“Not good for honeymooners & poor value for money”
Review of Hilton Athens

Ranked #21 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not good for honeymooners & poor value for money”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We are on our honeymoon, and due to concerns over the protests in Syntagma Square (where the prominent luxury hotels reside), we opted for Hilton. I accrue a lot of reward points through Citi, so I used the points to book the room. When booking the room, I let them know we were on our honeymoon and asked for a high room (preferably with a view of the acropolis). They did not accomodate the request nor did we receive any sort of preferential touches. We were checked into a room on the 5th floor with a mountain view that was really just a slight glimpse of some mountain tops above buildings. They also placed us right above a disco that didnt allow us to sleep all night (I kid you not it was as if I was in the club). We did not complain though since after traveling from the US we were quite jet legged & only staying 3 nights ...Onto the value, wifi is 18 euro ($26) per night (discounted if you buy more than one night) & you can only use it on ONE device (so forget about your phone or ipad if you added it to your laptop, lets say). One drink at the rooftop bar will average you 17 euros ($25!) for a regular size alcholic beverage (mojito, martini, etc) with some of the special cocktails running as high as 26 euros (yes folks, one drink!). Now, this is the most I have paid for a drink in my life, surpassing the $25 humongous tiki bowl drink we had at a rooftop bar in Vegas that was 6x the size. The pool is also a significant added daily charge unless you're Hilton Gold I believe. The rooms themselves however are very good/nicely decorated and the buffet breakfast is terrific. This hotel is however best suited for business travelers.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BostonTravelers123
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to forward to our attention your comments regarding your stay here in August.

It is concern to see that you were not satisfied with most aspects of your visit. Please accept our sincere apologies for this. All the points you have raised have been taken into serious consideration and reviewed with my colleagues in order to take appropriate action, where needed.

Once again, many thanks for your valuable feedback, which is mostly appreciated as this is the only way to improve our services and correct any shortcomings.

Hilton Athens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2011

When one thinks of Athens, one thinks of Hera or Hercules, and maybe not Hilton, but you should think again!

A beautifully refurbished facility, including extensive exercise rooms, a spa, beauty center, indoor pool and here's a plus, an OUTDOOR pool, this hotel can meet the needs of any traveller, even those with children.

The staff was helpful and knowledgeable about the sights and transit options in the city.
They were eager to assist the guests, both at the front desk and at the Executive Lounge.
When they did not know an answer they took great pains to find out the needed information.

The breakfast, included in our package had many hot and cold options. The room is bright and welcoming. The restaurant was open all day for lunch and dinner .
On the roof is a bar/club with a fabulous view of the city and Acropolis, lit against the night sky. The music went on late into the night, but did not disturb the guests because of the soundproofing.
The rooftop restaurant has a somewhat limited menu but the view and atmosphere is wonderful and the food was delicious, if a bit pricey

Our room had a balcony and an Acropolis view. The bathrooms were large, including a tub and a separate shower. There was a lot a closet space, a desk and good lighting [a pet peeve of mine in hotels]
The hotel is 1.5 blocks from a Metro station, or a 15 minute straight walk, past a park, museums and many Embassies to the main square.This is actually a plus as being in the thick of things can make it chaotic to come and go. The center of town is crowded and often has demonstrations or other large groups gathered. It was a pleasant oasis to return to the Hilton, relax at the pool and have a drink after a long day of sightseeing.

Room Tip: Ask ahead if you can get upgraded to a Acropolis view room, regardless of what room you booked
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FastFax
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, August 30, 2011

Thank for your comments!

We were delighted to have you staying here with us and happy to read that you were satisfied with Hilton's Athens facilities and services.

It is always our aim to maintain hospitable and friendly atmosphere for our guets.

Your positive inputs have been communicated with our team members.

Look forward accommodate you again in our property.

Every Where
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I checked into Hilton, in Athens greece +as a gold VIP Hilton Hhonors +I was expecting an upgrade +free wifi, as well as the use of executive floor.
Yet, upon check-in (after an exhausting 18hrs journey to get here) I was given a very short+curt response +told "the system says your Blue, so we can't do anything"
I am only staying here because I thought this would be a nice change of Hotel (I regularly come to greece +stay at another hotel)
I am shocked +disappointed to be treated so rudely by front reception staff +it has left me feeling upset +belittled.
also upon check in I explained to the counter staff that the airport had lost my luggage +because we had been flying for approx 18 hours we needed some wash things so we could freshen up. Yet, we received nothing.... I had to call housekeeping +beg for a toothbrush! Then, when I asked how much is internet+how do I connect, do I need a password? All the front desk kept saying was "your Blue member so you don't get internet"...Incidentally, after calling reception AGAIN they gave me the pass code so I have paid €18 to hv 24hr access to the Internet.
After a frustrating 10 minutes the manager came +was not any more helpful, in fact his rude demure just frustrated me more. He was insistent that because we checked in @ 2 am there was nothing they could do right now +to bring up the matter again tomorrow! I'm sorry, does he think I have control of flight landing times (believe me if I did, I too wouldn't choose to arrive at this time!) Yet, I had paid for the night accordingly so expected service accordingly. Unless, I am not aware Hilton Hotel chain only runs 9 am - 5 pm Mon-Friday?
 I also tried to book a car through them +heard nothing back! When I arrived I had to call the Hotel again to get the car. When I asked why they never responded to the 3 requests I made, they said it was because the requests came after 5 pm Friday and no-one works thereafter till monday morning again........??????

So far, I am despondent + extremely disappointed by the rudeness and lack of empathy the front desk + manager have shown me. In this day + era of many hotels available at competitive prices, especially given the current economic climate in Greece, you would think they would welcome visitors in, not be rude + intolerable, making me upset + looking at alternatives that would happily welcome us!

Room Tip: Check in between Monday - Friday 9am-5pm, thereafter the staff can't be bothered
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank aceexec
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to forward to our attention your comments regarding your stay here at the Hilton Athens in August.

It was a concern to note that your general impression of your visit was not positive. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Your comments have been taken into serious consideration and reviewed with my colleagues. In relation to your HHonors status, the truth is that since the system was showing that your tier status was Blue, our Front Desk colleagues were not in the position to accommodate your request. According to HHonors policy, Executive Lounge access and free internet applies only to HHonors Gold and Diamond members.

Nevertheless, with regards to the generic attitude, behaviour and service provided by our Front Desk team, corrective action will be taken in order in order to avoid similar unfortunate incidents from recurring. Thank you for having brought all these to our attention.

Once again, we feel sorry for the experience you had. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back and prove that we can serve you better.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I had been frequenting this establishment for the past decades on the occasion of various venues, conferences, breakfasts, lunches, dinners, refreshments, etc. Quite a few memories.
Over the past few years, ever since it was refurbished, I had been a regular patron meeting for business purposes due to its convenient location. There has not been a single time that there had been an absence of remarks by my guests regarding the service and the quality of drinks/food at prices that could hardly match the lowest of the expectations for a 'Hilton'! The staff seems that runs in the absence of any management whatsoever and the terms of professionalism and service should sound peculiar to them. A basic seminar is an absolute priority that would apply to the management as well as to the rest of the staff. In essence this hotel falls short to the name it carries, while it should serve as a flagship to promote the traditional greek hospitality and aim to attract clientele of a certain quality. They should, at least, try to keep the cafe areas clean and not having food remains and dirt scattered all around, keep the unsuitable music down so it would make the conversation possible and see that the personnel does not need to shout to each other to overcome the unbelievable noise from the bar blenders and other equipment! Makes me wonder if they make a profit or provide a shelter to a bunch of incompetent personnel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sixpackswolf
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time and forward to our attention your comments, regarding your stay here in Hilton Athens!

We do place a high value on comments received from our guests as we can monitor the level of standards and take corrective actions whenever it is necessary.

We noted with concern all your points and we are very sorry for the dissatisfaction you felt.

Thank you for having brought all these to our attention. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to prove you that this experience was an isolate incident.

Devon. England
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We'd booked an Executive room with views to the Acropolis and were v pleased with first impressions - swift check in, lovely room and bathroom, great views, complementary wine and fruits and birthday cake!

Only issue about the room would be the eratic temperature of the shower, but luckily the cubicle was big enough to be able to jump out of the flow when it suddenly hit scalding (same problem in the pool changing rooms so think its a general issue)

We had access to the Executive floor with complementary drinks and nibbles which we also used for breakfast, mainly as it was just one floor above us. The standard of this facility was entirely dependent on who was staffing it. At times it was excellent in every respect, then again on one occasion at breakfast time there was no coffee, orange, bread or plates - there were though two staff members sat in the reception area chatting.

Pool area was really made by the size of the pool itself which meant even when it was quite busy it didn't feel that way. It was also nice to have a pool with some depth to it.

I think its unfortunate that the premium charged for drinks and extras is as great as it is. A 1.5litre bottle of water from a shop / newsagent is always 1 euro, in a good restaurant in town maybe 2 or 2.5 euros, from the pool bar in the hotel.....7.7 euros. A premium yes, but three times the rate of a decent restaurant???

On a similar theme, 19 euros for a pay to view movie? 18 euros for 24 hours wifi? - Its not things that ruin my holiday by any means but does leave a slightly sour taste in my mouth (and means I didn't pay for them which if replicated by others also means I and Hilton both lose out).

All in all, lovely well designed room, a few service issues and in my opinion excessive premiums. Certainly not the best Hilton I've been at which given its location is a real shame.

Would suggest if considering staying here you check review for Galaxy Bar / Restaurant. In my opinion same as the hotel - v nice with great views but still overpriced.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PGBakes
Dear Sir/Madam,

We would like to thank you for selecting our hotel and giving us your feedback regarding your experience during your stay with us here in Hilton Athens.

It was a pleasure to read that your general impression was positive was positive and that you were satisfied with the most of our facilities.

In the reference you made about the charges and overpricing, please be kindly infored that our prices are in line with the other five stars hotel in Athens.

Look forward of welcoming you back to the Hilton Athens!

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The Hilton Athens is probably one of the best Hiltons in Europe. A big hotel (around 12 floors), yet manages to remain intimate with personal service from all the staff. It combines everything: business, vacationing or just relaxing. Big pool, excellent roof garden bar (The Galaxy) with great cocktails and a spectacular view of the Acropolis. Excellent restaurants, very comfortable and spacious rooms recently stylishly renovated, all with a view which are always spotless. The particularly large bathrooms (separate shower cubicle from bath tab) are especially welcome. Centrally located (10 mins walk to Syntagma Square and fashionable Kolonaki area), yet comfortably away from the town centre noise. Convenient car park below.5 mins walk to nearest underground station with direct link to Elefth.Venizelos Airport.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank CaymanRedGuard
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to forward to our attention your input regarding your stay here in Hilton Athens.

Your kind comments have been discussed with our colleagues which have been much appreciated!

Look forward to welcoming you back and extence once again our warm hospitality again.

Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The Athens Hilton has been around a while but it never ceases to dissapoint. The staff is most accomodating and the facilities are top notch. The pool is probably the largest and deepest hotel pool I've ever encountered in a city hotel. The hotel is conveniently located across from the Evangelismos subway stop. I was here during the taxi strike but it was very easy to get to the hotel from the airport by subway. It's also one stop to Syntagma and two to the Acropolis. If you have Gold status on Hilton, you will be granted access to the Executive Lounge where you will be directed to check-in/out and get first class service. Plus, you will never have to buy breakfast as they serve it for free in the lounge which has a beautiful view of the Acropolis. And they serve snacks/drinks all day there. The Milos restaurant (same as one from NYC) is excellent but pricey (although they had a prix fix meal special while I was there). Freshest fish in the city.
I was upgraded to a business suite which was a huge 2 room configuration with multiple TVs and balconies. They have very good black out curtains to keep the strong Athens sun away which allows you to sleep all morning, especially helpful after a long, jet-lagged flight.
There's nothing like coming back from a day of touring and going straight to the amazing pool and ordering a cocktail poolside. I don't know of another hotel in Athens that can match this environment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your very kind and positive feedback.

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay here at the Hilton Athens and you found all the services rendered of excellent level. Your comments have been communicated to my colleagues and have been much appreciated!

Once again, many thanks for choosing our hotel for your stay. Do look forward to welcoming you back!