“Great exhibits but basically a let down”

National Archaeological Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$60.65*
and up
Private Walking Tour: National Archaeological...
Ranked #20 of 344 things to do in Athens
Reviewed October 2, 2010

My daughter chose this museum to visit for her 7th birthday and as we'd visited the Acropolis Museum a couple of months ago, our expectations were high.
The building itself is very impressive and the exhibits are many and varied, however the descriptions on the cases are confusing and badly laid out.
The staff in the rooms seem to be rather too full of their own self importance and indeed one of them told my husband to delete a picture he had taken of our daughter beside one of the exhibits as she was posing like the statue. He told my husband she could have her picture taken with it if she stood with her arms by her side! As it was her idea to come to the museum in the first place she wasn't impressed.
In comparison to the Acropolis Museum it's a big let down and just doesn't feel as welcoming.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,477)
All reviews
in 192 reviews
"greece"
in 706 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2010

This is an excellent museum, and well-priced at 7 euros! It is quite large, so I recommend using a guide that lists highlights. I used Rick Steves' Athens guidebook, which includes a self-guided tour of the museum - this greatly helped me avoid getting museum'ed out!

I had lunch at the museum's restaurant (just inside the front gates of the complex, not part of the museum building). Fast and friendly service, and fantastic food! I had the Special Salad (yes, that's what it's called on the menu). It has grilled vegetables over greens - highly recommended!

2  Thank Cleolina
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The museum was great, but I was honestly expecting a little bit more. I expected to see the best collection of ancient Greek items anywhere, and I honestly saw a better collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, NY. I would recommend this museum for sure, though I would go back to the New Acropolis Museum before going back to this museum. Don't miss it if you're in Athens for a few days though.

1  Thank USCTrojansFan23
Reviewed August 21, 2010

This is a most interesting museum for anyone with any interest in classical Greece. It is really worth taking the time to get there.

2  Thank Matac54
See more reviews
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We are museum lovers up to a point, but only expected to be here 2-3 hours. After 5 hours we finally had to give up! We went through all, and you can skip the parts you aren't interested in. What we liked was that it was arranged largely in chronological order, so you can see the development of sculpture thru time. Photos are allowed also! There are many side rooms, so if you have an interest in any of the other areas of the museum, make sure to get their map. The main halls and the bronzes were especially wonderful.

1  Thank Frankv42