“Disappointing...MANY rooms closed off”

National Archaeological Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$60.65*
and up
Private Walking Tour: National Archaeological...
Ranked #20 of 344 things to do in Athens
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I'd still recommend it because there are lots of interesting items to see here. However, the most famous ones, the sculptures, were closed for some reason. Looking at the map of the museum at the entrance, it seemed to be the bulk of the museum. No idea why they were closed off. I asked one employee and all she said was "It's closed exhibition". Whatever...

No Calf Bearer, Kouros, Kore, etc....

Also, the gift shop was closed.
The museum was free that day (for some reason) but still, overall, a disappointing experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,477)
All reviews
in 192 reviews
"greece"
in 706 reviews

Reviewed November 10, 2010

This musuem is a rare treat for history lovers and is a great place to develop an understanding of the foundations of the western world.

The layout of the museum can be a little confusing but once you pay more attention to the map provided by the museum you should be ok. To see the museum in its entirety and to give it the attention it deserves, you need to spend a whole day there, taking coffee and a lunch break. If however, you are pressed for time, I suggest you visit in the afternoon, right after lunch like I did and spend a few hours there.

2  Thank Andalusianeyes
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Go on the first Sunday of the month - It's free! I spent 3 hours in this Museum and found the quantity and variety of exhibits very good. I was disappointed by the small amount of exhibits from Santorini (Where are all the finds from Ancient Thira?) and I find it rather ironic that they have an Egyptian Room after they go on so much about how everyone stole their Greek Antiquities.

2  Thank Nomadic_Explorer
Reviewed October 2, 2010

My daughter chose this museum to visit for her 7th birthday and as we'd visited the Acropolis Museum a couple of months ago, our expectations were high.
The building itself is very impressive and the exhibits are many and varied, however the descriptions on the cases are confusing and badly laid out.
The staff in the rooms seem to be rather too full of their own self importance and indeed one of them told my husband to delete a picture he had taken of our daughter beside one of the exhibits as she was posing like the statue. He told my husband she could have her picture taken with it if she stood with her arms by her side! As it was her idea to come to the museum in the first place she wasn't impressed.
In comparison to the Acropolis Museum it's a big let down and just doesn't feel as welcoming.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 4, 2010

This is an excellent museum, and well-priced at 7 euros! It is quite large, so I recommend using a guide that lists highlights. I used Rick Steves' Athens guidebook, which includes a self-guided tour of the museum - this greatly helped me avoid getting museum'ed out!

I had lunch at the museum's restaurant (just inside the front gates of the complex, not part of the museum building). Fast and friendly service, and fantastic food! I had the Special Salad (yes, that's what it's called on the menu). It has grilled vegetables over greens - highly recommended!

2  Thank Cleolina