“A little piece of home in Athens”

Smile Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 3,718 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Thissio / Makriyanni
Orlando, Florida
“A little piece of home in Athens”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Connie and Zoe (and Connie's sons in the kitchen) were wonderful hosts and made our eating experience in Athens wonderful. While many restaurants were reluctant to serve us yero/pita wraps, pushing the more expensive "plates," Connie was wonderful in offering to serve us anything we wanted. We ate very well. I was with a group of 14, and she treated us like family. She gave us suggestions on what to try, and everything was delicious. We ate here as a group 3 times, and I ate there another 2 times on my own. I will not return to Athens without eating at Smile. We absolutely loved the food and Connie and Zoe made it special.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
liverpool
“Not Bad?”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

This place is overrated. Yes the people who run it are friendly and the prices are certainly reasonable. But I think the food could be better. I had the moussaka which was a lot creamy for me not much mince or meat in it. The Hallumi was also just about right. My local Nandos does better actually.

One thing is sure. This can't be the 10th ranked restaurent in Athens. Certainly over-rated in TA.

Cardiff
“A pleasure!”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

What a fantastic restaurant. From the outside it doesn't look like much, and we might not have gone in were it not for the brilliant reviews on TA, but it's a true gem.

We had lamb kleftico followed by doughnuts, both of which are very highly recommended for being delicious and excellent value. What I liked most about this place though was how passionate the staff were about the food, encouraging us to smell the lamb before trying it and showing genuine enthusiasm and concern for our liking of it. The owner - I did ask for her name and must admit I've completely forgotten it since - is a delight to talk to and truly seems to care about her customers. All in all, we had a fantastic evening here and I would love to return!

• Visited June 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“GREAT FOOD, GREAT PEOPLE, GREAT PRICES”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

what else can I say. We ate here several times during our Athens stay. great location, food, prices and staff. we took our time enjoying wine, eating their excellent food, chatteing with other patrons and the staff. Food and drink prices were so affordable we almost passed initially. So glad we didn't, we LOVE this place! highly recommend!! Grape leaves, gyros, skewers, margarita pizza, wine.... all great

Singapore, Singapore
“Good food but there are better”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Perhaps we had too high expectations but expected great food, unfortunately it's just good food. We chanced on this restaurant when we sat on the second deck of the red Hop on Hop off bus tour. Having read about it in TA, decided to stop for a bite.

Service: Excellent family running the business, polite and thorough. Entertaining too, with little white stones for you to sign in as a guest.

Food: Ordered the pork and chicken gyros (pita bread with filling) and found both salty, having eaten some off the street at the market in central. Good but over salted.

Value: Good value, huge portion of meat in both.

Ambience: Comfortable.