“How could you not go?”

Athens Private 5 hours Walking Tour
Ranked #3 of 321 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The majestic ruins of an ancient Greek building, known for its dignified white marble columns and perfect sense of proportion.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is hands down the most impressive site to see in Athens. It is a lot of walking and even in October was hot, but awesome to be in the presence of this great site. UNFORTUNATELY scaffolding is all around it, so you will need to look beyond it. Not many services on top, but does have WC.
My friend and I listened to an Rick Steves tour that we downloaded from his website through an app. It helped make the site even more interesting.

There are newer reviews for Parthenon

Reviewed October 12, 2012

It is a steep climb but well worth it. There is a bathroom but no other services on top, so come supplied with water and a hat as it can be brutally hot up there and there is no shade.

1  Thank Palmtree2000
Reviewed October 12, 2012

It's the Parthenon.... what do you think it's like? Its old, it's huge, it's specatular. The dog up there acting like it's his dog house was a cute touch lol.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have to admit I am that rare person that was somewhat disappointed by the parthenon. I had read so often the wonders of the site. That is not to say that it is absolutely wonderful BUT... The crowds definitely reduced the experience. I live in a large city so it is strange to admit that I felt quite clausterphobic in the crowds. I could not move at my own pace because of the hoards of tour groups everywhere. There were times that I wanted to pause and really look at things but knew if I did I would be in the way of the thousands of people behind me. There is a reason why I travel with small groups or alone than with a tour group I enjoy moving at my speed. There were times when I wanted to keep moving and there were a ton of people in front of me taking pictures and blocking the stairs or were too physically weak to not pause. I am glad that I went and saw this. I am glad that it was thrifty (since it was a part of the 4 day combo ticket). I wish they did something similar to the crowd control of the Allhambra where there are specific times you can buy tickets for to go in so as to leave a good amount of space for you to not be trampled upon. This is worthwhile to go to for all of the obvious reasons -beauty, history, the views of the city, its on everyone's bucket list, etc, etc. I would recomend the end of the day for the smaller crowds (my hostel was close to this so I was able to see afterward that the evening is and would have been a better time to go than first thing in the morning). I am a morning person though and I need to get moving because as the day goes on my energy levels and motivation do wane. I should have gone to the museum first and the acropolis area later in the day.

1  Thank 369Wanderer
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The views are fantastic from all directions, to the sea, city of Athina, and the Plaka area too. The Parthenon itself was very nice,but you need good walking shoes, no tongs, sandals, etc. Your feet will appreciate this. This goes for most sites in the Athens area, ie: Delphi too.