“Perry1959”

Ranked #13 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Perry1959”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

A jewel in the crown of Athens. Just returned from a short stay at hotel plaka.booked the hotel after reading trip adviser reviews and they are true and precise ,by far the best hotel in Athens .i have traveled to many places in greece over the years and can say this is the best hotel I have stayed at not just for price but for facility'sand standard of care for there guests which make a big difference to where you book.nice bedrooms fantastic bathroom and breakfast that you will not find in most hotels ,nice coffee good selection of breads cereals scramble eggs and becon plus fresh Greek salad for breakfast which I have never had before but was a nice touch . Also we arrived on a bank holiday so a lot of the sites were closed but the hote l rang round to find out which of them were open on the day so as not to disappoint .also it was our wedding aniversery so they put some baklava in our room when we returned from a day out .lasty greece is having a bad time as is most of Europe so if you want to stay in athens for a short stay ,hotel plaka is the place .and thank you eve for recomendering a great restaurant for our w edding aniversery.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank perry1959
Dorina S, General Manager at Plaka Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you personally for your kind recommendation to others and for sharing your lovely feedback following your stay with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the location and the experience of the Acropolis view, as well as the breakfast, the cleanliness and most importantly the friendliness of our staff.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rutherford
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed at the Plaka Hotel for two nights, the hotel is reasonably well located, there was a market nearby that was lovely & quaint as all greek markets seem to be. The hotel had a restaurant attached & they served typical European fare for breakfast, I did not dine there for dinner, this hotel is considered to be one of the better hotels in Greece, however, their standards are different to ours, the view to the Acropolis from the roof of the hotel was great, I sat there one night with a wine & just soaked up the night air. Overall a nice hotel, slept well & no problems with staff, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: When booking a room ask for a room from Level 2 upwards, my room was one the first floor & had a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DJ2459
Dear Guest,
I am glad that you were satisfied with the service you received from our staff, and the location of the hotel as well as with our breakfast. We hope to see you again and get a better score.
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We very much enjoyed our comfortable stay at the Plaka Hotel. Our room was on the 6th floor with handy access to the spectacular rooftop terrace. The room was clean and comfortable, and we enjoyed the complimentary little bottle of wine on our arrival. Breakfast was terrific -- lots of options for those who like continental, American, sweet, savory, etc. One nice feature was Eva, a customer service person who checked in with us at breakfast every day. Eva is fluent in about 5 languages and extraordinarily helpful. She gave concrete, useful advice and responded to all sorts of questions -- about the hotel, about the optimal plan for the day -- in a very helpful, friendly, and professional manner. The hotel is extremely close to the Monastiraki metro station, from which one can take the metro all the way to the airport. From the hotel, we happily walked everywhere -- the Acropolis, the Plaka, the Agora, the Benaki Museum, the Archaelogical Museum, the gardens, the Temple of the Olympian Zeus. You could not be better situated to enjoy the highlights of Athens. My ONLY complaint about the hotel is that Wifi seems a bit sporadic. It may have been our room, but we definitely had connectivity issues. My husband could get on with his computer, but I could not simultaneously get on with my ipad. Our best connection was in the hall outside our room. When I told Eva about this, she offered a room change, which we did not pursue. So the mechanism for resolving this was in our hands. But all in all, I would happily stay at the Plaka Hotel again and would certainly recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: We didn't have an Acropolis view, but we were on the 6th floor with super-easy access to the roo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We are very happy to know that your stay at the hotel was positive experience. In our attempt to improve we surely value all the feedback we can get from our guests. We check and try to improve the Wi-Fi mentioned problem. Thank you again.
Best regards.
Tbilisi
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I am just back from Plaka hotel. Before my trip I have read a lot of different comments. Different people and different culture cause different perception. That's normal. It was a combination of business and private trip. I was at training and before Plaka stayed at Athnes Ledra Mariott. I this particular case, I preferred to stay at 3star hotel rather then at hotel which positions itself as 5star , but provides 3+ star service.
In general, majority of hotels in the city centre aren't big. Hence rooms can't be huge, the same for bathroom. But I have experience of staying in a realy tiny room in another country. So my double superior room was quite enough for one person. The same with bathroom.I can find thousand small details and list them here.But why? Do our appartments are 100% perfect? The only problem that hotel has to solve is sound-proofing.I completely agree with one of the reviewer that in bathroom I could hear everything from the neighbour's bathroom. Likely neighbours were quiet in general ,that's why I couldn't hear voices in the room, unlike bathroom. Now about breakfast. Again, don't forget this is a 3 start hotel,so not big variety but really enough. What do we usualy eat at breakfast. Majority has couple of sandwiches, eggs ,coffee. Right ? Here was cheese, different ham , olives , greek yogurt ( I love it) , eggs boiled and scrambled, some small pies with cheese, apple and orange. Should I continue? I think this is enough for good breakfast. What was also nice that they try to take care of their customers. Again I compare with Mariott. At Mariott they put bottle of water in the room on the table ( not fridge, I underline this fact ) ,but "forgot " to say that this is for extra money.So I had to pay 4 eur per botllle of water !!!. At Plaka hotel I found tray in my room with Greek sweets , water , small bottle of wine and card from the hotel wishing me a good stay. Now imagine my reaction. Mariott anoyed me and at Plaka I felt comfortable. Also forgot to mention that they are ready to serve you with cold snack even at late evening and early morning ,because some people leave too early. I think ,this is enough to give them a good rate. If I ever go back to Athens I will try to stay at Plaka or at least it's sister hotel Hermes.

