“Good Hotel in a nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Athens

Ranked #19 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel in a nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

We choose this hotel after we cancelled our booking at the King George (as they didn't have an outdoor swimming pool). The Hilton is in a nicer location (mostly down to protestors in the square). The hotel is easy to find on foot from the Metro. It's a 10 minute walk from Evangalismo Metro Station and it's so easy to get to from the Airport. It takes longer with luggage and you have to cross a few main roads. Traffic does stop so it's not an issue. We stayed here 6 nights in July.

Do take your booking voucher with you as the daytime reception staff couldn't find our booking on the system. They gave us a room whilst they attempted to contact the company. It was sorted within a couple of days but it was a little disconcerting for us.

The room was large and spacious. The room was always nice and cool. The bathroom was large and clean. If you are a light sleeper then ask for a room on a higher floor. I only noticed the traffic sometimes. The bed was comfortable enough but the pillows left much to be desired and as a result it didn't help my sleep or partners sleep. The rooms were clean and the house keeping lady was really nice and friendly. Our room overlooked the swimming pool area. The swimming pool was large, clean and there were loads of sunbeds.

Breakfast was great as there was so much variety and choice. The restaurant was busy most days we were there. The bread for toasting could have been better. They hotel staff weren't good at making tea. A large pot of water with a single teabag made it very watery and undrinkable. We had to ask for more tea-bags. Since i'm mentioning tea-bags there are no English breakfast teabags in the rooms. Take your own if you like your tea.

The hotel staff evening staff were friendlier than the day staff, especially Dimitri. He gave my partner good recommendations. The ones he mentioned we visited and we really enjoyed the food there.

The Hilton does have two restaurants and a bar but these are not cheap (so don't be surprised by the prices). It's to be expected in the capital of Greece! The Galaxy bar has great views of Athens and it's a must do. The hotel is in a nice area. There's restaurants right behind the hotel itself. Dimitri and Grigoris is a good option if you arrive like us quite late and you're tired and don't wish to search for decent place to eat. There's quite a few restaurants there, on the little square right next to the Caravel Hotel. There is a pharmacy nearby too. Very helpful if like me you were ill during your stay.

We didn't have any problem jumping on the Metro to our various destinations. We found using it really easy. Buy a weekly ticket, what a bargain. The hotel is next to an art gallery (we didn't visit). Down the main street there is the Benaki Museum, Museum of Cycladic Art, and the War plane Museum (forgot the name). Kolonaki is not far and you will find Mt. Lycabettus (Likavitos) at the very top.

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floor if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Chopalina
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind and valuable input.

It was a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay here at the Hilton Athens and were satisfied with most of the facilities and services rendered.

Your comments regarding our reception team members' attitude, specifically during day time, and the problem you had with the tracing of your booking, have been taken into consideration and reviewed with the heads of the appropriate departments. Thank you for having brought this to our attention.

We do look forward to welcoming you back and extend once again the warm and well known hospitality standards that our guests have come to expect from us over the years.

Hilton Athens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

The hotel itself is very nice - large, well-equipped rooms, comfortable bed, marble bathroom, balcony, swimming pool outside, huge breakfast... all that you can possibly need - and in the center of Athens.

However, what always strikes me with any Hilton (not just this one) is how they "dare" to charge 18e extra for internet in a room that is already some 150e a night. In any hostel around the world, the internet is free these days, didn't they notice?

Ah, yes, this is one of the rare moments when you can tell to yourself "gosh, it is good to be middle-class and know the world; those poor millionaires who only sleep in places like this don't even know that they get screwed left and right!" :-)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank the_vj
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your valuable input regarding your recent stay here at the Hilton Athens.

Although your generic impression of your visit was positive, however we noted with concern your points regarding the internet cost. We are very sorry for the dissatisfaction you felt.
Although our prices are in line with what other deluxe hotels in Athens offer, your remarks have been taken into serious consideration. Thank you for having brought these to our attention.

Look forward to welcoming you back!

