“Day trip to Delphi”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Day trip to Delphi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We booked the night before and had no trouble. We had an early pickup, 7:35 AM, and then spent more than an hour looping around picking up other passengers only to then split the group onto different buses. This was an inefficient use of our time and. Would have preffered meeting at the main bus depot as it was only a 10 min walk from our hotel. I would recommend you ask about this option. Once we got underway we found our guide to be informative without overdoing it. I was also happy to leave the driving to our driver as he was excellent at navigating the city streets and the curvy mountain roads safely. It is a long 6-7 hour journey for about 2-3 hours at Delphi. We were into it so it made for a highlight of our time here. There were breaks each way to get a coffee or visit the toilet, but no high pressure salespeople pushing touristy junk. I would recommend you go with the inclusive lunch option. Places in the village are limited and it is easier for the group to stik together. All in all, I would recommend this tour operator and I don even like group tours! :-)

Visited August 2013
1 Thank irachi

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great trip to Mycenae and Epidaurus!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our trip to the Peloponnese! Our guide, Antonis, provided helpful commentary throughout the (very scenic) bus ride, and the itinerary - Corinth Canal, Mycenae, Napflion, and Epidavros - made for a full but manageable day. The only thing we would have changed would be to forego the stop at the tourist-trap pottery shop (which, fortunately, was brief) and instead add the time to the break at Napflion. As a side note, getting the lunch option will probably save you a couple of Euros, but the benefit of buying your own lunch is that you get to order off of the menu at the restaurant. (Note that, while some of the reviews imply that you'll get to choose your restaurant if you don't get the lunch option, this was not the case for us - there was no freedom to choose a restaurant.) Bring plenty of water, wear sunblock, and have fun!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Lauren G
Chicago, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“If you want to find out about all those mythological heroes that ya didn't pay attention to in 10th grade...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were expecting to go on the city Tour in Athens, the one that takes you to the Parliament and to the Acropolis, and the new Museum...but the Tour Manager asked if we would like to do Delphi on our first day and then do the city tour the day after. Seemed good especially as Delphi was a distance and if we had to spend the time going there on the second day, our 4:00 AM call for the airport would have been more harsh than it already was.
Evi was our tour guide and if she were to teach Greek Mythology in 10th grade, I would have paid attention and we might have visited Athens earlier! She has a really facile way of connecting all the stories and making sense (as much as those gods and goddesses messing around can make sense). She also, answered any question about what the present situation in Greece was like, and she had that sense of humor that was as dry as their finest red wine. Topics such as why all the graffiti and what the motorcycle parade protest was about.
Delphi was stunning and the humbling...I wish we could have spent more time there, but Evi made it more alive than you could imagine for an archeological site as old as that.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Catherine Y
London, United Kingdom
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Too rushed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

The coach was air conditioned and very comfortable. The guide was knowledgeable and gave a lot of useful info. Unfortunately...

the process of collecting everyone was really chaotic and took far too long. Worst of all was that we were rushed round the site (Sounion) and back onto the coach back to Athens. We had an hour to walk up to the site, hear the guide's explanation, wander round and take photos. We didn't have any time to just sit and enjoy the wonderful view and appreciate where we were. We had to grab a drink from the cafe and take it on the coach where we were warned not to spill it!

Perhaps all tours are like this? It's the only one we did and we won't be rushing to do anything others.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Ailsa56
Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The guide makes all the difference!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Was actually booked on a 4 days 3 nights classical greece tour (including Meteora) on G.O tours. For practical economic/finance reasons, the 2 tour operators are combining customers of the same tours. Thus, the first 2.5 days of my tour was conducted by Chatours while the remaining 1.5 days to Meteora was by G.O tours.

My husband and I enjoyed the first 2.5 days greatly as we had a knowledgable guide, Amelios, who shared with us on the histories and greek mythology in an easily understood manner with humor injected at the right junctures. Before arriving at the archeological site, he will give us the overall background of the place. When at the site, he will then go into the specifics of the exhibits. He also did a good job linking the 3 main archeological sites together... for eg how the workmanship of the statutes had evolved over time. He gave us a lot of insights to the archeological sites, enabling us to better appreciate and understand what we are seeing.

It was a great pity that we did not have the chance to continue the trip to Meteora with him. Meteora is an awe-inspiring place and we could have learned more about the place from Amelios. The second guide we had from G.O tour was bad - reciting and repeating information randomly.

In terms of the tour arrangement, it is well executed. In the first morning, there was a fair bit of driving around Athens to pick up other guests. And we all waited for about 20-30 mins at the Terminal for things to be sorted out- who should go on which bus, etc. But I think such waiting around for the 1st morning is acceptable given the price which we are paying.

The group size was a comfortable 20 odd pax and the tour is English only. My Meteora portion had a group size of 40 pax and it was multi-lingual (English & French). I find that the group size is too big and multi-lingual is quite time-wasting as we had to wait around for the guide to finish the commentary in 2 languages, ie double the time spent at the monastry. As the monastry is not big, most of us waited on the coach for close to 45 mins.

I'll consider using Chatours the next time i visit Greece but I'll double check onthe following - estimated group size, single language only or multi-lingual. As for the guide, it's really a luck thing I guess...

Visited May 2013