Room Tip: Always try to ask what do you want before trip. I asked for room with balcony and I got it. But spea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank niki_0304
Dear Guest,
It is very flaterring to be compared positively with a 5star hotel. Thank you for all your kind and understanding comments. Your appreciating comments encourage us to increase our efforts in offering the outmost to our valuable guests.
We look very forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Rome, Italy
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for 3 night in March, and everything was unforgettable. We booked a standard room, but the hotel assigned to us a beautiful room with the view on the Acropolis, spacious and clean, with a little bottle of wine waiting for us! The bed was confortable, the bathroom ok with a large and perfect shower. We liked very much breakfast buffet, with everything sweet, salted and a nice greek corner (please, don't forget to try yoghurt+honey!!!). The staff is very kind and accurate: every day you can find in the lift and on every floor alert about strikes and informations about Athens and surroundings. Eva, the PR, at breakfast time help you with every kind of informations, and Michael, at the reception, is very very polite. The location is absolutely perfect, in 5 minutes you can reach the Metro Monastiraki (direct to/from the Airport), or Metro Syntagma; with a little walk you are on the Acropolis, bus stop to Capo Sounion in 2 minutes, and then shops, restaurants, cafès...
Honorable mention for the terrace on the roof.
It was the best accomodation you can find in Athens, and here the staff will cuddle you!!! When we will come in Athens, we surely stay at Plaka hotel again, and will recommend it to everybody!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We're delighted to read your comments and thank you for sharing your positive experience on Trip Advisor. Comments such as these are a tremendous motivation for us all to continue offering the standards of service to our guests. Thank you for your high score.
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Book early. There is a reason they are FULL even in March.
The plus: great location for a tourist. The staff all speak English. They are helpful and efficient. The roof top view is outstanding.
The breakfast was very good with a variety of selections. I also found the area a great place to read my book, have a cookie and hot tea!
No problems with the elevator. No problems with wifi in our room or at the common area computer on 2nd floor.
Minor issue: Like most European hotel rooms just a tad small. Since I did not spend a lot of time in the room , this is a minor issue.
The room is nicely decorated. Storage cabinet for your clothes. Plenty of hot water. Good lighting. I never turned on the tv.
Our room had a balcony. The sliding door was sound proof ! The balcony is not for sitting.

Would I rebook this room should I return to athens! Yes

Ps... The desk clerk that works until 11pm and is a scorpio! You were wonderful and fun! Thanks for that personal touch.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit to Athens. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to know that our high standards of service and facilities enabled you to have an enjoyable and memorable stay. Thank you for your high score
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We traveled in March.

The hotel is very close to everything you want to see and most of the shopping in Athens. Nice breakfast bar and most of the staff was amicable.

We had no view and the side of the room we were on was extremely loud with pedestrian and vehicle traffic.Walls are quite thin, could hear all of our neighbors.

Roof top bar open for drinks from April although open for sitting not very well maintained.

Free cookies and coffee throughout the day was a nice touch and pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: If you have a choice one with a view would be nice but there is likely no way to escape outside or h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank My-own-little-world
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Athens.
We are glad you liked the very central location, our amicable staff and our breakfast.
The time you stayed with us was Carnival time, this is why you had some street noise. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. Hope to see you again.