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights while in Athens. On arrival, we were greeted by the lovely Ioanna at reception, who was bubbly and welcoming. We were given a room overlooking the Acropolis, and what better view to have when in Athens! Amazing. I love hotels with balconies, and it was a real pleasure to sit on that balcony with a cup of coffee and absorb everything.
The room itself was lovely-- fairly spacious and modern. The marble bathroom was a delight, with a lovely deep bath and separate rain shower. Full toiletries provided and housekeeping was thorough. One thing I don't like is that robes (and I think turndown) is only supplied for Club rooms... this is the first Hilton I've stayed at with this policy, but no matter. TV channels have a good selection, including my favourite AlJazeera English for good international news.
It was my birthday during our stay, and I was surprised with a beautiful cheesecake with "Happy Birthday" written on it! Also, the lovely Ioanna sang "happy birthday" to me as we came down for breakfast... I was truly touched that a) she remembered and b) she was so genuine and spontaneous as to sing to me! Reception staff, including Ioanna, gave us wonderful suggestions for restaurants and getting around.
The hotel is well-located, close to the metro station and easily accessible from the airport by the X95 Airport Bus (only 5 Euro per person).
Breakfast was lovely-- a good selection of favourites, plus nice local options like Greek halva, cheeses, etc.
I hoped to have a massage at the spa but the available times didn't suit (I didn't book much in advance-- I would recommend you do this). Of course, prices were not cheap but in line with what one would pay at a 5-star hotel. They have a variety of massage styles. I think the pool was closed during our stay (I don't think it is open all year).
Overall, I was so sad to leave this hotel. Visiting Athens was a travel dream and the Athens Hilton provided a memorable and treasured experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and I hope to revisit one day!

Room Tip: Get an Acropolis view! Amazing!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bimdonesia
Dear Madame,

Thank you for having taken the time to forward to our attention your comments regarding your stay here at the Hilton Athens in April.

We were pleased to note that your experience here was memorable and you were satisfied with all the facilities and services provided such as: your room, the breakfast, the gym facilities and more importantly our team members' polite and professional attitude. Your very kind remarks have been communicated to them, in particular to our Front Desk colleague Ioanna.

In relation to our outdoor swimming pool, this is usually open from beginning of May (sometimes depending on weather conditions even as of April) until end of October.

Thank you for having chosen our hotel for your stay. Look forward to welcoming you back and extend once again the warm Greek hospitality spirit!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Absolutely one of the best hotels I've ever put my head down in! Friendly, helpful and thoroughly enjoyable. Unbelievably convenient for the train to the attractions and bus to/from the airport. The only place to stay in Athens!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TimeTraveler0123_10
Dear Sir or Madame,

Thank you very much for your kind and positive feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Hilton Athens!

It was a pleasure to see that you had a pleasant visit. Your input is much appreciated and has been passed on to our team members.

Look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel and the city of Athens soon!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

I would like to start off by saying, that I stayed at the Athens Hilton between July 21 and 29, for eight nights. The price I paid via a website was an excellent deal, and included the breakfast buffet. I was a bit hesitant after reading some negative reviews here, but I think the people who wrote them are bitter and angry, and probably stayed at another hotel.

The front desk staff was very helpful and attentive, especially the afternoon/evening staff. They answered questions on directions, showed places on maps, called stores for store hours for me, got housekeeping to send someone to fix a plumbing problem in my bathroom sink, and I have nothing but praise for them.

Secondly, the buffet breakfast was FANTASTIC! Yes this is a 5-star hotel, and they offer everything at the buffet, including Soy Milk. As I am allergic to milk, this was a pleasant surprise. As well, they have everything from salads, to fresh cut fruit plates, to chefs making small omelettes, to ready made eats, and even all kinds of cereal, nuts, honey, breads, cheeses, and boiled eggs and waffles! What more does anyone really want in the morning??? They have staff coming around with orange juice and coffee at your table when you sit down, so you don't have to go to the buffet yourself and get the juice...which was a large selection. There is banana juice, peach juice, orange juice, and maybe even another one. I cannot recall at this moment.

