“Definitely not a 5-star experience”

Saint George Lycabettus
Ranked #65 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed September 24, 2013

5-stars....you must be kidding me.
The hotel appear kind of worn down, when you walk in the lobby.
We got the room "Panoramic Twin Acropolis View", on the 4th floor (no. 412).
The view was really beautiful and the room was equiped with a huge bed, which made our sleep excellent. The bathroom was a bit old fashioned. The doors were very thin, so you could hear everyting that happened outside in the hallway. Even the neighbors morning wake up call from the reception and their following gymnastic excersises could be heard at 7am.
The cocktail bar just beside the hotel is very loud Friday and Saturday night. Though the windows take some of the noise...but some of the rooms are very close to the bar, so just be aware of it, when booking your room.
Paid a crazy €160 per night, even with the 15% discount per night included. It is 5-star in the paper, but it needs a serious make over to make these 5-star count for real.

Checking out was a bad experience, when I got to deal with a cranky man behind the counter.
I was suprised about the room rate, so I questioned it, which seemed to offend him. Really not my problem.
Anyway I paid the amount without any further objections. He ended up printing the invoice and throwing it on the counter. Not the Greek service I have met on my 2 week long trip in Greece.
I hope this was a one timer, or that he just had a bad day on the job.

Pool on the roof top, small, but ok.
Great panorama view of the city and Acropolis from the bar/restaurant on top as well. Though the prices as €15 for a cocktail or €9 euro for a beer made us spend our money elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Guest Anders H,
Thank you for posting your observation on trip advisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the view from your room. Please allow me to address some of the points you highlighted with regard to your stay. The refurbishment policy we employ at this time is a continuous one, which targets all areas of the hotel in an unobtrusive manner to avoid detracting from the comfort of our valued guests. Sound proofing, general privacy, and a feeling of being well looked after are priorities at the St George Lycabettus Hotel - these issues are always foremost in our refurbishment planning.
The staff at the hotel are all trained to a high standard and selected for their warm characters and people skills - thank you for alerting me to your observation regarding checkout.
The pricing stategy at the hotel is carefully planned to provide the best value for money for our valued guests. Our location in the "Knights Bridge" of Athens, unsurpassed views and attentive service all contribute to a memorable stay with us in Athens. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future and allow us to assure you that we take all our valued guests' observation very seriously.
Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Saint George Lycabettus

Reviewed September 23, 2013

The room was very clean and the view was excellent. We enjoyed the restaurant at the roof. The deserts were so delicious... Also the breakfast was very rich. It included a big selection of all the traditional greek products amongst others. .
It would be very nice with the view if the music was classic..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest Deen M,
Thank you for your kind review on trip advisor; we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We shall look into your suggestion with regard to classical music - thank you for making your observations known to the team at the St George Lycabettus where our guests always come first. We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We like Kolonaki, this is why we chose this hotel...We had a good price of 75€ so we did not expect the best room...So we had no view, which we didn't really mind..the room was clean,very small, furniture a bit outdated, the bed not very comfortable..on the hard side...and located right next to the houskeeping.. so impossible to sleep late in the morning, as you hear the housekeeping ladies talking and the noise of their equipment...I saw other rooms that had two doors with a little corridor before actually entering the room, I would recommend asking for this type of room if you are noise sensitive. But I guess they dont give those rooms when they are sold for a low price...its OK..we understand...There is a safe, a fridge,and a kettle ...usefull..The rooftop pool is very small with very few chairs to lie down..there are maybe 6 or 7 long chairs! The view however, is beautiful!!!
the staff is very nice, but the internet is not so good...We stayed there 1 night and it was fine for the price we paid.
But I would not call this a Boutique Hotel or a 5 star hotel...Loved the location, close to nice restaurants and shops, subway and Syntagma square.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
lycabettus, Owner at Saint George Lycabettus, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest sail sea1,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. The St George Lycabettus Hotel is a family owned and run hotel where our valued guests always come first. The hotel employs a refurbishment policy which allows us to continually update without imposing on our guests. Our pricing strategy allows us to provide a range of room types to suit every need and budget. We offer unrivalled value for money in our exclusive neighbourhood of Kolonaki. The rooftop pool and lounge area has been carefully designed to take advantage of breath-taking views and of course, the Athenian sunshine. The hotel is a boutique style property - taking the title from our individual design and our friendly family atmosphere which sets us apart from large chain hotels.
Internet at the hotel is free in all of our public areas. Packages featuring high speed connection are available for an extra charge in your room in line with rates in Europe. Our well-trained team are always happy to assist you.
Warm regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Very nice clean, hypoallergenic (hard wood floor) with a nice small pool on the roof. Breakfast views are amazing and the room view of the Parthenon is a plus. Very centrally located to Kolonaki are for shopping and dinning. Nice and accommodating staff. This was my second stay but the first after the renovations. Excellent choice for a concert because you can hike up the Lycabettus hill and skip the traffic and parking issue. Breakfast was very good with Greek/ Mediterranean choices and american buffet. Loved it there and stayed for 4 days.

Room Tip: ask for a room with view of Parthenon
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. My team and I are delighted to receive your positive feedback - at the St George Lycabettus Hotel the guest always comes first. We look forward to looking after you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night after staying at the Radisson and before flying home. Rooms and appointments probably not as good as the Radisson but staff were lovely. Dined at the rooftop restaurant which was probably the best meal we had in Athens. Pricey but worth the euros. Setting excellent, view magnificent, food and wine excellent, service very good. We also enjoyed breakfast here as well. We walked to the city centre which was not as far as the previous hotel, but we do enjoy our walks.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. My team and I are delighted to receive your positive feedback - at the St George Lycabettus Hotel the guest always comes first. We look forward to looking after you again in the near future, Warmest regards, The Management Team

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This boutique hotel is located on Mount Lycabettus, within walking distance to its cable car, but in an upscale residential area and a very long hike from the Plaka and city center. Desk staff was not warm and welcoming. Our king room A5 was large with small TV, safe and mini fridge. The room itself was a bit 'tired' with worn carpet and shower/tub combo. While the room view was not spectacular, the 7th floor pool bar and 6th floor restaurant are noted for its "Made in Greece" view of the Acropolis. Even if not staying there, the restaurant is worthy dining for both the view and superb food. We stayed at the hotel one night with a group prior to departing on a small ship cruise.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I chose this hotel as I wanted to be near Lycabtus and in the downtown area. The price on offer seemed very good for the type of hotel and facilities described.

I was not disappointed. I was welcomed on arrival with a warm and friendly greeting. The woman on reception seemed to know exactly who I was without first have to check the computer or the files, so she had clearly researched the arrivals for that day.

The room was very good; I chose the cheaper room with the internal view but it was light and airy and I didn't mind the fact that there was no view. The room was comfortable with a nice modernised bathroom. The only negative point was that the TV was the old CRT type. Whilst I didnt need to actually use the TV, when you first enter the room gives an unnecessary negative impression.

Breakfast on the terrace was wonderful. A good selection of food without being overwhelming, including a feature table with specialities from different parts of Greece. The staff were wonderfully pleasant, helpful and efficient.

I think for the price paid it was excellent value for money and I was very happy with the choice. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo