“over expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #272 of 333 Hotels in Athens
Europe
“over expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

When I booked the room in there I was in the end of my vacation and not so much money left and I took my chances to stay there. Considering the reviews I was expecting that I will sleep next to hell. So I am getting inside and in the reception and I am seeing young people with laptops, a very nice and vacation atmosphere. A nice lady in the reception checked me in and explained to me about kitchen, the showers and principal attraction wich were in walking distance. The bed I booked for 8 euros was in a shared room with 4 beds. The room was very spacious and very clean and a private balcony where I could stay with laptop. For my surpise even on the balcony the wi-fi was working very fast. She gave me an extra sheet and a towel for free. Also I could use the computer from the common area for free to print my tickets. The kitchen loos a bit like gramma`s but is clean and is doing the job.
The building was secured CCTV and you needed a key to get in. Every person staying there had one so I felt very secured, specialy that I could see on the monitor in the reception each person was getting inside the building. The area arround the building can be a bit dramatic for someone that is not used with life in a big city, but I was not feeling treatened in any way. Looks like everybody is minding their business and the central police station was only 50 meters upper.
Before I came here I was camping in Santorini and Ios and I was paying 12,50 and 11 euros / night to sleep in my own tent and in this hostel I was paying 8 euros for a bed with clean sheets, towel, 24 hot water, free wi-fi, free use of the computer with internet and printer and the kitchen, balcony and each bed in my room had a fan. I was wondering what they could offer more for this price and why all the bad reviews. I was to trust the reviews I was going to pay at least triple price for something that I doubt was better. I traveled in manny places and many times I payed way much more than I was reciveing. Here I had a very good time, I got friendly with two spanish guys that I was sharing the room with and Mike, the owner is a relly nice and decent guy that kep my luaggages next day after my check out with no extra fees.
Thanks Athens House for everything, I will stay there again for sure and I will reccomend you to my all friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Cristian P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

i know it doesnt look like the safest place but i stayed here for a month and i had no complaints .Miglen is awesome,super nice and friendly and he helped me a lot !!!
love it and wanna deff go back , very clean and nice !!!!

Room Tip: i loved the private !!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Athens
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Worst part of town, hookers right outside with pimps/drug dealers, most nights ten hookers, think they use building across the road for their trade.
Saw a couple of angry arguments during my stay from balcony, one resulting to blows, with a stall being picked up as a weapon.
Lots of doggy people hanging around!
Booked private room for 20euros a night for 5nights wanted to change after first night to dorm but owners won't let me, 20euros I night and didn't like going out after 9.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

We had a very pleasant stay at this hostel. We found the manager to be very helpful and generous and made us feel at home. Very close to the syntagmia square. I feel that this hostel has been judged a little harshly- don't let the bad ones put you off. You can't expect 5 star for these prices- you get what you pay for and we left feeling happy with our stay. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Kiwiontheroad151
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

This hostel is conveniently located (close to the metro and sights) but the area is a little seedy. The place was clean and quiet, but doesn't have an overly homely or exciting atmosphere. Good for the price we paid. Owner friendly but a little strange.

• Stayed April 2012
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

never been so scared in my entire life!! no one in town knew of it and when we did get there our taxi driver said goodluck and be safe like 100 times. the place is surrounded with [---] and seedy looking men. the place doesn't seen too bad, but wud definitely never come back. booked for two nights but we are outta here in the morning!

• Stayed November 2011
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

What a place. Located in a dodgy area of town across from a corner with tons of prostitutes. The reception was unhelpful, didn't even know how to place a call out. That said it was pretty cheap, quiet and the beds were comfortable. There's a metro stop nearby so its easy to get anywhere in the city. Definitely gives you a taste of the seedy side of Athens.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends