“Luxurious accommodation in a beautiful place.”

Firefly Plantation Hotel Bequia
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Spring Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Luxurious accommodation in a beautiful place.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I have never eaten goat before but have to say it was unexpectedly good! The food here is very authentic with most ingredients directly from the gardens.
The Creole lunch was delicious and not like anything we get back home, lots of spices and flavours, generous portions and a great variety of side dishes with it. Best to ask the waiter what things are as we were not familiar with breadfruit or Christophene but they turned out to be rather nice local vegetables! Papaya seed dressing on the salad? Actually it was marvellous! Guava ice cream excellent.
There are some more familiar dishes on the menu as well for the less adventurous but we decided while in Bequia to give some of the local things a try and we were glad we did!
Would recommend this place and go back to stay here next time we are in Bequia. Very tempting pool and luxurious rooms!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Xfactorman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My wife and I had multiples lunches at the plantation and were pretty happy until the below happened to us. The last time, we had lunch over There (mid May 2013) one of the waiter gave us a bill which was definitely wrong. The waiter used his own calculation to come up with a bill over-charging us 35 USD. 35 USD is not a big amount and we are in agreement with that. However the way this was done is what I didn't like as it was clearly for his own interest and could not explain it. When I ran a quick check of the bill including lunch and few cocktails plus the plantation tour, I immediately noticed the mistake as the price difference in term of percentage was significant. The waiter was called and he said the difference was coming from the exchange rate. Fair enough, it could have been. The exchange rate was then requested to him and surprisingly enough he used the commonly used exchange rate....... in the island. It then, became a bit grey with the explanations ... I did the calculation for him and showed him the difference. At this point the waiter was just looking at us smiling and said this is the instruction he is receiving from his management !!!!! This was surprising us. when we asked to see his supervisor we could not see him for some strange reasons! At the end, to keep the story short, the waiter forced us to pay the wrong amount and became aggressive with us! He just put 35 USD in his Pocket this is what it is and this, at the cost of the bad image of the place and its owners. As a summary, nice place, nice views, relaxing area but the fact that the waiter are not really honest destroyed our good feeling of the place. We are still planning to go to Bequia but for sure not at the fire fly plantation considering the fact we have been clearly mistreated and spoiled! This is the reason I rated it poor. I also believe the owner must be aware of such behaviour of some member of the team, which demonstrated poor ethics.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank tetog
Etiamiter, Public Relations Manager at Firefly Plantation Hotel Bequia, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
I am so sorry you had a bad experience with one of our waiters. From what you describe the situation was totally unacceptable and I do apologise. I regret that we did not know about this sooner so that we could have put it right for you. Our regular bar tenders and waiters are excellent and we are very proud of the friendly and efficient service they provide. Our aim is to look after our customers and make sure you have a great time with us, it seems this did not happen on this visit and I am sorry.
I am now aware of who this waiter was and I can only say that he is no longer in our service, he only worked for a very short period but I so sorry that your visit was impacted and that situation happened.
Please do come back and give us another try on your next visit to Bequia.
Opio
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at Firefly in February 2013 in one of their four truly fabulous rooms. We had the Nutmeg on the lower level and the view of the sea in the distance was fantastic. The room was spacious with a lovely seating area, our own private balcony furnished with both chairs and chaises longue, a double shower, separate wash room and a utility room equipped with refrigerator/minibar, tea and coffee making facilities, safe, library shelf, slippers and bathrobes and suitcase and dressing room facilities. Fresh hibiscus flowers were artfully strewn on the bed and just about everywhere else. Colorful sarongs for each of us were suspended from hooks and decorated the room. This is luxury in a relaxed, friendly and laid back manner, very good service, impeccable housekeeping. Don't miss the plantation tour with Keith and do order a picnic lunch which will be delivered right to your blanket on the beach!! And according to my husband, Rodney makes the best rum punch on the island.

Room Tip: We were happy with our lower level room but an upper level room would give an even greater view. Ju...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OpioMandH
midlands uk
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I love Bequia.... such a fabulous unspoilt Carribean Island! This was our second visit to the island and we chose the Firefly after reading some great reviews.
The Firefly is set on an old Plantation on the North Eastern side of the this small island.
Such beautiful grounds with great views out to the Turquoise Carribean sea. It can get windy at times due to the trade winds.
The rooms are beautiful, really special - very roomy with a huge double shower.
Large balcony as well with great views out to palm trees and the sea.
Rustic lounge and restaurant area, great food freshley prepared and strong cocktails made with their own rum - which is potent!
The staff are very friendly and helpful and our favourite part of the day was taking the two dogs for a walk on the coast road and out towards the forest - so relaxing!
Bequia has lots to offer - great beaches, bars and restaurants dotted around. The town is so lively with a great vibe, check out the market and the little stalls selling local gifts etc....
We opted for the 'best of both world's' package which gets you 4 nights in Bequia and 4 nights at the Firefly in Mustique - I 100% recommend this great value package! It is perfect for exploring these wonderful Islands in the best part of the Carribean!

1 Thank PaulH1967
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Plantation Cottage at the Firefly Hotel is a little gem. The cottage is good for a small family but if you can make the ( rather hefty) room rate and are just a couple on your own go for it. It is large, bright and airy. A real little home from home with a lovely view of the garden, palms trees and sea beyond. They have thought of everything in this cottage, and I mean everything. In the bathroom they have the usual toiletries but also pretty stripy bathrobes, slippers, lots of coat hangers, sarongs (yep who would have thought of those?). There are lovely towels and bedding on a comfy bed. By the front door inside a basket are folded beach towels next to sunhats, an umbrella each incase it is raining when you walk the few yards to breakfast. There were things for the beach like a snorkel kit in case you have forgotten yours and childrens beach toys. The cottage does has the usual things such as tea making facilities and mini bar, safe and things for Internetery and free WiFi something that many five star hotels charge you for which really, really irritates me! The restaurant is open on all sides for the breeze and looks out over the plantation to the sea. After breakfast you can sit on the lovely plantation chairs with your coffee looking down on the pool. If you have problems with walking the main rooms are up on the hillside and the pool down some steps but the restaurant and Plantation Cottage are accessed from the driveway. What a lovely, lovely place with wonderful staff. Don't forget to do a plantation tour!

2 Thank Bessiegal
England
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm writing this review for anyone looking at the various plantation-style hotels on Bequia, and wondering how they compare. I wished I'd had a review like this to help me before booking!
We stayed at the The Old Fort in January this year, but we also considered The Sugar Reef and this one, Firefly. So during the holiday my curiosity got the better of me and I had a good look at the two I hadn't chosen. So this review is based on having a drink in the bar at Firefly and being offered a guided tour of the rooms and grounds by the housekeeper. Of the three, this one is by far the most luxurious. Definitely a 5-star standard. The rooms are stunning, with lots of space, his 'n hers showers (!) and large balconies. They have a Caribbean style, and the layout and decor is exquisite. But the price does reflect that. The hillside at Firefly is quite steep with the rooms at the top, the bar and restaurant in the middle and the pool below. It's quite a climb from the pool back up to the rooms, so I'd recommend choosing a room on the first rather than the second floor if you're not super-fit. The pool is large with plenty of sunbeds, but the Old Fort also has a very good pool, though has deckchairs rather than proper sunbeds. Firefly's views are mainly tropical countryide, with the sea in the distance, but we thought they were lovely. And we loved the soundtrack of the crickets and birds which is really distinct here. You do feel you're in the heart of the "jungle". The sea is a long walk away, and to be honest this coast doesn't have the best beaches unless you like strong waves. For a day on the beach you'd be better to take one of the fun island taxis and go to the leeward side where the beaches are really wonderful. The staff seemed extremely friendly. The barman, complete with bow tie, was very happy to organise our room tour with the housekeeper, even though it was sundowner time and he was clearly quite busy. To sum up, all three hotels have fabulous views and great atmosphere, but you'd choose Firefly for the high quality rooms, and for a more professional, very atmospheric bar and restaurant.

Room Tip: choose a lower room, rather than the highest, as you'll have to walk up from the pool and it'...
3 Thank Jan46
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I think I've subconsciously hesitated writing this review because I'm not sure I can find the right words to properly describe our experience at the Firefly plantation--how can one describe perfection? My husband and I stayed a week at the Firefly in November 2012. It is, hands down, one of the BEST travel experiences we have had the fortune of experiencing. The staff was one of the highlights and should be commended. Rodney, Donovan and Ernie were professional, fun, friendly and went above-and-beyond to make our stay memorable and enjoyable. From scheduling a tour of the island to making sure we had a taxi on our layover in St. Vincent, Rodney and Donovan were accommodating in every way.

The grounds are amazing and lovely! The views from our room were absolutely amazing and authentically Caribbean! I appreciated the historic nature of the plantation and all the original buildings. We, of course, did the plantation tour and learned the history of the property (fascinating) and enjoyed the freshly picked fruit. The atmosphere of the Firefly Plantation was relaxing and hospitable. As an animal lover, I loved Judy and Annie the plantation dogs, who stayed outside our room at night as an added measure of hospitality! I appreciated the lovely and well-appointed rooms, with a touch of upscale "rustic-ness." Truly a one-of a kind, authentic Caribbean boutique hotel experience. Beautiful and perfect in every way!

The food was fresh and fabulous, prepared by local chefs (my mouth waters now just thinking about it!) and complete with freshly harvested plantation produce at every meal. Donovan is an expert bartender, making fantastic libations and conversation! We enjoyed every dining experience here to the fullest!

Overall, the island is idyllic and the people wonderfully friendly. This is what the Caribbean should be! We can't wait to return to this little piece of heaven in the near future!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 17 in St. Vincent
David's Beach Hotel
David's Beach Hotel
#2 of 5 in Union Island

Been to Firefly Plantation Hotel Bequia? Share your experiences!