“Go To Restaurant”

Ranked #126 of 3,398 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Thissio / Makriyanni
Description: Family Owned Greek Restaurant that specializes in Greek Tradional Cuisine (fish, meat & pasta). Tradional Greek-Mediterranean Dishes & Wines. Greek Cuisine With a Modern Take. Comfort Breakfast & Brunch with a Global Street Food Approach.
Reviewed September 9, 2016

On our trip to Athens, Greece this summer, we happened upon a restaurant that turned out to be our go-to place for delicious Greek food. It is a family-owned restaurant, and the friendly service is wonderful. They make you feel like you are family! Everything is fresh and tasty, from the Gyros to the Greek Salad and Greek pizza, and is reasonably priced. They have indoor and outdoor dining in a nice environment. I would highly recommend this restaurant to all.

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed September 8, 2016 via mobile

Super great meal, cheap and great service! The Greek salad was amazing, highly recommend and will definitely be coming back :)

Reviewed September 7, 2016 via mobile

If you are in the area and are looking for a fantastic, friendly and authentic Greek experience, go to Smile. The owner, Connie, will make you feel like you are eating at her house with her family, not sitting in a cute yet very well done space perfectly located right in the middle of everything Athens.

Aside from the hospitality and atmosphere, the food is truly a Greek experience in itself, portions are generous, and the price is incredibly reasonable.

Stop in and see Connie, you won't regret it.

Reviewed September 4, 2016

We loved everything about Smile Cafe so much that during our 1 week stay in Athens, we ate there 5 times - if that doesn't say how awesome this place is, nothing does. No other restaurants we went to could make food with the same taste, skill and passion as this cafe.

Firstly and importantly, this is a genuine family owned restaurant with mama overlooking everything and her daughter working really hard to welcome everyone and provide perfect service. The son makes up various delicious dishes in the kitchen and other family members cook too, not to mention the help of cousins etc during holiday time when its busy. You don't find this type of family run business anymore, with this much love in their food and sincere care for their customers. Everyone speaks English and other languages, they managed to easily communicate with Chinese, German, Dutch and Japanese customers while we were there - they are one impressive family.

The food is EXCELLENT and another great reason why we ate there so often. Start with Cheese Balls (see pic) which were semi-sweet cheese deep fried and very yummy, Fried Squid with Greek Salad (see pic) which were just amazing, melt in your mouth perfection and even the salad was the best Greek salad I've ever had in my life. Very fresh ingredients, tasted garden fresh and flavours that pop in your mouth.

Chocolate milkshake (see pic) and Frappe (see pic) were a lovely afternoon treat, perfect in the summer when you're looking for a nice cold drink. Moussaka (see pic) was such perfection with a beautiful cheesy topping and smooth sauce throughout, filled with lots of aubergine/eggplant and it follows mama's recipe. I read in a previous review on Tripadvisor that someone said it was pre-bought frozen - I AM INSULTED! Considering we both ate this marvelous dish on 2 separate occasions, each time wanting to lick the bowl clean after finishing because it was so damn good, I am horrified at the absolute rubbish some reviewers can post. Did that reviewer ask how it was made? No, but I did and mama should be very proud.

Lamb Kleftiko with Feta (see pic) was the best I've ever eaten, the meat was tender, juicy and I still crave this dish when I want lamb. The feta cheese was incredible, it melted just beautifully over the vegetables surrounding the meat and tasted so smooth and milky, so I asked mama how come her feta melted so well as my home bought feta doesn't. She gave me all her tips on how to cook it, how to reconstitute it if you buy it too dry from the shop. Thanks mama, best cooking tips ever.

Grilled Whole Squid (see pic) was wonderful, really tender and a great light meal on a hot summer day, served with that great garden fresh Greek Salad I mentioned earlier.

Desserts were Greek Doughnuts (see pic) which are light, fluffy, big, sweet dough balls deep fried and served with a pour-over of honey and cinnamon - if you're drooling with excitement right now you should be, they were the best we had during our entire stay in Athens. Another amazing thing was the Lemon Yoghurt with Cinnamon Biscuits (see pic) which again is a home made recipe the son makes and mama shared some of this with me for which I am truly honoured, while the daughter explained this is often served in the Greek Islands but has become popular in Athens because it's a light dessert on a hot day.

Desserts were so good we didn't eat them at other restaurants, instead choosing to come back here instead. I didn't find any other restaurants serving Lemon Yoghurt in Athens and once you've tried it here, you'll understand why you want to come back for more again and again.

We felt like family here - even after our first visit. Every time we came back we were remembered and welcomed, they prepared our same table that we liked from our first visit and all the family came by to say hello every time we came back. I will sincerely miss these people, their lovely restaurant and their excellent food.

Date of visit: August 2016
3  Thank BarbieMegaTraveller
Reviewed September 3, 2016 via mobile

We were a group of seven in our party for lunch. Everyone ordered different Greek traditional dishes and everyone enjoyed them. Save room for dessert! They make donuts to order and they were awesome! Donuts came with honey and cinnamon. We ordered two plates of donuts for the seven of us. The staff was very helpful and extremely down to earth. They made the experience very pleasant, I can see why it's highly ranked on Trip Advisor.

1  Thank 186cesarg