“Old world elegance”

Ranked #4 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Singapore, Singapore
“Old world elegance”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a world class hotel with the understated elegance that is hard to find in todays world. The staff at the front desk as well as the concierge is exemplary. Nothing was too much trouble and all changes were made with a warm smile. Their recommendations for restaurants were spot on. And the tour guides and drivers arranged by them were also very satisfactory. Breakfast spread was amazing. But all this pales in comparison to the spectacular view and the central location of this hotel. We stayed for four nights in early April and will be returning in the near future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TCS212NY
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing you feedback after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. We are very happy to have received such positive remarks and look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Athens.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Arrived to be greeted by name by friendly and approachable team at reception

Suite on fourth floor was nothing short of magnificent with small balcony and view over syntagma and the acropolis

Spa is among best ive found in any world class hotel

Roof bar was perfect venue with friends for a late one

Another perfect stay

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank lighthouse3132
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Grande Bretagne is the epitome of luxury. Our room, even though it did not have a view of the Acropolis, was a wonderful place to spend our off-time in Athens. It is within walking distance of several of the must-see attractions in the city and everything one would expect of a first-rate hotel. The room was impeccably well appointed with comfortable furnishings and bed. The bath was large and well appointed. The Roof Garden restaurant with its wall of windows and view of the Acropolis is stunning, especially at night. Service is top notch, from the reception desk to the concierge to the housekeeping staff. All of this, however, comes at a price. Our stay at the Grande Bretagne was a wonderful gift to ourselves.

Room Tip: A room on an upper floor provides a view of the Acropolis.
1 Thank Wendell R
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing you feedback after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. It was a pleasure reading your wonderful comments and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
tel-aviv
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights at the end of march. We had a nice average size room on the sixth floor facing the parliament. We didn't have a view of the Acropolis but could enjoy the ceremoney of changing of the guards at the entrance of the parliament which was nice & exceptional. The elegance of the hotel is reflected everywhere, in the room, bathroom, lobby bar etc. I can comment only on our room, too many useless pillows in the room & closet so the place for our belongings was restricted & no place for shoes so we kept them under the desk which was not so elegant. The bathroom is of good size & well equipped. excellent service carried out by a wonderful staff. Breakfast is served at the roofgarden restaurant with a stunning view of the Acropolis. Centrally located , walking distance to main attractions,shopping & restaurants. We had great time -higly recommended

Room Tip: Room facing the Acropolis or parliament
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tel_avivBillie
Chania Town, Greece
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights last week and had a very comfortable stay. Initially our welcome at reception was slightly off putting as it wasn't particularly friendly, but this wasn't consistent with the remainder of the reception staff we encountered throughout our stay. Our room was pleasant, well maintained and we had no complaints on that front. The GB Roof Garden Restaurant was delightful in atmosphere and vista with fantastic views toward the acropolis. The food choices were good but I wouldn't say that they matched the 'luxury' status of the hotel. I also found it difficult to see so many waiters/waitresses scurrying around and getting annoyed with each other! Breakfast choices were great with lovely fresh pastries and fruit. Again my big difficulty was being placed on a table surrounded by a significant number of business people holding meetings over breakfast and constantly using their phones (this was the same in the Winter Garden Cafe)...as a person visiting the hotel for leisure purposes this really didn't make me relax and transport me away from work! A difficult balance for the hotel to strike though, so I do appreciate that they have to cater for every market and please everyone. Maybe it was just a very busy corporate week. The Alexander Bar was very special and we must mention Stefanos who was warm, welcoming and attentive. The concierge service was also second to none.
Overall, we had a very lovely stay and will definately return and recommend but will bear in mind the business element that goes hand in hand with the location and the reputation of the hotel.

1 Thank Helen635
Htl_Grande_Bretagne, Manager at Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments after your recent stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. We were happy to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. However, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused at your initial contact. This is certainly not the kind of service me aim to offer our valued guests and we will discuss this matter with our Front Office Manager in order to take remedial action where necessary. We hope to be able to welcome you back on a future visit to Athens.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here in February. I am SPG Platinum and was upgraded to a suite with a huge balcony but not much of a view. There was a lovely amenity of olives, breadsticks and Ouzo when I checked in. Everything was comfortable in the room - no complaints.
There is more than one elevator bank and I got lost by going on the wrong elevator once and a staff person rescued me by not just pointing the way to the lobby but taking me all the way there.
It is walking distance to the Acropolis as everyone kept saying but I wanted to save my energy for the walk up to the Parthenon so I took a cab. The cab driver I got outside the hotel, Dominic, was one of two awesome drivers I got on this trip. He showed me where to walk down from the Acropolis and told me as much about Athens as the brief ride allowed. When I got out and paid him he still had things to tell me so he had me get back in the cab and drove around the circle (no charge) just to give me more information. He was very proud of his city!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a beautiful old hotel which has been recently and sympathetically refurbished. We had a room facing Syntagma Square, with a view of the Acropolis, so we could sit and watch the sunset over the Parthenon, but if those rooms aren't available the rooftop restaurant is equally perfect for this view. The rooms aren't huge, but they are very well designed and make good use of the space, so there is somewhere to put everything, which is more than I can say for some of the bigger hotel rooms that I have been in. Excellent service, perfect location - so all good - highly recommended!

Room Tip: The rooms on the seventh floor facing Syntagma have the view, and although the Square can be noisy d...
1 Thank SpencerTed