Thirdly, the room was clean, and comfortable...the air conditioning was excellent, the windows are double-glazed and one can barely hear the street outside. The TV channels were half and half, international and Greek, and the bathrooms are marble - so just be careful not to slip! They provide Crabtree&Evelyn Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Lotion, Sewing Kits, Shoe Shines, and Shower Caps, which would be refilled everyday if used. As well, on the first day there, I received a complimentay plate of fruit and a 500mL bottle of red wine, and on day 5, I received a plate of some Greek baklava in my room, compliments of the house.

Forthly, included in the price was the outdoor pool as well, which I did not use, but looked amazing, and instead, I opted to pay the 15Euro extra for a day pass at the gym in the Spa of the hotel. It is a great price compared to what I have seen in Greece and even in Canada. It is the going rate for day passes. The gym is equipped with brand new ProCor machines, and a full weight rack, and even a squat Smith bench,. Swissballs, medicine balls, and a leg stretch machine. And the gym overlooks the indoor pool which is encased in glass, and looks very cool actually. But I just wanted to train.

I tried my Greek with the staff ("Kalimera" "Efkharisto" "Parakalo") and they all reacted so nicely and positively for the effort. Unfortunately, being from Canada, we happen to be respectful people, and I noticed at the Hilton and in my own country, that many Americans who frequent these hotels, have an attitude problem, and no people skills. I suspect that is where the bad reviews originated.

Overall, a fantastic experience. Congratulations Athens Hilton! You did a great job and I thank you for a pleasant stay, and look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Room Tip: You can ask for an Acropolis View room when you get there, and if it's available they will give...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank montrealguy34
Dear Sir,

We are in receipt of your very kind comments regarding your stay here at the Hilton Athens in July and we thank you for this.

It was a delight to note that you enjoyed your visit and were satisfied with the hotel's facilities, services as well as the friendly and professional attitude of our team members. This is indeed much appreciated! Your positive and valuable feedback has been forwarded to the attention of my colleagues.

Once again, thank you for having chosen to stay with us here in Athens! Look forward to welcoming you back!

Hillsborough, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on the last days of our honeymoon in Greece. We went to Mykonos, Crete and then to Athens. The Hilton in Athens was a very nice hotel. The interior is very modern and posh. Our room was on the smaller size, but it was very comfortable and clean and had all the amenities you would need. We had a great view of the Acropolis.

The hotel has a very nice spa, outdoor pool, indoor pool, jacuzzi and fitness center. They also have a very good restaurant called Milos (they have a prix fixe menu for lunch for 25 E per person - it may sound expensive, but that's the cheapest you will get at Milos). the food was very good, we ordered room service a number of times. However, it is very expensive! Stay away from the mini bar (pringles = 11.50 E??). Tap water is fine to drink in Athens, so don't open any of the 6 euro bottles. The buffet breakfast was included in our room rate, and I have to say, it was the best buffet breakfast we had while we were in Greece. They had a wide variety of food to choose from, all very good!

Hotel staff was accomodating. Overall, it was a very nice experience and i would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank slhannold
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear Madame,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay here at our hotel, the Hilton Athens, and Congratulations on your wedding!

It was a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your visit and were satisfied with the facilities and services rendered. Your very kind and valuable feedback has been forwarded to the attention of our team members and has been much appreciated.

We do look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the Hilton Athens and extend once again the warm hospitality that our guests have come to expect from us over the years.

Ocean, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

When we arrived at this hotel we were greeted by dozens of police officers. Both our car and our persons were searched upon entry to the hotel. As we were checking in, the prime minister of Greece walked behind us and sat down in a chair just a few feet away. The rest of my experience at the hotel was above average although the building - after the prime minister's visit - was eerily empty. The hotel was central to many of the popular tourist sites and restaurants. Overall, I enjoyed the experience that Hilton Athens provided. If you are looking for a super sized American brand hotel in the heart of Athens, this is the hotel to choose.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Sir,

Thank you for you kind input!

It was a pleasure to note that the general impression of your stay here at the Hilton Athens was positive and you were satisfied with the facilities and services rendered.

Do look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the not too distant future.