“Only average, nothing to do with five stars”

Saint George Lycabettus
Ranked #65 of 325 Hotels in Athens
“Only average, nothing to do with five stars”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

After several stays in different hotels in Athens we went to the Lykabettus Hotel. We booked a panoramic acropolis room, the view indeed fantastic, but, the room very small, only around 15m2, far too small for the price. The bathroom also very small, no wifi in the room, equipment of the bathroom pretty basic, everything more like a good three to four star hotel, nothing for five stars, up from the price.Staff very friendly and helpful

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest Aigle 1860,
Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor. We are glad that you found our staff helpful, and enjoyed our view. The St George Lycabettus Hotel is a family owned and run establishment and we take great pride in providing our valued guests with a warm welcome to Athens. Our guest rooms and suites all have superior speed wi-fi packages available, and Internet access is free in our comfortable public areas. The hotel features a range of room types, views and decor styles; hence the boutique reference in our marketing material. We aim to provide a warm, relaxed atmosphere, and a real taste of Greece which is often missing in large chain properties. We list room sizes in a clear manner on our websites to give a true picture of the services we provide.
We hope this assures you of our dedication to providing a high quality hospitality product, Warmest regards,
The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Not a 5 star hotel, 4 at best. Rooms are smallish with no wi-fi. To get this you have to sit in a certain part of reception. Location is well away from the main tourist attractions, about a 20 min walk, down a steep hill. There is a great view of the Acropolis from the upstairs restaurant and (small) pool area. Looks great lit up at night. Prices are pretty high, so not a place for a big night out, unless someone else is paying. Expensive for what it is, but maybe that's Athens.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest Mindai,
Thank you for posting your observations on trip advisor. Please allow me to address your comments. We offer superior speed wi-fi packages in our guest rooms and suites, and supply free access in all our comfortable public areas. Our location is unrivalled for its provision of elegant restaurants, art galleries and museums. Our pricing strategy offers a wide range of room types and menu choices to suit a variety of budgets. We attach a great deal of importance to providing all of our guests with value for money, and a feeling of being well looked after during their stay.
We hope to have the pleasure of looking after you again during your next visit to Athens, Kindest regards,
Weaverville, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Rooms were small and outdated. Pictures were misleading. 5***** hotel??? We stayed in a 3*** hotel down the street for a fraction of the price with the same accommodations without the 9 euro beer price.....what a joke.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest Ben D,
Thank you for posting your observations on trip advisor. At the St George Lycabettus Hotel, our guests always come first, and we are always happy to address any concerns our valued guests may have. The hotel is a family owned and run establishment and we take pride in offering a warm welcome to Athens. The photographs of the hotel reflect our rooms and suites in an honest and straightforward light, as indeed all our business is conducted. Our room dimensions are clearly listed upon booking. Our pricing tariff is carefully based on offering a range of room types to suit a variety of budgets, and value for money to all.
We hope this assures you of our commitment to providing a quality hospitality product,
Kind regards,
Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed at the St George Lycabettus in October. Prices are extremely high and if, like us, you do not have a room with a view your view is actually a wall!!! The rooms are old and we found hair in the bathroom... The view from the roof bar is great but the furniture is miserable (although they still charge you 8,5€ for an orange juice!). If you have young children the hotel is not practical at all as there are stairs everywhere. I have uploaded pictures of the "view" from our room as well as of the sofa on the roof bar.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Philbe
Dear Guest Philbe,
Thank you for posting your observation on trip advisor. My team and I would like to assure you that we take all feedback very seriously. The pricing strategy at the hotel is based on room type and offers a range to suit a variety of budgets. The rooms, suites, and public areas are continuously assessed for hygiene, maintenance and wear to allow us to target our in-house refurbishment program. In the unusual event of a housekeeping oversight, we are always only too pleased to immediately address any concerns our valued guests may have. The hotel welcomes families - we are always delighted to welcome young guests. Stairs are protected with fire doors where necessary, and of course there are lifts to each floor. Any extra assistance is always gladly given to our valued guests.
Kind regards,
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on multiple occasions for both business and pleasure. The location is interesting as it is in a very nice part of the city, close to shopping at sight-seeing areas. The hotel itself is a combination of several buildings that have been connected, which gives it a very unique look and feel. Rooms are all over the place from small and in need of renovation to large and updated. It definitely has it's own charm and feel, no like many chain hotels. If your willing to put up with a little quirkiness and a staff that is "good" but not "excellent" than this hotel could be a good choice for you. By international standards this is a four star + hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room ask to see another!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AmidaBuddha
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest AmidaBuddha,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. My team and I are always happy to receive feedback from our valued guests. Please let me assure you that our renovation program is specifically designed to target each area of the hotel in an unobtrusive manner. It is of great importance to us that we provide a high quality product for all our guests to enjoy. We are pleased to hear you find staff "good", but we do hope you will find us "excellent" during your next stay!
Thank you again for your encouraging comments.
Kindest regards,
The management Team
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Having been robbed of most of my money and my passport at the airport bus stop at Piraeus ( be warned , a common occurrence )
I had to find a hotel near the British
Embassy in order to obtain an emergency passport .
My husband , in Uk , arranged for me to stay the night at the Saint George .
When I arrived at the hotel. , flustered and under some stress , the young lady at reception knew who I was and was very welcoming , explaining the easiest way to get to the embassy. , telling me I could leave my cases in the hotel , giving me a map ..
The porter who took me to my room( without a tip , so sorry )
Explained to me how to use the Internet ( free in public rooms. )
I was able to make a cup of tea and then I went to the upstairs restaurant ( full of American tourists ! ) and then to the bar .. What a beautiful view from there .! I had a very good
Lamb meal and a rather large ( 8 euro ) ouzo .. The service and the good were excellent , I only wish I had been there in better circumstances ..
My room , on 2nd floor , was quiet ( overlooking an interior courtyard. )
and comfortable .
Breakfast , at 22 euros , was not cheap , but there was plenty of choice and once again, what a view .
I would like to thank the staff at reception for being so kind and I would love to come back and stay at this hotel again with my husband and in a happier frame of mind . The location is perfect , I would recommend the hotel while - heartedly ..

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest Jilly60,
My team and I are delighted to have been able to help during your stay. Thank you for your kind review - it is so encouraging to receive such positive feedback from our valued guests. We hope to see you again soon with your husband and hope that your next visit will be under happier, less stressful circumstances.
Warmest regards,
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

5* hotel ... You must kidding me!This hotels needs to be restored,immediately!The only good thing about it is the location and the view!The bathroom was a bit old fashioned.Sparkling Wine upon arrival,yes you wish!They didn't even apologize for it!I had to go down to the reception to ask for the wine bottle after 20 minutes of our arrival!Free use of Gym and Hamam,when everybody could join them ???So funny!180 € per night?Crazy expensive for no reason!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise and better view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank George K
Dear Guest George K,
Thank you for posting your observations on trip advisor. Please allow me to address the points you highlighted. The hotel employs a continuos refurbishment program which has been specifically designed to be as unobtrusive as possible in order to provide our valued guests with a quality product. The VIP Romantic Break Package is very popular, and I have alerted the relevant departments to your observations - thank you for pointing them out. The use of the gym and steam room is included in our rates - these well equipped services are available to all our valued guests. Our price range is carefully planned to offer value for money, and a wide selection of room types. At the St George Lycabettus hotel , the guest always comes first.
We hope this assures you that we address all observations seriously.
Kindest regards,