Herodion Hotel(Athens)
$162
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $196/night.

Plaka Hotel(Athens)
$224
$217
$89
$86
Bookgreece.com
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $104/night.

$191
$121
Bookgreece.com
Savings alert! 45% below average rates

The price you found is 45% lower than this hotel's average rate of $221/night.

$197
$170
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of $263/night.

Melia Athens(Athens)
$161
$124
Priceline
  • Pool
$98
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $130/night.

New Hotel(Athens)
$412
$385
  • Pool
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $430/night.

2,441 results
All reviewslycabettus hillkolonaki squarerooftop pooltop floorfloor restaurantexcellent viewboutique hotelacropolis viewbreakfast roomcentral athensbalconytaxigreeceneighborhoodgreekminibarcafes
Reviewed October 25, 2009

My wife and I arrived at the St. George on my birthday after a long ferry ride from Naxos. The first thing that jumped out at me from our 3rd floor balcony was the stunning view of the Acropolis (lit at night) and downtown Athens. Wow. We stayed five nights and we spent some quality time on the cute little balcony pondering our lives and the many lives below. I have seen negative reviews about service and such but everyone was very pleasant and prompt in waiting on us. I'm recovering from back surgery six months ago so I was regularly requesting a bucket of ice which was promptly delivered to the room with a smile (and no charge) by room service. We ate at the restaurant one night and the food was fine but we preferred to eat out at the nearby restaurants. By Athens standards, the hotel is quiet. There is a park directly across the street (on the Acropolis side) and a quiet neighborhood on the back side. The room was nice and even spacious by European standards and our king-size bed was firm but very comfortable. As has been pointed out in other reviews, everything is down from the hotel. The hill is steep and we took cabs back to the hotel but happily walked down to the parliament building, Benaki Museum, Plaka, Acropolis Museum, etc.

Speaking of cabs..there was one funny thing that happened to us with cabs (my wife was not, however, amused). Taxis are cheap by American standards. Normally they run off of a meter and after rush hour a ride from Plaka (the tourist shopping district) to our hotel would cost about 3.50 Euros. Here's the scam..the taxi driver would pretend that he had never heard of the hotel, could not speak a word of English, stop at every corner to ask about the St. Georgio Hotel, drive back and forth rather than directly to the hotel, etc., etc. All of this is, of course, to run up the meter by a Euro or two. My wife thought that she had out-smarted the taxi drivers by using the card furnished by the hotel with map and address on it in Greek but even that didn't work. This made me laugh but made steam come out of her ears. We decided on the next trip that we would negotiate the seemingly desired 5 Euro fare with the taxi driver when we got in and save the theater.

Athens was better than I expected. It reminded me a lot of Rome but was a bit less expensive. The traffic is pretty scary. I would certainly never rent a car in Athens (although we did rent in the country-side). Crossing the street can be dangerous. The motorcycle/scooter crowd does not care whether the light is red nor do they care if a street is marked for pedestrians-only. So keep your eyes open on the street.

Cheers.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dwmeyer
Reviewed October 21, 2009

The reception area gives a good impression and the roof top restaurant was excellent. However, the bedroomroom was small and we asked to be moved, but that room did not even have any drawers so we were unable to unpack all our clothes.
The first evening did not go well because there was a wedding party and even though our bedroom was located on the 4th floor and the Wedding party was on the 6th floor, we were kept awake until 3am with the sound of thumping music.
Having spotted a tablet on the bathroom floor when we moved bedrooms we waited for this to be moved and it was still there 5 days later. The bathroom was dirty and was not cleaned thoroughly during our stay.
The staff in the restaurant were friendly and smiled a lot, but we found most of the staff in the reception area to be rather surly.
The good point about the Hotel is that it does enjoy exceptional views over Athens and to the Accropolis

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roblin70
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Stayed at this hotel with my partner when we visited Athens in Oct 2009. This hotel is definitely not worth its 5 star rating and is terribly overpriced for what it actually offers. This hotel boasts good views of Athens but be warned you have to stay in a room above the 3rd floor and at the front of the hotel to experience such views. The room we stayed in was billed at approx. 400 euros a night, but we got a discount. If we were paying the full price I would have gone hopping mad! The room was very cramped, the curtains did not meet letting in the blue neon hotel lights, the window only opened a crack, and the view we had was of a wall! Seriously, just a plain old wall of the back area of the hotel! Furthermore, we were placed in a family room with a small bed pushed in that we did not request and for a family room it contained a masive mirror measuring 8 foot high x 5 foot wide which was just pushed up against the wall with a flimsy hook to hold it in place: not great for a family room in my opinion. Great though if you have a vanity issue!! The walls were quite thin and let noise in from other rooms all too easily. A fact I became painfully aware of at 4am when I had to complain to the hotel staff because our neighbour was making so much noise. The TV knob was broken, the channels were severely limited in choice and to make matters worse the reception was absolutely crap with most of the channels being rendered unwatchable. Extras like the bathroom scales was nice: if they worked (which they did not). The minibar was highly priced - a KitKat would cost you approx. 5 euros! The hotel is also quite deceptive in that they leave a selection of the minibar tit-bits by the TV giving the impression that they are complimentary - we didn't risk it at 5 euros!
The thing that really disappointed me was that if you had your own laptop to use in your room you had to pay for internet access. We had to buy 2 hours internet access for 6 euros - 24 hours costs you 18 euros. A 5 star hotel can't provide free internet access from your room!! To be fair though you could go downstairs to the bar and use the computer for free - just make sure you use the computer that is connected to a printer if you are engaging in on-line airline booking.
Another liberty taken by this hotel was that breakfast cost 28 euros for a buffet. Seriously, this breakfast was nothing special and was pretty much ordinary standard. Thankfully we got breakfast included in the room price, but again I would have gone mad if I had to pay 28 euros on top of the expensive room prices. And remember fellow travellers, I am talking about a 400 euro room for the night - lets not lose perspective here! A positive on the breakfast related issue is that the breakfast room on the 6th floor did have the boasted view of the acropolis - which was beautiful.
The transport to and from this hotel is non-existant and the only transport on offer is a mini-bus which did not operate at the time of our stay. If the mini-bus was operating though, it did so haphazardly - no regular service to report and even hotel staff had to check when it was running at any given time. No kidding: no public transport on offer near this hotel, worth keeping in mind. On a positive note, the hotel did provide us with a free lift to the airport. The staff were helpful though, and not rude at all. Although they were not knowledgable of the local area.
The location: OK be warned - this hotel is located on a steep hill, a very STEEP hill with lots of stairs. Not accessible to the elderly, disabled or those with young children (especially if said kids are in a push chair). The location is expensive and it was actually cheaper in the tourist district for eating out and shopping. Worth noting is this hotel's restuarant facilities: not special and excessively expensive - just walk out a bit and enjoy a decent bite to eat at a cheaper, reasonable price.
Oh, I should say a few more positive things. Well, I thought about this and the good things are: spare pillows are given which are nice to sleep on, bathrobes provided, hairdryer provided (did not attempt to use this though), trouser press faciliity in room and the beds were fairly comfortable to sleep on, coffee making facilities in room provided although more milk would have been nice!
The hotel is located near Lycabettius Hill (within walking distance), which does have amazing views of Athens.
I know people may scoff at my review saying that 'she wants a 5 star service from a 5 star hotel' and they would be right - this hotel is NOT deserving of its 5 star status in my experience/opinion and if you do have the money to pay for the full price of room and the additional sum of 28 euros for breakfast, then please do yourself a favour and ask for a decent room (see above rant for ideal location!).

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GulliverTales
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Was staying at this hotel as had a conference in one of the the function rooms. Service and food during the event were fine, but not great.

If you get a room with a balcony, facing the acropolis, you will have a fantastic view. We were fortunate to be staying in rooms with great views. You really are paying for this though. I would say this hotel is extortionate at 300euro per room per night. If it didnt have the view it would be 4 star at a push.

The buffet breakfast is good. The main selling point of this hotel is the view from the breakfast restaurant (see picture).

There is a spa, which you can use the steam room in for free, however it didn't open on Sundays! There is also a fabulous roof top pool, but being April it wasn't open when we were there (was too cold anyway).

Nice place to stay if you have money to burn, but I would say it was more of a 4 star than the 5 star it claims to be.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Located in the most expensive area of athens on Lycabettus hill. The view to the parthenon and the acropolis is so fantastic that even if it was a terrible hotel it would be hard to say bad things about it. The breakfast is an unforgettabel experience. The dinner is an unforgettable experience for your wallet, but you only live once.. Easy to reach the centre of the city on foot hard to climb back the hill, take a taxi instead. the rooms are very clean and comfortable. You will enjoy your staying there.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple