TripAdvisor
Athens
Post
Inbox
Search

“Must try! Fresh & amazing!”
Review of O Kostas

O Kostas
Ranked #163 of 3,167 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek
Neighborhood: Syntagma
Neighborhood: Syntagma
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Best souvlakia I tried in Greece! It’s a small place and cooked to order. The ingredients tasted very fresh and I love how it’s not humongous. We ate it as a snack/small lunch a couple hours before our food tour. FYI There’s only a small bench to sit at in the front, otherwise no other seating.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (795)

Reviewed September 9, 2019 via mobile

This place was recommended to us by friends as some of the best souvlaki in Athens and it did not disappoint. It’s a tiny hole in the wall, family-run with the skewered meat grilled fresh. The pita is crispy on the outside with an excellent chew, and is the perfect street food to enjoy in Athens. I came here with my cousin and she called this the best meal we had on our 9-day trip in Greece!
Definitely make this one of your stops as well when you come to Athens.

Reviewed September 4, 2019

While the souvlaki was really tasty (more on that later), this is a tiny place so be prepared to stand in line. It took us about 50 min at 2pm on a Tuesday. Part of the reason the line didn’t move too fast is that local people either jump the line or call orders in. Honestly, that doesn’t bother me at all. I’m just one tourist and I know the local people who frequent O Kostas are going to keep them in business during the off-season. The other reason the line moves slowly is that the place is tiny - there are only two people working and the stove is all of maybe 3 feet wide. There are only so many meat skewers and pita you can fit on such a small cooktop. Despite the seemingly never ending line of people, the man and woman working there were laughing, smiling and very friendly. I found it interesting that they did not handle the money with their hands, but instead used tweezers to take bills and coins.

Once we finally got our souvlaki - wow, yummy! My hubby and I both got the pork. It’s served alongside fresh tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, and some savory spices (including those that bring a little heat) and within a perfectly chewy, delicious pita. As it was true street food, we were able to walk to our next destination while inhaling the most delicious souvlaki in a pita we’d ever had.

Reviewed August 28, 2019 via mobile

The line seemed long but it moved fast. This is really affordable and really delicious. There is only one bench outside to sit on so it’s a grab and go kind of place.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 26, 2019

Our Airbnb owner recommended this place and gave a tip to go early and she was right! Got there only 3o minutes after opening and there was already a line and we could certainly see (and taste) why. Super small menu but what they do, they do very, very well. One of the best Souvlaki we had in Greece. They been doing it since the 1950's and have a large and loyal following and it easy to wee why.

Date of visit: July 2019