“Dangerous After Dark”
Review of Omonia Square

Ranked #308 of 339 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as the heart of Athens, this busy city center is full of shops, bars, clubs and restaurants.
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had the misfortune of experiencing Omonia Square due to booking a room at the Achillion Hotel through American Airlines Vacations. We were first warned about the danger of the square by our taxi driver from the airport who told us to stay out of the area after dark as "it is the most dangerous square in Athens." Then, as he was dropping us off at our hotel two blocks from the square, said that he would not be able to drive us back to the airport for our flight home as he had offered 20 minutes before.

When we left the hotel later that evening to get dinner (It's hard to avoid going out after dark when sunset is at 4:30pm in November!), we saw homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks and punks running around the square. I felt a little safer walking around with my husband, but did notice that women did not venture out in the area alone after dark.

The best had to be when we went to Santorini for a couple of days, and even there were warned to stay out of Omonia Square. Apparently the area is well known all over Greece for it's sketchiness.

1  Thank BostonSummerGirl

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is a good place to catch the subway and go to the bank. Not a place you want to hang around after dark.

1  Thank Seph1
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I'm not at all a posh person, but I have to say that the surroundings of Omonia are quite scary, especially when it is dark. The square itself is ok, but the narrow streets around are frightening... One of the main reasons is that there are almost not streetlights!! Look, I was bumping into a guy who was throwing up in the middle of the sIdewalk, I didn't notice him until the last minute!!! In my opinion, installing some streelights would improve the situation, a bit at least. But I agree with people who think that Omonia is an area to avoid, especially at night.

2  Thank babyparis80
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I hear that Omonia used to be the center of Athens. I don't know when that was, but clearly things have changed. Athens in general has seen much better days, and Omonia Square like no other place seems to symbolize the decay of the city.

I was there with three other guys, so no one bothered us and we never really felt unsafe. However, this doesn't make the area any more appealing. Everything there looks like a third world country, including the buildings and the people. Pretty much the only Greeks you will see are those selling lottery tickets (or something like that) on the street.

Despite being a pedestrian square, around it there is a lot of noise and pollution, adding to the feeling. The shops and eateries in the area are shady, so we went for KFC which is something you will rarely do in other parts of Athens and Greece in general, which has great food (and inexpensive too).

This place can only be considered "worth visiting" if your goal is to see the contrast between the nice Athens and the poor dilapidated Athens. Otherwise, if you're not staying here (which you shouldn't, but assuming you already booked...) then avoid this place.

2  Thank Ynhockey