“Eating at the hotel....”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Harleston B&B and Inns
Stowmarket
“Eating at the hotel....”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My husband and I booked a table for five, one infant and four adults, between Christmas and the new year...ie today the 29th December 2011. After having seen the hotel on the Hotel Inspector programme had hoped for a reasonable meal after the improvements suggested on the programme...after our visit, it was very obvious the owner had disregarded all the improvements suggested.
Of the five meals ordered, Roast of the day (Gammon or Beef on the menu) Beef not available, so turkey was offered. Cold and tasteless with three day old roast potatoes and no green vegetables, new potatoes (are they seasonal?) with carrots and roast potatoes...My husbands omelette was burnt, should have had cheese and tomato filling but the cheese was somewhere else...the other adult meals were cold and not at all pleasurable, the infants meal was ordered as three fish fingers and four arrived...I could go on....I did complain about my meal, which I have never done in any establishment before... it was immediately taken off the bill, the other diners were not allowed time to comment....service was extremely poor in every aspect, no-one to serve drinks at the table or ask if all was ok or if sauces were required...all in all the worst dining experience I have ever had. The owner of the hotel was present but he was not dressed as one would expect in his position. The only reason I ate my meal was that I am diabetic and had had my insulin, so to stop me being ill I had to eat something....especially after waiting so long....for the meal to arrive. NEVER AGAIN OR WILL I RECOMMEND THIS ESTABLISHMENT....THE HOTEL INSPECTOR SHOULD GO IN AGAIN AND THIS TIME PETER SHOULD LISTEN.

Room Tip: Did not see the rooms or would want to
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RuthStowmarket

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We paid £90 for the so called 4 poster room....what we got was a cheap wobbly bed with 2 other cheap mis matched single beds. The TV was so small it was really pointless. The carpet was covered in countless stains. The bathroom was awful, unclean, broken tiles, very noisy fan. The only good thing was the friendly, helpful staff. I would definitely never stay here again nor would I recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011
5 Thank jessicar74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harleston
J.D.Young
#1 of 1 in Eye
The Castle Inn
The Castle Inn
#1 of 1 in Bungay

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!