“Peacefull, romantic, luxurious resort”

SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Choeng Mon
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Peacefull, romantic, luxurious resort”
Reviewed December 5, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel late November / early December 2010. It is easily the best hotel we have visited.
At check in we were greeted politely and handed a refreshing fruit drink, hand towel and a Thai flower gift. The receptionist walked us through the resort pointing out areas such as the spa, and where to find the restaurant. We were shown to our Deluxe Balcony room number 71. rather than just leaving us at the door, the receptionist came into the room (where our bags had already been dropped off) and shown us where to find things and how to use items such as the safe, we found this very useful as it helps you to feel settled instantly , not that it would be difficult to do so as the room was fantastic (especially considering this is the lowest value type of accomodation in the resort,I cant imagine how good the villas are!)

The room was well furnished without feeling cramped for the size of the room, with a large flatscreen TV, DVD player (you can rent DVDs from reception) desk, sofa and simply the most fantastic four poster bed....you really don't want to get out of it in the morning! Th only issue we had was that there is a mat on the floor in front of the double doors that lead on to the balcony, as the floor was polished we slippedon it once or twice before deciding to roll it up and put it under the sofa.The bathroom was really beautiful too, but the floor gets very slippery as when you shower the water goes right over the sides of the bath (I am being very picky here!!). All in all the accomodation was beautiful, and the check in experience cannot be faulted.
The resort itself is fantastic, the first thing we noticed is that the whole resort smells gorgeous! really made a difference. There are two large pools (for the few guests who dont have their own private pool!) in a beautiful beachfront location. I didn't use the spa as I thought it was over priced ( you can get massage treatments nearby for a fraction of the price, but you do compromise the luxury that you would receive in the resort).
The breakfast served in the restaurant is very good, and the evening meals we had there were simply fantastic (the chicken satay, and masuman curry were my particular favourites). But there are many good restaurants on the island, our favourites were 'Zicos', a brazillian themed BBQ style restaurant,' The Cliff', where i had a fantastic steak, and 'On the Rocks', which is a lovely experience where you can watch the sunset then eat outside with a view of another island.
The best thing about our stay though had to be the staff at the resort. Housekeeping kept the room spotless, including an evening check where a staff member visits the room and lights your mosquito deterrents, empties bins etc and also leaves you a little gift such as Thai sweets. Security staff were always visible, and extremely polite, made the resort feel very secure. The reception staff were brilliant too, in particular a female member of staff called Kwan. Kwan helped us choose activities to do and was very knowledgeable and very polite. She also made us feel very welcome at the resort. We choose to go elephant trekking and to a tiger zoo, also for a snorkelling trip to Koh Tao (all very enjoyable).

Well I feel I have expressed how highly I regard this resort, but to really get the picture you should visit there yourself!

1 Thank lorraineparker88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Had a great stay at SALA Samui last week. Hotel is beautiful, the pool villas very nice, clean and the outdoor bathroom is one of a kind. We only met very friendly staff, everybody was courteous, charming and always had a smile ready. The beach is nice, the breakfast is very generous and every coffee is freshly made.. We loved that. I would highly recommand this hotel in Samui.. Thank you Sala Team!

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 27, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to express your comments here on TripAdvisor.com about your recent stay at SALA Samui Resort and Spa. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back with us again soon.
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This is a great resort that is built in harmony with the island habitat. This is as close as you can get to the nature without compromising from luxury and quality. Ideal place to kiss your urban soul goodbye and cool your brain for a while. The service is amazing, the personnel is always smiling and respectful. I especially recommend the Sala Pool Villas, amazing experience. By the way if you keep insisting to remain connected like me the free wifi service works well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2010
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at SALA Samui Resort and Spa. We also tend to think that our resort here on the tropical island of Samui is a small part of paradise and also "heaven on earth". Please do come back and visit us again soon!
Boston
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We started our Honeymoon at SALA after a long flight from US. We certainly had high expectations after many great reviews and were not dissapointed. The personal car, pickup and attention to detail made our whole honeymoon experience and package quite memorable. We travelled there during low season ("rainy season") which made the hotel that much more intimate and yet there was plenty of opportunity to get a tan.
We moved on to Koh Phangan and Phi Phi and other 5 star hotels but SALA certainly stood out. The biggest compliment was their attention to detail and their ability to make you feel special and welcomed. The staff also spoke above average english and were very friendly. We appreciated simple things like European style coffee from expresso machine and full breakfast menu that was part of our package (rather than just the buffett). The Honeymoon dinner was a feast featuring lobster and other seafood delights including wine.
The hotel grounds were meticulous and we enjoyed different picturesque pools. The beach is nice and secluded with beautiful sand during high tide. It doesn't have the puriness of the sand of Chaweng beach but you do get the privacy and intimacy instead. We certainly preferred that. Furthermore, there are few more restaurants down the beach to explore and a nearby scooter rental in the back for day trips. Massages were also above average and relatively good value compared to other hotels.
As a whole we would highly recommend this hotel to anybody and especially couples. We look forward to being back and having some of that amazing welcome tea again :)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at SALA Samui Resort and Spa. I am glad to read that our resort stood out as your favourite amongst all of the hotels that you visited during your honeymoon in Thailand. Our team here do try exceptionally hard to make all our guests feel special and we certainly enjoy having honeymoon couples stay with us. We do not have that many guests from the USA, probably as it is quite a distance to travel, so we especially thank you for choosing our resort. Please do come back and see us again soon - maybe on an anniversary trip in the future!!!
Cheshire
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Booked via Travelbag in the UK

Reception:

Excellent staff who convey that nothing is too much trouble. We had a 24 hour delay on our way out to Samui and we were made to forget this hassle immediately upon arrival by extremely courteous and polite reception staff. We were checked into the hotel efficiently and then taken to our accommodation

Accommodation:

Deluxe Balcony Room.

For our first week, we chose to stay in the Deluxe Balcony. Firstly Ill get the only sticking point out of the way and that was the amount of storage capacity. You are limited by the amount of storage available and a few more draws would of been handy.
The room itself if furnished to a high standard with a king-size bed with wonderful soft cotton linen.
Flat screen TV accompanied by a good quality hi-fi system with the ability to connect to your own MP3 player.

The bathroom was also a good size with a wonderful round bath with overhead shower, ideal for relaxing in. (See photos)

Garden view accommodation also have their own large balcony with Sala bed overlooking indeed, the garden. This is great to kick back and relax on in the evenings with a cold drink, heaven indeed.

Garden Pool Villa

For our second week we decided to move into the Garden Pool Villa.

As you enter the room you are faced with large working surface on which the coffee and tea making facilities, phone and information are stored, this also doubled up as my computer desk for catching up with people back home via the free Wi-Fi.

Again, a large king-size bed which faces out into your garden and private pool. Storage is much better in here which is serviced by two wardrobes and underneath storage.
TV and Hi-Fi compliment the room with an added seating area inside the room.

The bathroom is partially open air with the ability to wind the roof from half to full shut depending on preference. The bath is a different shape than the garden view room which means its better to relax in. (See photos)

The garden itself consists of a decking area where the sunbeds reside which looks onto the jewl of these rooms and that is the private pool. All surrounded by very well kept plants and fantastic bamboo's. There is also a separate seating area for chilling or reading.

I must add that all of this can be lit up a night with wonderful lighting both around the pool and the pool itself, delightful! This all goes to making this the perfect play to unwind.

Resort Surrounds:

The hotel is kept immaculate in every quarter by a team of staff that quite clearly take great pride in their jobs and the SALA itself.

All staff including the security are extremely polite and always greet guests with a smile and the traditional Thai wai greeting.

Beach:

I will quickly mention the beach. We arrived just after a major storm which had rather spoilt the beach somewhat, mountains of debris and plastic were everywhere. To the hotels credit, they soon had this cleaned up swiftly and staff were always maintaining the beach front to ensure it was to the high standards that the hotel sets itself.

Staff:

As I have said previously, all staff are attentive and happy and this shows through on the standard of work that they all contribute.

Security staff are always visible and not hiding away somewhere.

Room attendants do an outstanding job of keeping the rooms in clean condition. Very attentive to attention to detail to the point of even folding up your clothes that you may have casually left around your room. I would goes as far as saying that they are some of the best I've encountered on my travels.

Bar and waiting staff are excellent and always on hand to provide service.

Food:

We ate in the restaurant on two occasions, once on our first evening and the second for my Birthday. Each time the standard of food was outstanding and a great dining experience. Dining in can be very costly compared to eating outside of the hotel grounds. They did bring out a cake on my Birthday which was a nice touch even if they did spell my name incorrectly, gave us a good giggle anyway.
We ordered room service on a couple of occasions which always arrived promptly and of a very good standard.
My only small gripe here is what I call the Sala Stealth Tax. Its basically 17% that has to go on top of anything that is purchased. I really feel that this disguises the high price that you eventually pay when ordering food and beverages and really think that it should be just included in the price you see. 10% is a service charge and the remainder is VAT. I am sure there is a reason behind it but as Ive said, it feels like a stealth tax even though its stated on the menus.

Summary:

All in all its easy to see why the Sala Koh Samui sits in the top ten of resorts on the island. The hotel is extremely well maintained with happy attentive staff that ooze happiness and good work ethics. If you are looking for a high end boutique hotel that can pamper to your every whim or give you complete privacy in lush surroundings then the Sala is a must.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Swordfishradio
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
The time you have taken to provide such an in depth account of your recent stay at SALA Samui Resort and Spa is most appreciated. It is indeed wonderful to read such detailed comments on our property with positive critique on the areas in which you think we are able to improve. I assure you that this information is taken very seriously by our team here as we endeavour to act on all the suggestions that are made.
You make mention of the limited storage space in our Deluxe Balcony Rooms - I must admit you are not the first person to remark on this. We acknowledge that this is a challenge for us and we have been looking into this matter of providing a few more drawers and cupboards for a while now. We will come up with an innovation solution very soon.
I was also extremely pleased to see that you acknowledged the great service by our security staff. We actually use an outside provider for this service and I too believe they do a very efficient job and have a wonderful rapport with guests . They are visible but not intrusive, polite, always smiling and happy to provide you with great service. I will be delighted to pass your observations onto their island manager.
I apologise for the incorrect spelling of your name on the birthday cake as this was certainly an oversight on our part - at least it gave you a giggle however, it should not happen and I will remind our kitchen and Food and Beverage staff to be more vigilant in this regard!
As for the service charge and VAT amounting to 17%, this is high I admit, but standard practice for Thailand. The Thai Government has also been debating the issue of whether establishments should quote net, or as we say ++ pricing, on menus for some time now; for the present we have do it the ++ way.
Thank you once again for your review and on behalf of my entire team I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to SALA Samui Resort and Spa very soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Fantastic pool villa, absolute quiet and private location. Overall, excellent service and friendly staff include security guards, driver, room cleaner, spa staff and front desk. Very quick response to requests, no less any international chain business hotel, indeed a very pleasant surprise for a resort hotel.

Few things to improve:
1) The TV channel varieties should improve. I am disappointed that I could not watch English Premier league football in my room but it was shown in the hotel Pangaea restaurant.
2) The mattress is too soft, perhaps its too old. I wake up with backache every morning.

Overall, it's a wonderful stay. We look forward to come back, hopefully we will experience the improvements we highlighted.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
SALA_Samui_Resort, Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
We are pleased to hear that you had enjoyed the stay at our resort.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at SALA Samui Resort and Spa. It is always our pleasure to receive positive guest feedback, and encourage you to share your fruitful experience via TripAdvisor.com with other guests and travellers.

I will share your comments and ratings with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We will certainly look into those points to improve the quality of our Resort.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Best Regards,
Koramit Nareerak(Mrs.)
Hotel Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for a week with another couple and thought it was lovely. I will point out a few minor negatives also though. I can highly recommend the private pool villa room - it was such a luxury to have our own totally private pool to flop into whenever we wanted. I also liked the outside bathroom, still a really nice feature even when it's raining hard. Our king size bed was wonderful and every day they change your sheets when they clean your room. Although the combined indoor/outdoor areas of the pool villa room is large, there is almost no space to put your stuff in the room. No table and chair, just a recessed couch area which is where a lot of our things ended up. My husband is over 6 feet tall so at least we were able to stow our suitcases in the high space above the small wardrobe/hanging spaces to get them out of the way. When we arrived at our room I started eating from the fruit bowl and had to ring room service to bring another as it was basically just for show. The mangosteens and bananas were very over ripe. The replacement bowl was only marginally better so I placed it outside the room to get rid of the smell and they eventually removed it. The room has a dvd player and IPod adapter with in room speakers. The free internet is quite slow but supposedly that's the case at the whole island. The two large pools at the hotel are beautiful with plenty of lounges all around them and the beach out the front of the hotel is nice too but with the pool areas so lovely we hardly ever walked the extra 20 steps out to the beach! The lunch and dinner menu was mostly nice and not very expensive but we would have been sick of it had we stayed longer than a week. The drinks and cocktails are great and also not too expensive - about 230 baht for a margarita which goes to half price if you drink at happy hour! The breakfast (free with our accommodation) was nothing special but the dreadful musak (Simon and Garfunkle et al) that was constantly played in the restaurant was pretty awful. After a few days of it it bothered us all so much that I was going to complain but on that morning it changed - to a slightly more bearable jazz muzak! We laughed about it in the end. As you walk out of the hotel complex to the left there is a little massage salon called "Ananyaporn" which is fantastic! The girls are lovely so nearly every day we had some sort of treatment there which was about a quarter the price of the hotel spa. Sala is a fair way from Chewang or Lamai so hiring a cute little scooter from one of the places just down the road from the hotel is a good idea if you want to get around and - make sure your travel insurance covers you for injury on it though. I can also recommend "The Library" off the main drag in Chewang for a stunning meal right on the beach. It's a very cool and groovy place to eat and stay but is not cheap. We loved an afternoon cooking course we did at the SITCA (Samui Institute of Thai Culinary Arts), even the boys. Also make sure you get a fresh banana pancake for dessert at night from a street vendor, they are delicious! The hotel gym is well appointed 6 various cardio machines, fit balls, weight machines and a free weights set. The mosquitos at the hotel were of no real bother to us - the staff spray around your room when they service it twice a day anyway. I was very pleased to see the condition of the dogs on the island much improved due to more de-sexing and some veterinary care since my last stay 10 years ago too. Thai people are just lovely and the all the staff here are no exception, I really enjoyed my stay at Sala and would book a pool villa room again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to express your views on Tripadvisor.com about your recent stay at SALA Samui Resort and Spa. All your comments have been taken on board and have been discussed with the various department heads here. The information you provided is great as it gives a balanced, unbiased view of your holiday experience with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time in Samui and again thank you for sharing your remarks with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Choeng Mon
#2 of 50 in Lamai Beach
The Tongsai Bay
The Tongsai Bay
#4 of 186 in Bophut

Been to SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!