“Genuine comfort in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of A for Athens

A for Athens
Ranked #3 of 68 Athens B&B and Inns
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Genuine comfort in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

A for Athens is a genuinely friendly hotel with lovely, spacious room with an incredible view of the Acropolis. When the charming desk clerk assigned us a room on the first floor, we were concerned - generally preferring high floors - even when she told us it was the best room in the house. We learned later that the very popular club on the top floor can tie up the rather small elevator and is rather noisy. On the first floor, we had a comfortable room we could walk up to, a window with a simply spectacular view - well insulated as we heard no noise from the nearby square - a comfortable bed, free internet, a safe, and a decent sized and clean bathroom at a very reasonable price. The location is excellent with shops, the square, walking route to the Acropolis, metro and train all in the vicinity.

Within five minutes of our arrival, my wife and I bought an ice cream at the excellent stand on the corner and sat in the square looking at the acropolis. Moments after sitting down, my wife's purse was snatched with all of her money, id's, credit cards, new camera etc. After the panic, shock, and anger, we walked the few steps back to the hotel. They gave us the use of telephone and computer to make the necessary calls, were very helpful, gave us directions to the police so we could file a report, and were helpful and kind in every respect.

The next morning, we walked back across the street, took the train to port, and boarded the Seabourn Odyssey (on which we promptly forgot the theft and had a great time - but that is another review!)

Room Tip: Avoid the high floors because of the club and small elevator ...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Catania - Sicily
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I seriously cannot believe how such a place is so high-rated on Tripadvisor. I guess it shouldn’t be even called a “hotel”, since a “hotel” is expected to be a place where people can sleep. In my case, sleeping was just impossible, as my girlfriend and I had to strive with loud music thumping into the head all night long. But let me tell the whole story.
I had booked a superior room with Acropolis view, for a quite high price in respect of Southern Europe standards. Upon the arrival we were given a room with balcony on 5th floor (the last one). I specified we had very little time to sleep, as we had to leave very early in the morning; for such reason I also made check-out in advance, immediately paying the total amount for the room. Nevertheless, the receptionist didn’t warn me about the live disco club playing on the roof every night. We took the max two persons-lift bypassing the long line of people waiting for it to reach the roof-disco club (we had the priority as hotel guests). When we arrived, of course we noticed the nice view over the Acropolis we had from the balcony, but also the very short size of the room. It was by far the smallest room I’ve ever seen after travelling around Europe for almost twenty years.
During the night we just couldn’t find the way to fall asleep. It was truly impossible, as music playing above us was extremely loud, and people on the roof was dragging chairs and tables on and on over the pavement. At 1:30 am, I decided to complain about what was happening to the receptionist. I had to go down the stairs on foot, since catching the lift was impossible: tens of people were still going to the disco from the ground floor. The receptionist told me there wasn’t any other superior room available, and the only thing he could do was letting us move into a standard room located on the 1st floor. Standard rooms have a lower price than superior ones, but since I had already paid the total amount for my superior room, there was nothing he could do for refunding me. I accepted anyway to move there, since I just wanted to sleep for the short rest of my night. This new room was larger and quieter but of course not as clean as the previous one.
Once I came back home I wrote my complains to the director. The first answer I got was the offer of “a special price for my next visit in Athens”. When I expressly asked to be refunded of the price difference between a superior and a standard room, he agreed with my request, so I sent him my bank account details.
It all happened more than one month ago, and I am still waiting for my money back...
I don’t want to add any other comments to this long review, I just hope people will seriously consider my awful experience before booking a room in this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ar-men86
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Having read other's reports, we liked the location but asked for a quiet room not fronting Monastiraki Square as we value our sleep. On arrival we were given a room on the 3rd floor facing a side street, and we did not have any noise issues bar one noisy garbage truck early one morning.
The room was more than we had expected - it was very stylish, modern, clean, large and comfortable with a great bathroom and shower. The bed was also extremely comfortable. The room was airconditioned which was a blessing with day temps above 35 degC (just make sure the window is closed as opening it switches off the aircon).
Wi-Fi was also provided and worked fine in our room, no issues.
A comment about the lifts. There were 2 in operation, one 3 person lift to the 6th floor that as others have noted did get busy at night (but guests had priority), and a 2 person lift that went to the 5th floor and serviced the rooms we were in on the quiet side. This lift was tiny (2 people or 1 person with bags) but it was almost always available and it felt like our private lift for whenever we needed it.
We had breakfast each morning on level 6 and enjoyed the wonderful view of the Acropolis. It was usually quiet and the self serve breakfast was not large but it was more than enough for our needs.
Lastly, the front desk was staffed 24/7 and we found all of the staff very helpful and friendly. We asked for their help many times, and they were always able to assist with good advice and directions.
Athens was hot and messy and often dirty, but we loved the people and the experience and would happily go back to A for Athens on our next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Katwijk, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Top hotel on a fantastic location. View on the acropolis, direct access to all restaurants and shops in plaka. Metro station just across the street with direct access to the airport. The best place to stay when you visit Athens. Rooms are modern and spacy. Coxktailbar and breakfast restaurant are fantastic with superb view on the Akropolis. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012
Brussels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

A for Athens hotel is right in the centre of Athens at Monastiraki. The perfect base for visiting the city. The breakfast restaurant (in the evening used as bar) has a magnificent view to the Acroplis. The rooms are wonderful, spacious and with a nice design. The personnel is very nice.
The rooftop bar is very popular at night, so unless you want to join in, better not take a room on the top floor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Very nice view of the acropolis, great music and amazing cocktails! 6th floor with a roof over the balcony and loud music. On top of that, true open top bar to chill out in a more quite environment ! Very accommodating personnel for our friend on a wheelchair

• Stayed May 2012
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

You get fantastic service at the reception. Great big rooms. Very good breakfast. Stylish design. And a superb location on the Monestraki square with fabulous view of the Acropolis. The downside? In the weekends Monestraki is crowded and the hotel rooftop bar is very trendy and popular. If you are a couple staying out late having fun, you will not find a better place. If you are a family like us, book rooms on the middle floor, and bring ear plugs. I didn't.

Room Tip: Do not book rooms on the fifth floor. You will have the night club inside your room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family