“So-so”

and up
City Sightseeing Athens Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #205 of 351 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as the heart of Athens, this busy city center is full of shops, bars, clubs and restaurants.
Morton Grove, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“So-so”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Currently staying in Omonia at Aristotles Hotel. The area isn't the greatest, and yes you see the junkies hanging around but its not terrible. I got a nice hotel for a great deal and its only a 5 minute walk to the Omonia metro station. I am a single female traveling alone and I haven't felt nervous at all walking from my hotel to the train. Maybe its because I come from a bigger city. Just keep your head up, be mindful of who is around you and walk with a purpose. Same rules apply in any big city and you will be just fine. I haven't gone out at night... probably won't since I am alone so I am only speaking of during the day, but its not too bad around here.. a little run down is all.

Visited June 2013

None, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Omnia area”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have stayed here many times on trips to Athens as a solo female an with a husband. The worst is the junkies all over apparently it hasn't changed. I felt safe though being naturally tough an looking native. The Indians following an harassing me at night bothered me more than the junkies an the horrible smell of curry I felt like I was tin India.
I stayed in one hotel which was quite clean safe an friendly.
I also god forbid stayed on Sofuqledius street which was also cheap but full of prostitutes. It was quite a colorful area with the fish market , the farmers market an the pet shop . I enjoyed it.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank tefania
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Do not stay or go here!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I wrote the review "Dangerous - we were robbed" and i've come back to this page to a) read other reviews of this god awful place and b) add further information to my story as well as reinterating how dangerous this area is.

I am very disappointed to see people defending this area, especially Greeks, are you crazy?
Even if my girlfriend and I weren't attacked and robbed i'd stil have a negative view of this place. It was in part due to misformation on Omonia Square that we stayed there, which in turn meant we could've avoided this whole situation. DO NOT STAY HERE!

My story continued...

So we continued our Greek trip and did the islands as planned, although this incident did put a real dampner on the islands for us unfortuantely.
We arrived in Mykonos and went straight the to police station to make our report, we were told it had to be done at the local station, which meant we had to go back to this area!

We had to spend two nights in Athens in order to get this done (waste of time and money). The ferry didn't get back to Athens from Santorini til late in the afternoon so we had to do it the next day. We stayed near Syntagma Square on our return. We used the hotel reception's phone to call the tourist police to confirm which station, the receptionist heard us and we spoke about it. She said she'd been robbed three times herself, she said that "people would rob you even if they thought you had one Euro".

Eventhough it's walking distance from Syntagma to Omonia we took the metro, upon leaving Omonia Station there was a junkie with a needle stuck in his arm sitting there as you got off the escalator. The streets around the Square are very confusing and we got lost and went down the wrong street looking for the station, when we turned around to go back to the square we saw a lady smacked out on heroin having her handbag raided by two men at a bus stop whilst other people just sat there. We wanted to get the hell out of here.

The police station was pretty bad, it was like an abandoned building, filthy and uninviting. We had to wait an hour to be dealt with, and by dealt with i mean fill in a form that says 'Declaration of loss', nothing else. I said to them we were robbed, i have descriptions and details, they did not care at all. Who knows what the figures for crime are in Greece, certainly our incident didn't count. We were worried that this form wouldn't be worth anything to the insurance company because it could be interpreted as us just saying we lost a bag of stuff not that we were assaulted and robbed but what could we do?

The receptionist said the form was right, bar the English sections so I felt very relieved. And for the record our insurance paid out on the claim, so no bitter ending.

So please please please do not stay or go here. Pay the extra money for a safer area such as the Plaka or Syntagma but still be very cautious, especially at night.

In all honesty you only need two full days in Athens, spend as little time here as possible. The islands were great, spend as much time there as possible.

p.s i'd like to add this was the only bad incident on our 5.5 month European, Turkish and Egyptian backpacking adventure.

Visited June 2012
8 Thank aussietraveller1989
ATHENS
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“Omonoia, in the center”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I read other people's recent reviews and they seem to me at least unfair and obsolete. It is true, Omonoia has seen better days, but the worse are definately over, and the truth is that you can walk in Omonoia any time of the day or night, safely, and enjoy your walk and the beautiful old buildings still adorning Omonoia, and the streets emanating from Omonoia Square. Take St Costantine street ,it will lead you to the majestic building of Royal Theatre (now National Theater) that Ernst Ziller buit in the 19th century for the reigning king George's pleasure, a magnificent example of neoclassic architecture, recently refreshed. Better still, enter it and see a performance in one of many theater scenes. Or take Athenas' street and walk to the also exceptionally beautiful old Athens Town Hall, of pentelikon marble,enter and see the beautiful inside wall murals, done in the mid30' by George Gounaro, a celebrated Greek painter. Continue on Athenas street to the Fish,Meat and Veg market that is an attraction in itself, old but still functioning,with the smells and feeling of old. In the front there several shops with dry fruit and nuts, herbs and spices, some unique to Athens. Opposite there are sausage and cured meats shops, cheeses, honey and bee products from many parts of Greece. There are a few restaurants to stop for a bite or drink on the market square. Continue on Athenas street, under the lilac trees, there are all kinds of appliances stores along your way, with the lowest prices in Athens. Athenas street always was, still is, the place with shops the Athenians prefer for good quality and good price merchandise: Home appliances, shoes, clothes of any size,garden and flowers, anything you need you can find there, or be directed where to find it nearby. At the end of Athenas street you are at Monastiraki square(recently beautifully paved with variant marble pieces, new and old),in front of a cute little church among all sorts of restaurants, modern and traditional, tourist souvenir shops, next to the remains of a thousand year old Christian temple with Corinthian columns, an Ottoman roundish mosque, and at the foot of the Acropolis rock, the Parhenon high in the blue sky, inviting you to see more and closer.

Visited May 2013
10 Thank SPYRIDON-OF
Singapore, Singapore
224 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,395 helpful votes
“Top tips for visiting Omonia Square”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is pretty much a square for the locals to meet and greet their friends when they are about to head somewhere else. It doesn't really have much but just a stop for everyone to wait for their friends. I wrote a review about Athens Central market and it is just right next to this square. These are some of the tips i can provide when you are around this neighborhood!

Tip 1: Want to see where the local Greeks shop for their daily food? This is the place to go. They literally have everything in the Central Market.

Tip 2: From fruit and vegetables, halva, delight, sweets to bird cages and pet rabbits, fruit and vege are so cheap in Athens, local fresh fish and meat are very cheap too.

Tip 3: If you want a good gyros, you will be able to find it around this area. I suggest you start exploring the place from Omonia Square as a focal point and then slowly walk into the inner bit of Athinas Street.

Tip 4: It is very difficult to find the meat market but what you can do is walk into the shop and ask the shop assistant and they wil be happy to help. You have to go to the meat market and have a look at the market, it is truly an eye-opener!

Tip 5: As Central market is very localised, most of the locals do not like to see foreigners in their territory, so try not to be obnoxious. Just blend in with the crowd. Sometimes you might find dodgy people walking around Omonia square as well so make sure you look after your belongings.

Tip 6: Remember to wear a good pair of shoes because some of the areas are quite wet and slippery.

If you think my reviews have been helpful to you, please click 'Yes' for 'Was this review helpful?'

Visited April 2013