“Try the "Love Cake"”

Ta Serbetia stou Psyrri
Ranked #30 of 135 Dessert in Athens
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Psirri / Gazi
Description: Welcome… It was the January of 1997 when a small patisserie opened its doors on Aeschylus Street 3 to offer sweets and coffee to the patrons. At the same time, other shops began to open in the neglected but historic area of Psyrri. Instigator and creator for our shop was A. Katsikaris, a native of the area and a great lover of it. The shop is a family one, exclusively.The small patisserie in the Aeschylus Street, was named "Serbetia" and gradually it became a hangout. The word "Serbetia" originates from the word "serbet" which means syrup, a kind of an aromatic drink and figuratively the sweet-talk of lovers and kisses. Every day and a different creation, a new flavor. Plenty of recipes, some comes from our grandmother who came from Istanbul, others from our mother…. and most of them are inspired by our customer or are creations of our imagination… like the well known and loved bananato a recipe that was born by experimentation... Sour cream, chocolate drops and pieces of fresh banana ...and maybe ... some “miranta” biscuits will suit well too. That's how we created the bananato. Our yard and the neighborhood smell cinnamon, sugar, mastic and fresh butter. Try our best known sweet "the love dessert” or “the passion dessert" as some have called it, which was born from the love of our customers for lot of chocolate... And in the “Serbetia of Psyrri” we love... Enjoy the exquisite bananato that stimulates the senses, the tasty tiramisu and the delicious hazelnut pie with hazelnut praline. Do not miss the cheese cake that comes in a variety of flavors and of course the ekmek politico that is served with cream from buffalo’s milk or the crunchy Kiunefe with the kaimaki ice cream. Try the "chocolate trunk" with the cookie stuffing that wakes up childhood memories or the traditional and delicious galactoboureco that never fails. For 20 years now, we create daily more than 50 pastries, sweets and desserts first in our shop and now in our modern workshop on the first floor of the preserved neoclassical building in the Aeschylus Street 3. Our modern workshop-a dream of many years-is now a reality. The workshop’s manager is Maria Katsikari who has a lot of love and passion for her work. We create daily sweets, pastries and desserts using the best ingredients provided from our 20 years suppliers-partners. We do not negotiate the quality and the purity of our ingredients. We try something different every day and we create unique and exquisite flavors for all of you who have been trusting us all these years with your preference and your good words. Visit our first floor where you will find a modern room decorated with passion and our very own personal touch, everything is handmade and unique. Here we can host events, graduations parties and private gatherings of all sorts. In our space one can enjoy the most favorable sweets of the city in a very special environment. The choice is yours!!! Welcome and Enjoy !
Lexington, Kentucky
“Try the "Love Cake"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Delicious cake like a castle surrounded by chocolate moat and smothered in chocolate fudge! Top layer of cake is fudgy and bottom layer is cakey- REALLY INCREDIBLE!!!! Enough to share but all the desserts are so delicious you will want to try them all! Service was also OUTSTANDING! Really a tremendous bunch of people serving us and giving us a warm friendly Greek experience! We will be back again and again!!

1 Thank mosetin

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I visited this place yesterday after a year. I had some relatives from Brazil and Uk and wanted them to try some traditional Greek deserts. I informed then that this was the place I was going when I was a student and that this is the place with the best flavors in Athens. To my great disappointment, this place has changed so much. The service was really bad and people were rude. I asked them to prepare a variety of flavors but not to put any ice cream with mastiha since we had an allergic person. They said that they couldn't do that so I asked them instead to put the ice cream separately in a pot. What we got instead was 1kg of icecream covering all the deserts!!!! This really made me mad. And of course we were charged an additional 10€ for what we were not going to eat. Really really bad!

1 Thank dreamwalker_22
Athens
“Good traditional desserts - unnaceptable service and prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

It’s true that in this place you will enjoy traditional desserts. But, to my opinion, it is one of the places where its popularity actually means: "we are not interested in you as a client. See, we have already as many clients as we need!"
My personal experience was unfortunately not so good for two reasons: first of all we were treated unacceptably rudely while giving our order! Surely, when you go to a place for the first time and you come across with a menu where the names of the food simple do not mean nothing to you (please note that I am Greek, so it was my native language), you want to spend some time asking and deciding.. Well, not given the opportunity! We were rudely told that other people are expecting as well and they do not have time to spend on us… Ok..
The other thing that bothered me was the prices, in combination with the policy of the place on the menu (totally inflexible!). The portions are large and they are usually accompanied with some kind of homemade cream or ice cream (in extremely large portions). If you don’t want the ice cream or the cream you simple don’t get the dessert! So you end up paying for something that you don’t eat. I don’t know…to me that’s waste of money and food..

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Maria C
“The MOST AMAZING "Cookie Pie"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I stumbled upon this place one evening as we were looking for a place to have dinner. We saw that the place was packed and everyone was speaking Greek, clearly a local spot. We thought, maybe we should just eat here, and that is when we found out it was desserts only. We knew with that kind of popularity, we had to come back! We really didn't know what to order, and the server there, Victoria, who was so helpful and kind, suggested the "Cookie Pie". This is not a cookie, and this is not a pie, no idea how they got the name, but it is the MOST amazing dessert I have ever had. It is a very lightly soaked semolina cake(ish) with a Saffron creme (tiramisu custard like) and melted chocolate sauce on top. We found out that this was created to be the owners wedding cake. We figured if the owners of a booming dessert shop is showcasing this dessert to the world as their wedding cake, it had to be good. Boy oh boy, it did not disappoint! My husband got the more traditional Kunefe with their homemade ice cream, and that was amazing as well, no cookie pie, but great! We ended up going there two times in the only 2 nights we had in Athens. They are open late and located a few minutes walking from the Monastiraki Square, along with all of the hookah bars and nightlife of Athens... definitely worth the stop!

Visited May 2013
ATHENS
“Not as great as they used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I visited Serbetia in the past quite a few times and was amazed by the desserts served (especially serbetopita). However, my last visit a few weeks ago disappointed me a lot as the quality seemed to be inferior.

• Visited April 2013