“first place to see”

$43.62*
Athens Private Small Group Full Day
Ranked #7 of 329 things to do in Athens
Reviewed October 5, 2013

good museum, lots of treasures to see, good information boards, spacious, staff didn't speak much probably because we didn't speak Greek! Good experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,991)

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I knew there were a few pieces I really wanted to see in this museum, but I was unprepared for the wealth of material found there. Everywhere I turned were superb pieces beautifully displayed. Please leave enough time to fully explore, at least an hour and a half without a break.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This Museum is free the first Sunday of the month. It will take you through centuries of civilizations. Everyone wanted to conquer Greece. The exhibits are gorgeous-you need time to walk thru the whole building.

1  Thank Claudia37209
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had already visited the Acropolis Museum but I thought this museum was streets ahead. The collection of sculptures from all over Greece is magnificent, and I found the temporary exhibition, the Antikythera Shipwreck, absolutely fascinating. To get to the museum, I took the metro to Victoria station from which it is a comfortable 5-7 minute walk.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I hadn't planned to go here, not interested in archaeology, and was brought by chance. it's really, really interesting! The collection is very large, very clearly labelled (in English too), full of beautiful and very interesting stuff. Each time my legs gave way under all the standing and corridors, a seat appeared. Nice cafe too. Don't miss the Antikytheros mechanism, a scientific instrument found in a shipwreck. Also a wonderful statue of a boy jockey.
It was worth every cent of the 7 Euro entrance fee, and I stayed for hours.