Chic Hotel
Plaka Hotel(Athens)
$213
$182
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsomonia squareshampoo and shower gelbad neighborhooddrug dealershotel is locatedbigger roomnever felt unsaferooms are smallclean bathroomnight's sleepbusiness triptaxi driverrestaurants and barscentral athenslate at nightconvenient locationbusy street
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed 3 nights recently at Chic hotel. It is small, modern and comfortable. During the day there is plenty of life about but at night we felt that walking anywhere was a bit daunting. The hotel is described as bing in the area of Psirri (which is lovely) but nightlife of Psirri is about half a mile away through dark, deserted streets. On the plus side the hotel is close to Taverna Klimataria which is fantatsic.

Room Tip: Lower rooms facing the main street are noisy from early morning
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband and I spent three nights here on our honeymoon in July of 2011, during one of the weeks of the taxi strikes. We were nervous about this when we first arrived after the privately arranged airport shuttle driver reacted so strongly when we told him where we were staying. He told us about the location and its "dangerous" reputation. We did not find it too troubling once we saw the area as long as you stay on the main street and don't go off by yourself super late at night. The hotel itself is very lovely, "chic" with a modern and trendy feel. Breakfast was nice and the room was clean and bright. The walk to the main "tourist" section of town is about 15 minutes but there's also a metro right up the block.

The thing I will never forget about our stay here, though, was the staff. They went WAY over and beyond the call of duty for us. Here is what happened (I know this is a crazy long story but it is just to illustrate HOW SWEET the staff are at this place -- I'm sorry if I got the names mixed up!!!):

As a surprise, my husband arranged for us to see MEDEA at the Epidaurus theater festival, happening during out stay, in Epidaurus. He had already bought the festival tickets but our travel agent was not able to arrange us transport (bus, ferry, cab, or otherwise) to actually GET to the ancient theater which is a good 1.5 to 2 hours away from Athens by bus. I guess our travel agent just figured we'd get a "day trip" ride on a ferry or bus from Athens, but since the taxi strike was going on it was very hard to get around and book trips online. So, we thought, let's just rent a car and drive there! And while we're at it, we could drive to Sounio first (south) and see the Temple of Poseidon.

We were a bit ambitious. All the "smart cars" or smaller vehicles in town had been leased due to the strike and so the only car available was this huge (for Athens streets) volvo passat. The rather sketchy car-rental guy basically showed up at Chic Hotel very suddenly, charged us a crazy amount and told us we were on our own as far as gas and tolls and threw a GPS through the window before running off. ....Needless to say after spending 100euro filling up the car and trying to turn on the GPS which was completely in Greek... I immediately got lost trying to follow it and we ended up driving through tiny vegetable market alleys because the rental car guy somehow set the GPS to "avoid highways." Um. This wasn't going to work out.

After about an hour of trying to navigate back to the hotel we called the rental place back and told them we wanted a refund and basically, to cancel our rental. The rental guy argued with us for over an hour and showed up to the hotel with a "brand new GPS" and offered it to me...I gave it back to him and said no thank you, we wanted a refund, and at this point I was pretty much visibly holding back tears. It looked like we were going to miss the play and be out hundreds of euro. The sweet gentlemen -- Dimitri & Yannos i believe -- at check-in stepped in at this point and talked to the rental car guy for us and he refunded our money. He wouldn't give us back the gas money though. So, 100 euro down, we figured we'd give up on trying to get to Epidaurus.

Dimitri recommended a place for us to have lunch that was just fantastic to try to calm down. When we returned, he pulled us aside and told us he'd been working on a solution. He said that if we took a city bus to the main bus station at the edge of the city, and brought the right amount of money (he told us how much) to get onto a festival bus leaving for Epidaurus, we should be able to make it just in time. Since the website for the buses was not allowing him to make online ticket reservations, it was not a guarantee that we'd be able to get on the bus, but we were willing to try. If we didn't get on, he gave us instructions on how to get back to the hotel on the bus, too. I think he would have drove us there himself if he wasn't the only person at the front desk at that moment.

I thought, if we do get the ride to Epidaurus, how are we going to get back to Chic Hotel later that night when we returned at midnight from Epidaurus? Taxis were on strike, buses would be no longer running (and probably not a good idea to be riding on as tourists at midnight in the outskirts of Athens to a stop that is basically a side street off Ommonoia Sq.)

This is why I will never forget the sweet staff at this hotel. He arranged for his coworker (Yannos, I believe) TO PICK US UP IN HIS OWN CAR. I don't even think Yannos was working or on shift at the time. He just did it as a favor. It was without a doubt the kindest, sweetest, caring thing ever and I will never forget their kindness! After hassling with bus drivers who only spoke Greek and begging them to let us on their bus (the bus ride and trying to get onto the charter bus was an adventure all its own), we finally got on, and got to see MEDEA in the Epidaurus theater. It was such a true privilege to be able to experience the beauty and history of the ancient theater, the gorgeous Greek countryside, and the hospitality of some of the nicest folks I have ever met. Say what you will about Athens, but its people are so welcoming, so kind, so warm, and so resilient, you can see it when you talk to them that they truly love their country and want to make it better.

I pray that things are better off in Athens not than they were in 2011 but will never forget the hospitality, the thoughtfulness and the care shown to us by the front desk staff of this great hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jenni J
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Chic Hotel, located very near Omonia Square and metro station in Central Athens serves as a comfortable base for tourists and business people. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The rooms are small but adequately furnished with comfortable beds, adequate storage space for clothing, a mini-bar, table/desk with two chairs and a well appointed shower. Wi-Fi functions well in the room as does air-conditioning unit. The breakfast room is comfortable and a complimentary basic breakfast is offered to guests. The staff are very friendly and helpful and were willing to answer any questions. Most of the tourist sites in central Athens are within walking distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the main road but was very quiet when door to bacony closed and air conditioning in operation.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Yaacov K
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We left the cruise ship Riviera after a lovely not to be forgotten cruise around the Greek Islands.
We had a 9 AM check in ,met by a lovely pleasant helpful girl we were at breakfast in minutes and in our room soon afterwards. The room was very clean but basic. The comfort was excellent ,the bed was really comfortable with all the amenities we required even for a longer stay.
The biggest impression was made by the staff from the reception to the room maid and finally on check out,so friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My brother, sisters and I stayed at the Chic Hotel for 2 nights. We opted to take a cab/taxi to the hotel (rather than the metro) since it was 35 euro total, opposed to the 8 euro per person on the metro and having to switch trains. The staff was friendly, and the rooms were clean. I requested 2 rooms with 2 twins, however, one of the rooms was a queen, which was fine as we had enough room to share. There is free wifi in the hotel (rooms and in the lobby) and a decent breakfast buffet. The metro was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel, and was only 2 stops from the Acropolis (on the same line). The neighborhood is not the greatest, as it is not touristy, but we did not have a problem with any of the locals.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family