“Lovely staff”

Ranked #56 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Bideford, United Kingdom
“Lovely staff”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel was very clean and in an excellent location - not a classy area but we never felt uncomfortable or threatened even when returning to the hotel late at night. It was literally only a few minutes walk from the Metro and thus gave easy, quick and cheap access to all the major attractions. The room was a bit small with rather limited storage but warm, clean, quiet and obviously only recently decorated. The breakfast was excellent with a good choice of dishes. The best thing about the hotel was the staff who were all absolutely charming and very helpful. The receptionist who we saw when we first arrived went to a lot of trouble to find out how we liked to spend our time and mapped out a really helpful itinerary for our 1st evening complete with details of which area to explore and where to get on and off the Metro. Her colleague the next day was equally helpful in finding us the best deal for a sightseeing bus tour of the city.
If we were in Athens again we would certainly be happy to use this hotel again

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margaret S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This hotel is a small hotel with a lot of luxury for the price. I stay there for a night with my wife The rooms are big enough, very clean and the trim of the room is from leather.
Only drawback is the place the hotel is situated.Bad neighborhoods . However it's near Metaxourgio Metro Station and that means that you can easy access the city center.
The breakfast is exceptional.
Reasonable prices
Reccomendend for young people and individuals.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trek1984
Thessaloníki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed January 20, 2012

we stay ther for 2 nights. A gil in the reception welcomed us warmfully.the room was ok, new decorated and very clean. Metaxourio metro station is 30 meters far and you can visit the hostorical center in 5 minutes! iActually metro in Athens is very convinient!
the area around the hotel wasnt the best but if you want to stay out till late you can take a taxi.(taxis in Athens arent expensive)
Breakfast had everything for such a small hotel!
We will stay there again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Before I start this review I want to say I have never written a review previously about anywhere that I have stayed, I am aware that people are damming when they write some reviews about hotels on here and they are not really justified, I feel so strongly about my experiance I have had to put it into writing.

Location : The hotel is situated in one of the worst parts of Athens were drug addicts and a lot of undesirable people are, it is a pretty unsafe area and at night even worse, you can really feel it the all time.
There are no shops or restaurants in the area. The rooms were very noisy and they are all facing the street where day and night you can hear shouting and arguing ! If it gets a little quite at night then you hear the cars roaring the next big main road one block away!

The hotel was clean looking, however once the smell of chlorox had subsided in the bathroom there was not a nice smell. The bedroom had a large bed it was comfortable but there was not much space to move around with a side table blocking the access of the very small wardrobe with doors that were difficult to open on the other side was a sad 1970 minibar, there was a chair in the room but because there was not really any room for it it was placed in a corner that made it impossible to sit on.

The staff were extremly rude and hardly gave a smile! On two occasions my friends were stopped from coming to collect me from my room! apparently some sort of policy of the hotel ! The staff were completly rude in dealing with this situation, making me feel as though I was doing something wrong. One of the rudest members of staff called Salvina made some comments about me as I was still going up the stairs I ve never felt comfortable from the minute I checked in. I would have checked out of the hotel after this, I had however paid for the hotel up front via an internet deal ( never again) so I had to stick it out for one more night.

The wifi is suppose to be through the all hotel but only works near reception, I heard other guests making the same comment as me, but all was ignored and all guests ended up at reception in front of everyone', so there was no wifi in the room as advertised.

On the first day I was told breakfast was €8 ( like it was also advertised on the website) the following morning I was made to sign a check for €14 by a very rude waiter, even though I explained I was a guest and gave my room number. It took about 15 minutes when I checked out to rectified the price to € 8. The breakfast wasnt even worth the eight euros. Because of the rudness of the staff and the way I was being treated and also because I was in a foreign country I felt that if I complained to the manager I was going to get the same response, so I thought I would just stick it out for one more night before I left.

