bag, but I managed to sneak back into the hostel later and stole it out while he was taking a nap (luggage storage not safe)

I saw the negative reviews, and the cheap price, and thought I would be ok. But it was the WORST experience of my life. Not just while travelling, of my life. I will never go back to Athens because of this hotel. I did not enjoy my stay in Athens because of this hotel. I was lucky to get out of there alive and with most of my belongings intact.

I had stayed in a hostel for one night the week before while in transit to istanbul, and it was safe, clean, and similar in price. DO NOT STAY HERE>

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank snhaetnhlaonncg

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

The area is horrible. We had special police outside the hotel with must be 20 something men they rounded up. It really felt unsafe in the area. The room had a very bad smell to it very bad and the underwear of the previous guests was still hanging in the bathroom. Broken glass in the hallway to our room. If you can avoid it please do.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JimV391
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

This really is amazing value for the price you pay.

From the minute we came in the receptionist was helpful, giving us a map and plotting out where we could go, and when we came back from our explorations they translated Greek to English the stuff we had picked up. Compared to other hostels on our travels, free air conditioning, a fridge, a balcony, large en suite (EVEN A BATH!?), free coffee and tea and free wifi were absolute luxuries, and it was cheaper than other places that charged air con/wifi and would not dream of giving you a free cuppa and washing up your cup for you.

They were even nice enough to have a locker room so we could keep our backpacks in there after check out until our ferry left at 9pm... once again for FREE, and arranged our taxi for us. (Although it also very simple to get the metro which we did about a dozen times as it's so cheap to get a 24hr ticket, Omonia station is literally 5 minutes away along a main road.)

The obvious reason this place can be so cheap is the unfortunate location, but even that is really not that bad. We did not see any drug takers or prostitutes, the people outside aren't evil! There is a larger ratio of men to women which might be off-putting to some, but as has been mentioned there is a constant presence of policemen. We were two young girls and we didn't get any trouble - you just need to hold your head high and not expect that you're going to get mugged and you'll be fine, and if you're a man, even the more so.

Perhaps not for families or long term stays, but to satisfy the simple need for a place to come back to after a day of sightseeing it really does do the job nicely.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Annie D
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

This was a great little hotel in a not so toursty area, rooms were cheap and clean with ensuite, A/C, fridge and TV. Stairs are tough going but the elevator is great. Free wifi and free use of laptop if you didn't have one of your own. Free coffee and juice.

Room Tip: If your on a budget then this is great value.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank jim b
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel itself is great value for money if you're on a budget. The rooms are in average condition as you would expect for the price, but are spacious and clean. Aircon worked great the entire time we were there. Free wifi and mini fridge available in th room. The room was not serviced though, but didn't bother us for only 2 nights. Continental breakfast was good value for €4.

The downside of this hotel is its location. Fairly easy 10-15min walk to Monastiraki station with luggage. However, it is in an extremely seedy area which appears to be filled with illegal immigrants. My wife felt quite uncomfortable with the constant ogling as soon as we stepped out of the hotel. Apart from this we had no hassles. There are police officers hanging out just outside the hotel however this offered little comfort.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel to families and female travellers. But for those who are on a budget and have reasonable expectations, this is a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple