“the place to stay!”
Review of Tree Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sen Monorom
Tree Lodge
Perth, Australia
“the place to stay!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Beautiful view, really friendly staff and reallycheap. $3 a night with or without bathroom depending on availbility. They are basic huts but cool. Can get cold so ask for a extra blanket. Food is good and not badly priced. Its central to town although the town is very small, maybe 15min walk.
We also did the two day trek through them. Its $15 per person for 4 or more Or $25 for under 4 people. The guides were nice friendly and taught us different thingsabout the jungle. They didnt speak perfect english but good enough. We slept in hammochs which was awesome next to the beautiful river. It was really really cold so bring warm clothes and ask for a extra blanket. We ate simple but yummy food that was cooked on the campfire. Included rice, pork and fresh fish for lunch and dinner. For breaky bread and duck eggs. We also tried frog and ants which were suprisingly yummy!!
We swam in the river and jumped from thewaterfall which was fun. There wasnt to much walking and if you are resonably fit you will cruise through it.

Over all the place was great and glad we found it.

Room Tip: $3 for double bed with or without bathroom depending on avability so ask. Also you can have $5 room...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sen Monorom, Cambodia
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I am motorcycling around the country and had an accident on my way to Sen Monorom so stayed a bit longer than planned to recover. The lodge is beautiful and the common area was usually being used by a fun mix of people. Mr and Mrs Tree are excellent hosts and their little boy adds a lot of fun to the place.

I stayed in the $3 hut, which is good value. Room is very basic, but has a double mattress so can share between 2. Found out after I stayed a night that they offer hammocks for $1 a night, would be my choice for next time (love to save some $$)

• Stayed November 2013
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went to Tree lodge as Mr.Trees wife met us at the bus. She said the place was 5min walk from the town centre, but it is actually 20min (and we walk fast).
Even so, I would have given this place excellent (5) if I was only reviewing the accommodation. Mrs Tree was lovely, the food is cheap and very good, the view from the restaurant area is great. There are steep stairs down to the bungalows so maybe not good for old people, but the bungalows are only 3$! The cheapest stay we have ever had (we have travelled for 15 months). We had the bungalow closest to the restaurant, so the wifi worked fine inside, I could even use Skype. The bungalow is "open to the environments" and had a few ants, but it is in the middle of the jungle! The mosquito-net had holes in it so we took it down and used our own. The bathroom is simple but western style with toilet seat (luxury if you ask me). No sink but there is a tap on the wall, and a drain in the floor so it is not needed. Cold shower but good pressure. A cold shower is very welcoming here! So if you like "back to nature"-experience falling asleep to the sounds of the jungle and eating with a great view of the hills (as I do), then this is the place for you. If you prefer luxury and worry about bugs, then maybe somewhere else would be better.
So if I love it so much why do I give a poor mark?
Well it is only due to Mr. Trees attitude.. It was appalling, he made me very upset. Upon arrival we told him we were going to the EVP (elephant valley project) the next day (even though we had not booked it yet). He told us he was very much against them as they are overpriced, run by foreigners and all the money they make goes into the pocket of the very rich british owner. He tried to convince us that they are bad for the local economy, and he also said that the reason that they have such good reviews on tripadvisor is because they talk to you about all the good things they do, but that everything they tell you are lies. I asked him if he had been there to check it out himself and he said "of course I have!!" I asked Jemma at EVP and she said she knows very well who he is and he has never been there. We also got into a moral discussion when it comes to the elephants, but he did not seem to get the point that elephants are actually living and breathing individuals with feelings like us, and all he cares about is the "local" economy - ie his own pocket... He then proceeded to tell me that I do not have enough education to have an opinion on the subject... without knowing anything about me.. ahhem, I have worked and studied animals since I was 17 years old and I am an experienced doctor of veterinary medicine..
So this made me very upset, I do not think it is a good business strategy for him to insult his guests in this way. He would not let me use his phone to call EVP and book, so I used Skype. After what he said, I wanted to go to the EVP even more. After that I think he avoided me (and I him), and when we left he did not say goodbye. He also did not ask me what I thought of the EVP after being there.
I think he should be grateful to the EVP as so many tourists comes to Sen Monorom because of them, making him money in this way. We would never have come all that way had it not been for the great conservation effort this project is doing. He seems power-hungry wanting that tourist-money for himself, and actually the good people at EVP told me that Mr.Tree is in the process of starting up his own elephant conservation project or "breeding program" in the area. I do not think it is needed as EVP is doing that exact thing (well except for breeding as most of the elephants are too old for this anyway) and there are really not that many elephants in the area. I think he is trying to make competition for the EVP which I am sure he will fail.
Please see my separate review of the EVP for further information regarding this.
So even though this place is great and cheap I would not have sat foot here had I known what type of person I gave my money to.

Room Tip: The one closest to the reception is good
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Torunn B
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I only review places that I have been very impressed with. Tree Lodge is one of those few places. The staff is great and multi lingual, english, french and of course khamer. The bungalows are brilliant little places for 3$ each, communal washroom with cold shower. There are larger bungalows that accommodate 3 people and have a private shower with hot water. The staff organized our jungle trek, an overnight adventure with waterfalls, food cook over a fire that was mainly gathered along the way by catching fish in a stream, picking up plants and roots, the guides also haul along eggs rice and noodles to accompany the various dishes. The only drawback here was that the guides had limited english and no french, so it was difficult to ask questions about what we were seeing. Great waterfalls, swimming, sleeping out in the hammocks and they provided rice wine (more of a liquor than wine) for a little party by the fireside.
The guesthouse staff also organize elephants tours, rents scooters etc.
The staff is a husband and wife team with grandma and grandpa helping out as well. This hotel is a little outside town so you will not find it unless you know about it beforehand, if you just show up in town you will end up in the greenhouse with the rest of the tourists (more expensive).
The wife is the loveliest lady, very friendly and willing the help with anything you need. The husband will run to town to get bus tickets and other stuff organized for you. I would highly recommend staying here if you are in town!!!
For the flashbackers, wifi is only available in the bungalows close to the main house, but if that is a concern then just stay in town with the other tourists, this place is for getting away from that sort of thing, you can still get a connection from the main house to make any plans that you need.
The sunset views are stunning, the food is great, everything about this place is just wonderful. We stayed longer than planned because of all this.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for just one night.
At first glance the bed spreads look old and dirty but thats just the colour of the pattern. Suprisingly the place is super clean.
A problem is getting your luggage down those scary steps. Some have wooden railing some dont. Another issue is the ants get in all your stuff but there are none in the bed thank god!

The water ran out last night but I was told I should have informed them so they could fill it up. I was too tired and thus didnt.

Roosters crow at 4.30 am, some animal screeched in the roof (not sure what it was) and dogs bark in the night. Great for budget travellers but I need my shower and a good nights rest.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank ivana-banana
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My friend and I loved this place. It's small and basic but great for budget travellers. The guys name is Tree and he and his wife are just beautiful. The are very accommodating. When we tried to go to the waterfalls and thought it was too expensive for the moto, Tree's wife took us at a price we thought was reasonable. Yes sometimes there are ants in the room but they didn't bother us. It's a 10 min walk from town but sometimes Tree can take you. It's peaceful and comfortable. For backpackers or budget travellers it's amazing and it's great for people on holiday looking for a good experience. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Gribs23
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had read the great reviews on tripadvisor and got hooked by 'Mr. Tree' at the bus station. Confirmed w him at the bus station that they had 'in room' wifi. This place is a fair distance out of town so you are a bit isolated when you get there. I immediately began checking the wifi when I got there. It didn't work, but first Mr. Tree said it did, then when I said for him to pull up a website, he couldn't and said he knew what was wrong. As I was checking, he carried my bags to a room. For the entire 24 hours that I was there, they weren't able to get the wifi working. I am on a very long trip and have a lot of luggage. I tried to get him to take me to the bus station as it is a good (long) walk, some on dirt roads, and mostly uphill. With my luggage, it is a bit difficult. I waited from 8:30 until after 12:00, the time he would take me kept getting pushed back, until I finally decided to walk as I already felt like a 'hostage', not a guest. The facilities are the most basic you can imagine. Zero amenities, my room didn't even have a sink or toilet seat. Many narrow stairs, most only 4 inches wide, some places no railing, or they are unsafe. More like a ladder then stairs. The floor of the hut has wide gaps so that most anything can get in. Ants were in my room, so I think I'd recommend this place if you enjoy ants crawling on you at night. There are many good rooms in town for only a small amount more,

Room Tip: Stay away and you'll find a nice room in town.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo