Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We ended a cruise with two nights in Athens and this was the hotel. Our guide book told us that it was number one in the city and just the place to stay if someone else was paying. Couldn’t argue with this assessment – it oozed luxury and quality (even the toilet paper was the best!). Of course this comes at a high cost but we ate and drank elsewhere other than the breakfasts, which were on the 8th floor with great views of the Acropolis and Parthenon nearby. The concierge desk dealt with several queries well. If someone else will pay (or money is no object), you could not do better.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank John L
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing your comments after the recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. So nice that you had a pleasant and enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back on a future visit to Athens.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We arrived early - 11am and were promptly given a very nice room. The check in desk could not have been nicer. The room was very large (even by American standards) and very elegant. Well stocked bathroom; very comfortable bed and great amenities. The concierge helped us with our plans and made a good recommendations. All in all a very good stay.

1  Thank nycfam123

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback after recently staying at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. It was great to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy the famous Luxury Collection bed, and that our associates offered the utmost service. We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Athens.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed two nights last week, it's the best hotel I've stayed in in the SPG Luxury Collection. This is a true palace hotel with grand lobby, old world charm, fabulous decor in room and really really comfortable bed. We have stayed in similar class hotels in SPG in NYC, LA but this really surpassed all of our expectations. The staff was really attentive, great facilities and good food in the roof top restaurant with a beautiful view of acropolis. Location is awesome at Syntagma square, walking distance to major sightseeing places - acropolis, plaka, parliament, national archaeological museum.

We also love the fact the hotel is so kind to a stray dog called Sweetie (English translation of his Greek name). They kind of adopted the dog and gives him food and water and lets him sleep just outside of the hotel. Everyone who works in the hotel knows the dog. Even though I wish Greek shelters would spay or neuter stray animals since there seems to be many dogs and cats on streets, it's nice to know at least they are being treated kindly.

Room Tip: Lower floor facing Syntagma square can be really noisy on balcony. No noise in room as long as wind...
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We'd stayed here last year and had a wonderful time. This year was very disappointing. Beautiful hotel but we were given the room right next to the lift on the 3rd floor for our 4 night stay despite having booked well in advance. It was really noisy. I had to tell people gathered outside the lift for a loud conversation to shut up at 1am in the morning. I would have thought we could have been given a quieter room. Service was hit and miss too with complimentary bottled water given only on 2 days. Bedspreads had stains on them. Annoying being disturbed at 8.30am by housekeeping too. Wifi should be free in rooms. It's the only hotel we've stayed at where they charge. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Anne-Maree S

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. Your comments pinpointed areas that need improvement and we will certainly take them into consideration. These have already been discussed with the Front Office Manager and the Executive Housekeeper in order to ensure they don’t reoccur. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. In regards to Wi-Fi, we are delighted to inform you that this is offered complimentary in all our F&B outlets, public hotel areas and the business center, as is common practice in most hotels. We hope to be given the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and show you that we can serve you better.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Rooms are on the small side. That's the only negative thing I can say. As for the rest, absolutely amazing. We were upgraded to a junior suite with a courtyard view but we opted for a deluxe room with a view of the Acropolis and Parliament. But ipon entering, the room looked very small (but very nice). We decided to pay extra for a bigger room with the same view but with a much bigger balcony. Worth it (although a free upgrade would have been better)! We were on the executive floor with butler service. It rained on our first night so we couldn't eat dinner in our balcony. But our butler arranged a sumptuous after-dinner drinks and dessert in the balcony after our dinner at the rooftop restaurant. Too much food but the view was amazing. Durin the day, you can watch the changing of the guard from the balcony. The room was classically decorated - very clean and luxurious.The rooftop restaurant had amazing (lots of healthy options) breakfasts (one of the best I've seen around the world). Dinner there was equally exceptional. Have high tea at the Winter Restaurant in the lobby. The snacks are delicious (although there is no view so I felt a bit claustrophobic). Concierge was very efficient. Recommended some very good restaurants. I had to change my flights and concierge went up to me to the restaurant to explain my options. It was better than dealing with a travel agency! The spa was very good. I had the best facial ever! My massage was not bad either. We cannot stay at any other hotel in Athens. perfect location. We walked everywhere -the Acropolis, to Plaka, to the high-end shopping area behind the hotel and even to the National Archeological Museum.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony facing the square with a view of Parliament and the Acropolis. You can watch t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RKRJ91
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Amazing hotel, great rooms, great service, with amazing views of the coliseum as well as acropolis from the rooftop. I strongly recommend the hotel. We spent our afternoons on the rooftop enjoying a cocktail before exploring Athens.

Room Tip: Try and face the acropolis and get a room as high as possible. We faced the garden so the view was w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hausenpepper
Reviewed April 20, 2014

First off, I was wow when I stepped into this hotel, especially getting picked up from the airport, we drove by so many buildings and there is nothing like this hotel in Athens.

The staff was very nice and helpful, very perfect and on the dot. Whatever you asked for, they address to your needs and really go miles to take care of them (because we made some requests and they surely did not forget).

When I stepped into the room, it is so frenchy/ british and I am so surprised to see this kind of setting in a place like this, it really blown me away.

One thing that I MUST say is that, the sheet and bed is SO SO SO comfortable. I have dedicate skin (yes call me a diva) and I can tell within a minute if my sleep is going to be good, and this hotel got their bed and sheets done right. The sheets are so clean and smooth and the bed was so comfortable. I literally melt on the bed. Thank you for such a great sleep.

We got a suite facing the parliament and looking at it from day and night is so different.

They also recommend to dine at the restaurant in the hotel next door not to miss the view of the ruin. I appreciate it very much as our stay was so short, nothing really should be missed.

OH before I forget, I figure out there is steam inside the bathroom. My husband and I got to enjoy the steam function and it was the very WOW, I thank you the designer to fit a steam function into the bathroom and the steam was such a wake-up for me in the morning.

Thank you everyone for making this place perfect - and please keep it up!!

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. We were delighted that you had such a pleasant time with us. How nice that you enjoyed the Luxury Collection trademark bed, known for the fantastic sleep it offers. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.