“superb experience and memorable/innovative cuisine!”
Review of Funky Gourmet

Funky Gourmet
Ranked #4 of 3,718 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Greek, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Coventry, United Kingdom
“superb experience and memorable/innovative cuisine!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

It was the first dinner me and my boyfriend had in Athens and it was EXTRAORDINARY!!! The cuisine was indeed very innovative (the waiter would explain to you what exactly they are and even the chef would come outside to explain to u!) and we indeed experienced what could Greek food possibly tastes like. The service was so sweet and we had a really good experience in this restaurant. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to our friends and yes, IT SHOULD BE THE BEST IN ATHENS!

• Visited January 2014

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens
“Good food but did not meet expectations or value for money”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I visited the restaurant in January 2014 to celebrate a special occasion. We chose the 2nd menu accompanied by the suggested wines.
Although the food was certainly good and served in impressive ways, it did not compare to other equally expensive Athens restaurants offering culinary experiences (e.g. Varoulko). During our dinner, my husband and I constantly had the same feeling: too much fuss for nothing. The look of the dishes and the whole service process were impressive and promising, but when we actually got to the level of tasting each dish served, it simply did not meet the high expectations we had for the price we were paying and the promised culinary experience.
There are definitely much better restaurants for this price with real value for money, which is far from what I can write for Funky Gourmet.

• Visited January 2014
11 Thank Greek_Traveller_9
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Funky indeed!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Funky Gourmet is a small, somewhat out-of-the-way restaurant in Athens, Greece that redefines what it means to delight diners. Their main weapon against average dining experiences is novelty, and while they used this weapon repeatedly during our time there, it never grew old, tiring or predictable. Instead, it whetted our appetite as we all thought 'what could they possibly do next'? And we were even more delighted when the 'next' was even better than we imagined.

I was there with my wife, my sister and my two children (15 year old boy and 8 year old girl). We all ate off the tasting menu (my kids are mini 'foodies').

My wife has serious food allergy, and Funky Gourmet staff were conscientious and made considerable efforts to make certain she would not have a problem. In our experience, the more serious the staff takes the issue of food allergies, the better the food and the service overall.

There were a total of 15 courses - a few amuse bouche courses, some starter courses, 3 main meat based courses, and 4 desserts. The food was served steadily, perfectly heated and with whimsical presentations that brought out 'oohs', 'aahs' and giggles from child and adult alike.

To be clear - I have never had a food presentation experience like the one I had at Funky Gourmet at any other restaurant in England, France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia, the United States, Canada, Mexico or any Caribbean island. This one was the best by a great distance.

While the food quality and flavor was excellent, it's not quite on par with Le Bernadin or Joel Robuchon. However, when combined with the novel presentations, the attentiveness of the staff, and the casual/hip elegance of the surroundings, this restaurant experience catapults to one of my favorites.

With a total of 15 courses and a cost of 130 Euros per person (not including wine or gratuity), it's not cheap but the value is extraordinary. I have never found a 15 course menu of this caliber for so little. Perhaps this is an effect of the Greek financial recession, but regardless - it's an amazing deal!

If you believe dining should be an experience, you will certainly want to put Funky Gourmet on your 'must do' list.

3 Thank JetSet1111
New York City, New York
“Wow. What a great experience”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

A truly great experience for all senses. loved the food, the service and the atmosphere. some of the dishes are truly magical.

2 Thank Arnon D
Herzliya, Israel
“A unique cullinary exeprience”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Spent a lovely evening at Funky Gourmet as part pf a weekend of sightseeing and shopping in Athens. The dinner was the culinary highlight of our stay (and we had some other good meals to compare to). We thoroughly enjoyed both the quality of the food and the very creative presentation. A dinner to be remembered!

2 Thank Moshe M