“3star hotel with 5 star service”
Review of Plaka Hotel

Plaka Hotel
Ranked #12 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I am just back from Plaka hotel. Before my trip I have read a lot of different comments. Different people and different culture cause different perception. That's normal. It was a combination of business and private trip. I was at training and before Plaka stayed at Athnes Ledra Mariott. I this particular case, I preferred to stay at 3star hotel rather then at hotel which positions itself as 5star , but provides 3+ star service.
In general, majority of hotels in the city centre aren't big. Hence rooms can't be huge, the same for bathroom. But I have experience of staying in a realy tiny room in another country. So my double superior room was quite enough for one person. The same with bathroom.I can find thousand small details and list them here.But why? Do our appartments are 100% perfect? The only problem that hotel has to solve is sound-proofing.I completely agree with one of the reviewer that in bathroom I could hear everything from the neighbour's bathroom. Likely neighbours were quiet in general ,that's why I couldn't hear voices in the room, unlike bathroom. Now about breakfast. Again, don't forget this is a 3 start hotel,so not big variety but really enough. What do we usualy eat at breakfast. Majority has couple of sandwiches, eggs ,coffee. Right ? Here was cheese, different ham , olives , greek yogurt ( I love it) , eggs boiled and scrambled, some small pies with cheese, apple and orange. Should I continue? I think this is enough for good breakfast. What was also nice that they try to take care of their customers. Again I compare with Mariott. At Mariott they put bottle of water in the room on the table ( not fridge, I underline this fact ) ,but "forgot " to say that this is for extra money.So I had to pay 4 eur per botllle of water !!!. At Plaka hotel I found tray in my room with Greek sweets , water , small bottle of wine and card from the hotel wishing me a good stay. Now imagine my reaction. Mariott anoyed me and at Plaka I felt comfortable. Also forgot to mention that they are ready to serve you with cold snack even at late evening and early morning ,because some people leave too early. I think ,this is enough to give them a good rate. If I ever go back to Athens I will try to stay at Plaka or at least it's sister hotel Hermes.

Room Tip: Always try to ask what do you want before trip. I asked for room with balcony and I got it. But spea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank niki_0304
Dorina S, General Manager at Plaka Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
It is very flaterring to be compared positively with a 5star hotel. Thank you for all your kind and understanding comments. Your appreciating comments encourage us to increase our efforts in offering the outmost to our valuable guests.
We look very forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for 3 night in March, and everything was unforgettable. We booked a standard room, but the hotel assigned to us a beautiful room with the view on the Acropolis, spacious and clean, with a little bottle of wine waiting for us! The bed was confortable, the bathroom ok with a large and perfect shower. We liked very much breakfast buffet, with everything sweet, salted and a nice greek corner (please, don't forget to try yoghurt+honey!!!). The staff is very kind and accurate: every day you can find in the lift and on every floor alert about strikes and informations about Athens and surroundings. Eva, the PR, at breakfast time help you with every kind of informations, and Michael, at the reception, is very very polite. The location is absolutely perfect, in 5 minutes you can reach the Metro Monastiraki (direct to/from the Airport), or Metro Syntagma; with a little walk you are on the Acropolis, bus stop to Capo Sounion in 2 minutes, and then shops, restaurants, cafès...
Honorable mention for the terrace on the roof.
It was the best accomodation you can find in Athens, and here the staff will cuddle you!!! When we will come in Athens, we surely stay at Plaka hotel again, and will recommend it to everybody!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
We're delighted to read your comments and thank you for sharing your positive experience on Trip Advisor. Comments such as these are a tremendous motivation for us all to continue offering the standards of service to our guests. Thank you for your high score.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Book early. There is a reason they are FULL even in March.
The plus: great location for a tourist. The staff all speak English. They are helpful and efficient. The roof top view is outstanding.
The breakfast was very good with a variety of selections. I also found the area a great place to read my book, have a cookie and hot tea!
No problems with the elevator. No problems with wifi in our room or at the common area computer on 2nd floor.
Minor issue: Like most European hotel rooms just a tad small. Since I did not spend a lot of time in the room , this is a minor issue.
The room is nicely decorated. Storage cabinet for your clothes. Plenty of hot water. Good lighting. I never turned on the tv.
Our room had a balcony. The sliding door was sound proof ! The balcony is not for sitting.

Would I rebook this room should I return to athens! Yes

Ps... The desk clerk that works until 11pm and is a scorpio! You were wonderful and fun! Thanks for that personal touch.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit to Athens. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are pleased to know that our high standards of service and facilities enabled you to have an enjoyable and memorable stay. Thank you for your high score
Kind regards

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We traveled in March.

The hotel is very close to everything you want to see and most of the shopping in Athens. Nice breakfast bar and most of the staff was amicable.

We had no view and the side of the room we were on was extremely loud with pedestrian and vehicle traffic.Walls are quite thin, could hear all of our neighbors.

Roof top bar open for drinks from April although open for sitting not very well maintained.

Free cookies and coffee throughout the day was a nice touch and pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: If you have a choice one with a view would be nice but there is likely no way to escape outside or h...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank My-own-little-world

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Athens.
We are glad you liked the very central location, our amicable staff and our breakfast.
The time you stayed with us was Carnival time, this is why you had some street noise. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused. Hope to see you again.
Kind regards

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I liked how the hotel was right in the thick of it. The minute you step outside you're by restaurants, shops, a lovely cathedral, etc. We even saved nearly 38 euros by taking the 95X bus from the airport and rolling our luggage a mere 10 minute walk right down the street from the bus stop. The hotel is on the same street and the same side of the street where the bus lets you off and it's the end of the line stop so you don't have to worry about where to get off the bus. When it was time leave, we returned to the exact same bus stop to head back to the Athens airport. What could be easier? I believe the bus ride was around 5 euros a person and the bus came every 15 minutes for what ended up being about a 45 or 60 minute ride. There is even a place on the bus for luggage. Buy tickets at the airport, from the driver or at that end of line stop right before you get on. Then you don't have to worry about dishonest cab drivers ripping you off.

The hotel offered a free/small bottle of wine and had a nice dining room with free biscuit cookies, free hot chocolate or coffee (from a machine) or tea until about 4 or 5pm. The dining room had a nice feel, like you were in a cool international hostel rather than a hotel. There were free books to read and a nice view of the street below. The breakfast was free and adequate but a far cry from the best ones I had during my vacation in Greece. It had a few basics but absolutely no real selection or choices of anything.

The room was quiet right up until late that night when a bunch of drunk teens and 20 something's came out from clubs (or wherever???) on the street below. One idiot kept driving his car around with really loud electronic music repeately till 1am or so. The hotel can't really be blamed for that but do expect it. I liked the bathroom and the beds were comfy. It was a small room but clean and adequate. We had diner at an asian noodle restaurant a few blocks up the street and we absolutely loved it. All in all this place had a good feel and, although it doesn't have a high class/expensive feel, you do feel safe and you can save a bit if you take a bus instead of a cab.

Room Tip: We had a room on the same side as the street and the street was very noisy late at night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WellHeeledTravelor

Dear Guest,
I am glad that you were satisfied with the service you received from our staff, and the location of the hotel.
Referring toi your comments concerning the night noise, it was due to the Carnival time and many people tend to have fun in the streets.As you mentioned this is something that the hotel can't be blamed particularly as we have double glazed windows. As for the breakfast, it is generally commented as one of the best in variety and quality for a three star hotel. I am sorry you were not satisfied enough.
Your review concerning transportation details will be helpful to other guests.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

In historic Plaka district, within walking distance to major sites and metro connections to airport and Pireas harbor. Excellent breakfast and very helpful staff including a woman who visits with people during breakfast to offer advice. This was especially helpful the day we left Athens as there was a strike closing the archaeological sites. One downside is the fan you share with adjoining room in the bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SadieMT

Dear Guest,
We are very happy to know that your stay at the hotel was positive experience. In our attempt to improve we surely value all the feedback we can get from our guests. We will check again if there is something that can be improved with fan you mentioned. Thank you.
Best regards.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

As a Greek-American that travels to Athens half a dozen times a year, I am very happy to have found and stayed at Plaka hotel. The location is incredible. It is adjacent to the Metropolis (Greek Cathedral, which is currently under renovation) and a stone's through from Monastiraki, the tourism hub of the city, which allows you easy access to Plaka, Thisseio, Constitution Square, and Acropolis. You are about 150 feet away from the best Souvlaki/gyro spots in the entire city - Just walk down Mitropoleos street to arrive at Thanassis or Bairaktaris. The rooms were modern and immaculate, staff was great. The breakfast was OUT OF THIS WORLD. Excellent value for money, I appreciated the two hours of free internet and two small bottles of wine left for me. This will be the only place I will be staying when I go back. Only negatives: No clock in the room (would have preferred a clock/ipod speaker combo) and the roof deck was closed (which was a huge disappointment, please open it, it is warm enough now). Looking forward to my next trip!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank PhantomTraveler79

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you personally for your kind recommendation to others and for sharing your lovely feedback following your stay with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the location and the experience of the Acropolis view, as well as the breakfast, the cleanliness and most importantly the friendliness of our staff. As for your comment about the roof terrace, we usually open it from April to November(weather allowing), and we will open it today as the weather is very promising.