“Very Relaxing Experience”

Ranked #5 of 53 Spas & Wellness in Athens
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hammam baths has to be on your list of ‘must do’s’ when in Athens since it’s the only authentic hammam in the city. Hammam baths offers you the ultimate relaxing experience through a blissful full body scrub during the bath and a glorious massage on warm marbles. You will feel your skin so soft and refreshed as never before. The building combines traditional architecture with modern minimal interiors.Our prices welcome you to visit again and again! Enjoy your day in the historical part of the city and treat your self to a traditional hammam bath! Booking is required so call us and we will be happy to assist you!
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had just arrived from Sydney, after a 28 hour commte, and at the last moment decided on the Baths. They squeezed us in even though it was a Saturday afternoon.
The overall experience was very comfortable and very professional.
Great Facilities and very good customer service.
The steam room is very very hot, but the water to splash yourself with works!
The location was great as we could wonder the Monastiraki district and found a great place for a meal. This was a magnificent introduction to Athens.

1  Thank Michael A
in 9 reviews
"greece"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We tried the dry 1-hour massage and it was a fantastic experience, would also strongly recommend the oriental waxing (for ladies) which is done in the traditional way by an Egyptian lady whose hands are divine! The hammam is also great but if you are not into it, just skip it and have a cup of tea in the great lounge area enjoying the free loukoumi. The 4 out of 5 rating is because some towels were a bit torn (very clean though) and hopefully this will be imrpoved when they replace them with new ones.

1  Thank efal
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I had a day to spend in Athens after my early ferry from Hydra and as I'd seen most of the sights before, I decided to experience the Hammam.
It was really easy to find. Very close to Thissio metro.
When I got there I had to fill in a form with some details. The form said to avoid the hammam if you'd consumed food in the last 4 hours (I'd had breakfast as I didn't know this...but it was fine!) but just something to be aware of. I was provided with wooden clogs and a towel/wrap to wear over my bikini and locked my bags in the lockers.
Walking into the Hammam was really awesome...the ceiling looked beautiful and it was really peaceful and the sound of the running water was very calming. I went to one of the sinks and started to fill up my bowl (I'm not sure of the correct name) and poured the water over myself...It was nice to lie down on the stone, but did make me feel a little dizzy...you can go out and take a break and drink water in the lounge though.
After about 30 minutes, a male staff member took me through to the treatment area. I was a little surprised that it was a male, but I didn't mind and he was very good! My Greek is very limited but the guy made it easy for me to know what to do, with hand gestures to roll over/sit up etc...
It was my first hammam and it was odd to be lying on a table getting washed head to toe by a stranger, but it was amazing and not at all awkward or weird. I'm quite ticklish so at times I was trying not to laugh.
I had the Ali-Mama service (full body massage) and Guzel treatment (facial)...it ended with me being told to sit up and having a huge bowl of cold water poured over me...but I really enjoyed this and the guy did it again for me!
Afterwards, I stayed in the hammam for bit longer and then when I came out, there were dry towels provided as my wrap was soaked through...There is a really nice area with creams and hairdryers/combs....I used these and then sat in the lounge and drank tea and ate turkish delight.
I'm really glad I went and would love to go again. I've never felt so clean!
It was just a shame I had to leave and go back on the metro and an aeroplane back to London...it kind of cancelled out the clean feeling to be back in reality.

6  Thank machartu
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I visited these Turkish baths and very much enjoyed the experience. The facilities were modern and very clean. The staff were very professional, helpful and friendly. The location is also very good being just off the busy central Athens district of Monastiraki. The experience lasts around one and half hours with 30 mins in steam baths, 30 mins in massage and finally 30 mins in the lounge drinking great tea. You can alter the experience to suit your needs with different types of massage. I totally recommend this experience.

1  Thank martingarnham
See more reviews
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Very reasonably priced I thought.

My partner really enjoyed it as he loves Saunas. I am not really a sauna person, but i really enjoyed the expereince.

Make sure you take your togs, otherwise you have to wear single use underwear and stay wrapped up in a towel. The towel then gets saturated which makes it a pain to leave the hammam for water etc.

The communication lacked a little as to where we were supposed to go and what we were supposed to do after the bath. That probably has more to do with the fact we speak minimal Greek than anything else. But if you dont speak Greek just be ready for some guess work. Such as, where in the heck do you put stuff once you are done with your bath! haha!

Its definitely an experience though. I would say a must do at least once in your life.

2  Thank Sara V