“Amazing Hotel, Great Location”

Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 284 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed October 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on our honeymoon and definitely have no complaints about the hotel, its spa, or its location. It is located directly in Syntagma Square which is a great central location (bus #95 goes from the airport to Syntagma Square and back-- trip takes about an hour one way depending on traffic, also the Metro runs from the airport, but is currently under construction again, or you can obviously take a taxi). Athen's parliament building, tomb of the unknown soldier, and changing of the guard takes place right next to the hotel (our room overlooked all of this, as well as Syntagma Square which was very nice, but if you can somhow get one of the few rooms with an Acropolis view I'm sure that is 5x as amazing).

I booked this hotel with points+cash through Starwood and think for what we paid it was obviously an amazing deal. They upgraded us to a view of Syntagma Square (if I was Platinum maybe I would have been luckier and gotten the very coveted Acropolis view). Our room was large, comfortable, and very clean. Our bathroom had an AMAZING shower--especially for Europe-- and a very nice bath tub (the room was marble everything). Wherever you end up in the hotel, make sure you either go up for drinks or dinner or sneak up for a peak of the Acropolis at night from the Rooftop Restaurant and Bar. It was amazing all lit up at night. The rooftop pool was nice, but rather cold. it was relaxing to lay out around, though.

My sister got us a couple's massage for a wedding present at the hotel's spa and we cannot say enough about how amazing the spa was. From the perfectly heated salt water pool/whirlpool to the spa massage showers to the foot baths to the differnent saunas (could have spent all day going from the dry ones to the herbal ones, etc). We got to do all of these things together and just had a completely relaxing time before our massage. My husband who didn't think he was a "spa" person has now completely changed his mind and can't wait to find another one (although I think he'll be disappointed after how great this one was).

Don't plan to go out to eat in Syntagma Square (unless maybe you're eating in the hotel's restaurant). The few restaurants there are are quite a dissapointment. There is much better food if you take a short walk (or metro ride). (While in Athens, make sure to try their souvlaki, kebobs, feta, and baklava among other things!) In general when eating in Athens, try to avoid the places that look too touristy or you will definitely be disappointed with the food. Venture a little bit off the beaten path.

My husband and I found the city surprisingly walkable (especially from our hotel). We really didn't take any taxis or busses around the city the entire time we were there (but be prepared for some larger hills, especially around the Acropolis). We did the "Athens Walking Tour" for 3 hrs through viator.com which I definitely think was worth it (goes through the city and then up on the Acropolis, etc-- the cost of the tour does not include your admission), but we wish that the tour had spent a little longer on the Acropolis itself. That being said, we found it very helpful in understand everything around is, and it conveniently met right in the Syntagma metro station.

1  Thank meghan429
Write a ReviewReviews (3,538)

Reviewed October 3, 2009

This hotel is in a great location. Walking distance to all the sites and the Plaka. Nice pool area. Not a modern hotel, more ornate. Great restaurant for cocktails with view of Acropolis - we did not eat dinner there but did have a few drinks. A really nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Stayed one night here in September. Usually stay in another hotel out of Athens as a work trip but as I wanted to see something of the city (a rarity on business trips) so I plumped for the hotel in the centre. Visti started off well with an upgrade to a deluxe room on the butler floor. A complimentary glass of champagne set the tone and the butler organised a reasonably priced City Tour. Room decor was wonderful and the terrace overlooking the City was pretty special too. (In most hotels I get the view of the airconditioning unit). The bar/restaurant overlooking the Acropolis makes this place pretty different too. Unfortunately, whilst it was a nice place to spend a hour or so at the bar they didn't tell me that the couldn't get me a reservation until I had consumed a couple of gins....so not ideal. However, that was one hiccup in what was an excellent stay! I hop to return soon!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Knightsbridgetripper
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Grande Bretagne. The hotel was very organized about advance requests for a tour guide, restaurant reservations, transfers, etc. The location was quite central w/ easy access to key sites. Acropolis was within walking distance or one metro stop away. Plaka and designer shopping areas were near hotel. Would stay again.

1  Thank Kate3
Reviewed September 25, 2009

We stayed 3 nights in September and had booked in as the price suggested it would be the best hotel in Athens.
On arrival at the hotel, no one helped us with our luggage which was a very poor start.

Being use to asian standards the overall experience was disappointing. The price we got was probably double what you d pay for a JW or Ritz in Asia, and the service and amenities were far away from the standard you d find there.
The room was nice but the bathroom was already falling to pieces in some places (not talking about the terrace which was obviously never cleaned). The breakfast was nice but the choice wasn't enormous. The rooftop pool didn't look like anything on photos. The pool itself was very small (don't think that 10 people would fit in..) and the area around was very small and there was no view at all. (The Mariott's pool area is much bigger and has nice view of Athens and Acropolis). The view though from the restaurant was very nice, but would have liked a similar view from the room, whereas we only had a view of Syntagma square.

We later stayed at the Intercontinental. Even though it s a little farther away (although 5mins by cab), and found the service was incredibly better, and the room was much more spacess and clean, and the whole thing for a 3rd of the GB price.

I don't think I d stay at the Grande Bretagne again unless changes are made. You ll wonder all the time what justified the price of the room.

12  Thank MarathonHK
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I travel every year to Athens. I make it my mission to spoil myself with the finer things in life. I love this hotel. Everything from the staff to the esthetics are absolutely hands down the best.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank KimberlyBoston
Reviewed September 25, 2009

An excellent hotel with exquisite rooftop views of the Acropolis! Staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. The location is also great - close walking distance to almost all of the Athens sites. Rooms are very spacious, posh and clean. Beds are extremely comfortable and not the usual harder Grecian mattresses found in most travel spots. Both the downstairs and upstairs bars are worth viewing. If you don't stay here, you must stop by the bar for at least a drink!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends