“Excellent location, very comfortable room.”
Review of Plaka Hotel

Plaka Hotel
Ranked #13 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Boulder, Colorado
“Excellent location, very comfortable room.”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I spent 4 nights here in early October 2011. I booked the room as a single, and got a room with a double bed, though it was smaller than other rooms in the hotel. There was a small balcony, but since the room was on a lower floor, the view was of the back of the surrounding buildings. Everything in the room was clean, modern, and in good repair. The bed was the most comfortable of any I had in Greece. It was a cozy and comfortable place for a single woman to return to at night. The bathroom had a roomy shower, and was quite nice. The breakfast room was a bustling place in the morning, a little too crowded, but the food was varied and good. Free coffee and tea in the late afternoon, and the great rooftop terrace were added bonuses. The location initially seemed not so great while dragging my bags from Syntagma Square after dark, but as I explored the area the next day I found how convenient it was to historical sites and restaurants, and after a little orientation to the city I realized it was a great choice.

The only downside I can report is that the price of wifi/internet access was quite high, considering that every other hotel I used in Greece offered it for free. I think it was something like 2 Euros for 20 minutes if I recall correctly. From a service point of view the person staffing the front desk was unable to help me with locating a proper wine store and a good bakery, pointing me to a mini-mart. There was a guest services representative approaching people in the breakfast room asking if she could help with anything, maybe she would have been better able to help, but I didn't think to ask at that time.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and gladly stay there again. I booked through one of the large booking sites, and paid $100 per night, single, which I felt was an excellent value for the condition of the room and location in a major city with a major tourist presence.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
DORINAPLAKA, General Manager at Plaka Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel, as well as the easy access to all Archeological sites.
Your comments are mostly appreciated.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The manager Dorina...was very very helpful..helped us with sight seeing,bookings of restaurants..
excellent location...small rooms but neat n clean..nice breakfast....close access to all sight seeing in Athens...

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure meeting you and I am so pleased to read that our advise was helpful to you. Hope to see you again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed at the Plaka Hotel in Athens in late September, its location is fantastic with many of the sights in walking distance. The hotel is clean and comfortable and the breakfast is very adequate. Little extras like having coffee and tea available all day is very welcoming especially when you get back after a day of exploring and the hotel employee who comes around at breakfast and offers her advise on where to go and what to see is very helpful indeed. The rooftop with its spectacular view of the Acropolis is a wonderful place to have a drink especially at night when its all lit up. Loved Athens felt safe at all times. Would recommend the plaka Hotel and hope to get back their myself one day.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased to read that you returned home with a positive memory and experience from your saty with us.

We really hope that you will return one day to us.

Trumbull, Connecticut
Reviewed November 2, 2011

The Plaka Hotel in Athens was a great find. The staff was very helpful. A porter brought our luggage up and refused a tip !! The location was very convenient & we had a spectacular view of the Acropolis at night. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at Plaka Hotel for 5 nights at the end of October and had a wonderful time. Our room didn't have a view, but the view of the Acropolis from the roof terrace was fantastic. The room was very comfortable and clean, although fairly small. Tonia from the hotel was a great babysitter for us as well. One day we had a daytrip to Hydra island, which was very pretty. Lots of companies advertise tours but it was just as easy (and much cheaper) to get the metro to the port and buy a standard ferry ticket. We had been a little concerned about coming to Athens at this time due to what we had seen on the news but everything was calm and friendly in the city. There was one day of transport strikes but pretty much everything was in very easy walking distance of the hotel, so that wasn't a problem. For when the transport was working, the hotel was very close to a metro station on the direct line to the airport. Do take extra care on the metro - I was robbed on our way back to the airport. I'm usually very careful but two men blocked me off from my husband and son, one distracted me by taking my suitcase from me, which I tried to keep hold of, while a second man robbed my handbag. It could happen in any city but it is worth being aware of. Luckily the thieves didn't get my camera or my wonderful memories of Athens in the sunshine.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time sharing your positive experience on TA.
We are pleased we were able to offer you an early check in after your night boat trip.
We will be very happy to accommodate in the future you or any of your friends.

Christiansted, St. Croix
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcomed, as if we were special guests. A romantic interlude that will remain in our memory for ever was the roof top deck with the most spectacular view of the Acropolis. The staff extended an early breakfast for those of us who had very early flights, a very nice touch. We were a little aprehensive about going to Athens since we've heard a lot of negatives but we loved it. It is beautiful and the people couldn't have been nicer. When we return to Athens we would like to stay at the Plaka again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is with great pleasure and satisfaction that we read that your stay in Plaka Hotel was a memorable one. i am very pleased you were able to enjoy an early breakfast and that you loved the exceptional view of the Acropolis from our roof terrace.
I really hope to see you again.
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed at the Plaka Hotel for two nights at the end of an island hopping holiday back in August. We had caught the night ferry into town and found the hotel really easy to find wioth it's central location close to the station. The hotel staff we're very helpful and accommodating with our early check-in and directions on how to get around the city and the best events happening during our short stay.

The rooms were of a very good standard and were great value for money. The rooftop terrace really is great and we spent the early evening up there on both nights to watch the sunset over the acropolis. The view really is amazing.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Plaka Hotel and would certainly recommend it to any of our friends planning a trip to Athens. The central location is perfect for any visitor but especially those only staying for a short time with close proximity to the Acropolis and other sites of Athens.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple