“Great New Rooms in the All New Annex”
Review of Hotel Tony

Hotel Tony
Ranked #45 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We arrived at the hotel to find it all locked up and with a big skip of rubble in the street we feared for the worst. But along came Tony having stepped out to the Friday street market for a few moments and we were duly taken to his new place a few meters up the road by the side of the main building which is being completely renovated from top to bottom in time for the new summer season.

The rooms were great, especially the bathrooms, although we did get double rooms having requested two twin rooms. Leaving early and arriving late we did not get to see much of the hotel beyond our rooms but upon our return the rooms had been cleaned perfectly.

So if you want a nice clean room in a safe part of town at a very reasonable price then you should book well ahead.

One point to keep in mind is that Tony does not accept cards, so you should be prepared to hand over cash - there is a cash machine nearby but if the bill exceeds the daily limit it may give rise to problems. I had assumed that the amount would have already been deducted but as Tony said he only takes from the card for one night if you do not turn up, otherwise he passes the savings from not using cards onto his clients.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed March 6, 2012

I had a really great stay. The neighborhood is wonderful (so sad I didn't see the Tiki Bar until just before I left), the accommodations are nice and clean, and Tony was a good host. His friend Taki was my very driver -- such a relief since I arrived at 2am, and departed in the middle of a strike).

Hi Tony! (he takes these reviews very seriously!)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I booked based on the reviews on trip advisor and we were not disappointed. For 45€ a night I didn't expect the world, but were pleasently surprised at the cleanliness of the hotel as well as the ultra modern rooms. The walls literally have sparkly red accents. We stayed 3 nights and then came back for one later. Both times we were greater with comfortable beds and both Tony and his son went out of their way to be helpful. Also I want to make a point of saying that they are about 4 blocks from the plaka and away from all of the hub bub in a cute neighborhood. You will not be disappointed at being able to get away from the tourists and shop keepers. There is also a market on the street on fridays. Great place, if we are ever in Athens again it will be a no brainer where we stay.

Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Stayed the vinterholiday at Tony's with My family, the hotelroom was spaceious everything was very very clean and the standard was top. The lokation is in walkingdistance from everything you need to see in athens. The neighbourhood is quiet and safe so walking home in the evening is no problem and you will sleep well without the city noise. If we are going back to Athens we will for sure go back to Tony's. He also provided transport to and from the AirPort with his friend Takis and that was a great way to start and end the holiday a great guy you can trust as family.
Fam Lund ( norway )

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We arrived into Athens with a very sick little baby. After checking into Tony's and being shown our LOVELY room, we retired for the night as we were exhausted. Tony's son arranged for food to be brought to our rooms, for which we are eternally grateful. The next morning my little girl had a high fever and I was getting worried. Tony immediately started making phone calls to try and find us a doctor. Within 1/2 an hour he had arranged for a pediatrician to come to the hotel to examine her. Good thing too, as she had a throat and ear infection and needed antibiotics straight away. She was better by the next day and we were able to enjoy the rest of our holiday. The restaurants Tony recommended were fantastic and I would like to also mention the fabulous job the cleaners did on our room, folding our clothes and leaving the place spotless, every time. This hotel is truly a gem in beautiful Athens. I get choked up just thinking about Tony's vigilance in getting us a doctor, he truly went well above and beyond for us, I can't imagine what it would have been like if we hadn't had his help. Tony, not only do you have a fabulous hotel and staff, you are a kind and decent soul, and we will come back again and again to you and your generous hospitality. Thank you.

Room Tip: Keep an eye out for new room coming soon, fit for large families!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Star2112
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I brought my family to Athens for a few days on our way to Crete. As a journalist I had read the stories of unrest, and I know the details of the Euro crisis and machinations of Greek politics (as far as they can be understood.) I was assured by colleagues things were not as bad as photos portrayed, but was still on guard. Tony is a gentleman, and an honest businessman who, along with his son, guided us to a great stay. The hotel was in fantastic order, and is in a great location, in the shadow of the Acropolis. This is a great place, run by great folks, and if you spend your money there you will be given a warm hospitality, with local expertise. We didn't have any problems in Greece, and we hold fond memories. Thanks Tony!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Tony just for one night before we leave Athens. We stayed for a total of 6 nights in Athens but we drove around. I wish I found Hotel Tony earlier and stayed here longer!
First of all, the hotel is not what you call a traditional hotel. Tony bought houses around his original hotel, and then renovated them and turn them into a hotel. We booked through www.booking.com, after checking the trip advisor reviews and saw the high ranking, we booked it. There were the 3 of us, including our 11 yr old, so we booked the family room (fits 4). When we got to the hotel, we are given a choice, of staying in our original room, which is in the ground floor (aka basement), or being upgraded to 2 separate rooms in the 2nd floor of the same building for the same price. Wow, we thought. This is great. Long story short, we chose the 2 rooms.

The "building" that we stayed in was behind the front desk building. We can tell it was renovated with a high standard. Everything was so meticulously clean and shiny, and smelled fresh and good. The 2 rooms looked almost identical. The color scheme of the room was red, tan, and black. There are plugs everywhere, flat screen TV, great light switch, the design is very modern with clean lines. Each room also has a balcony, with an awning that you can control from inside to take it up and down (there are buttons for that too). I can imagine it would be great to just sit there in the summer time and drink coffee/tea and being able to adjust the height of the awning up and down as you want. The bed is a european king (so in the US we call it a queen size). There is also a kitchennette with a fridge in the room. The bathroom is also great. You have a choice of the rain shower, or regular shower.
There is also a button to tell the maid if you want your room cleaned or do not disturb, no more hanging paper tag!

Also, there is a FREE wireless that actually WORKS. We are a family with numerous Ipads and blackberries and I phones, and it has been our experience that some places advertise free wireless but the signals are so weak, you get so frustrated because you wait forever just to check emails. The wireless in Tony's - no problem, even for uploading pictures so that our families at home can see where we have been for the day!

The area itself is a safe area, within 5 mins walking from the Acropolis, the new Acropolis museum, Temple of Zeus. If you are willing to walk a little further, you can get to Plaka in 15 mins or so as well.

Tony himself, we met the next morning, he was the nicest guy. We had asked for a taxi to take us to the airport, so Tony called his friend to take us (40 euros to get to the airport - about 40 mins). He was so worried about us getting trapped in Athens traffic and be late for our flight, that he called his friend the driver after 30 mins and asked where he was and how close he was to the airport. This friend said that he and Tony had known each other for a long time. And Tony has always been someone who cares about others, Tony wants everything to be done perfectly and he is very honest.

I highly recommend Hotel Tony to everybody. I consider myself very picky when it comes to hotel and Hotel Tony is definitely one that I would come back to. You dont need to look anymore, the combination of the price, location, the host and the room you get for what you pay - it is amazing. He is renovating more this low season, so next time you are in Athens, ask for the new rooms! You will not regret staying at Hotel Tony.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family