To sum all of this up, it was my first time in Athens which I enjoyed. However the hotel was in a really bad, noisy, in an unsafe location with completley rude uneducated staff. I now know why this hotel was advertised as a deal on the internet because no one else would stay here. It is supposed to be four star, I have travelled a lot throughout Europe and the US and this has got to be the worst four star hotel I have EVER seen.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
18 Thank reece L
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The main reason to make a reservation was the price/reviews from previous guests, but I have to admit the overall impression was great!
Location is not the best, but it is not bad either. It is right in front of Mataxourgio metro station, which means you need 10 minutes to get to Akropolis. We even walked to the city center, but we didn't like so much the area called Omonia.To the airport it was 1 hour door to door. The connection by metro is easy and seems to work better than buses or even taxis. Rooms are modern, with comfortable bed and spacious toilet, all brand new (the hotel was fully renovated in 2009) and adequate size for a short stay. Cleanness was also perfect.
No doubt about the best: the staff. They will provide you a service you normally won't find in a hotel. Apart from the normal reception service, they have a sort of "tourist desk" where two really friendly Greek girls will be willing to give you advices of what to do or where to go. We were suggested a couple of restaurants that we really liked and got some info about certain sites which was quite useful. They speak really good English and even better Spanish. They love Spanish language, so they were super happy to practice.

The worst thing is something that Athens hotel can not change: there is a construction site right in front. Isolation in the rooms is quite ok (you won't hear anything from other guests), but work starts at 8am right across the street and that will be the time you wake up :). Something I found strange was that I got one of the booking deals (40 € per night for two) including a bottle of wine, but we never got it!
Breakfast was not included, but we thought we could have it. However, the price was way too high: 20 € per person!!!! Not worth when you can get a normal one somewhere else for like 4 €.

In any case, I will come back in my next visit to Athens

Room Tip: We got the room in the first floor. Better a bit higher
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rubo82
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

After an easy train journey into Athens and a quick connection on the Metro, you emerge above ground into a reasonably rundown area. Don't be put off by first impressions.

Although the area might not be the most attractive that Athens has to offer, the hotel itself is smart and welcoming with reasonably sized and well-appointed rooms.

Reception staff were friendly and fairly efficient. There was free wifi throughout the hotel, although it was a little temperamental. The in-room television featured a good choice of international channels. The bed was comfortable and the room featured a small balcony, which was ideal if you're a smoker.

Breakfast at the hotel was reasonable and the food was freshly prepared. Definitely not the widest selection (especially for vegetarians) but the food on offer was perfectly acceptable.

Most of Athens' major attractions are within easy reach of the Athens Lotus Hotel, mostly via the city's extensive tram, rail, metro and bus network. Tickets were reasonably priced and the network is easy to navigate.

Our tip: take some of the descriptions of tourist sites with a pinch of salt. Some 'historical' sites are, in fact, barely identifiable. That said, Athens has more than its fair share of genuine sites, so there's loads to see.

As well being close to a Metro station, the hotel is within 10 minutes' walk of Gazi - ideal for a night out to party in the city's trendy clubs and bars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JDW-TKM
Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Arrived in Athens during the rubbish collectors strike, so the views out the shuttlebus window during trip from airport weren't overly welcoming. However, the Lotus definitely reversed the setting. Clean, well appointed spot, very helpful staff. Rooms small, so if you plan on spending most of your time in the room, a larger space would be more pleasant.
One short block from a convenient Metro station, which takes one anywere in the city, including the airport (our departure day was affected by the general strike which closed down the Metro, so we had to take a private car to the airport, which was reliably and quickly organized by Lotus staff). The Metro looks brand new, safe, used by everyone, and has stops at virtually all needed locations.
The hotel is not in the old town, archeological district, but is an 8 min Metro ride away, and the Metro appeared quite safe, even later in the evenings. Breakfast was very adequate to supply needed energy for most of the rest of the day. On our 3rd day in Athens, many public archeology sites were closed by the strike, but the Lotus staff was very helpful in suggesting alternative sites to visit by foot, so what could have been disappointing was actually turned into a very successful day, thanks to them.
Overall a very adequate lodging, unless you want to have a view of the Akropolis out of your bedroom window.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple