What a fantastic hotel/resort. We stayed at the Sala Samui for the first week of our honeymoon between 25 April and 2 May 06. It really was a splendid week and couldn't be faulted. The quality of the rooms is outstanding- we stayed in a Sala Pool Villa (number 12) and despite having our own pool, sun loungers and day bed we found ourselves spending the majority of our days around the hotels two main pools; both were little more than a 20 yard step from our villa. There is a wonderful infinity lap pool and a great family pool.
The bar/restaurant is great and although cheaper food can be found at the many bars along the beach the quality and ambience of the hotel restaurant (especially at night) cannot be beaten. At most the prices are equivalent to European food costs. The service and selection of food was great and served a fine mix of western and Thai dishes. On a couple of occasions it made great respite from the spicy Thai dishes to eat a steak and salad!
As mentioned above, the hotel is located on Choeng Mon beach. It is a wonderful sandy bay with shallow and safe waters in which to jet-ski/canoe. The only thing to be aware of is that the seabed in front of the hotel is filled with rock and coral, and it prevents safe and comfortable wading in the warm water. If you walk down a beach one hundred yards the rocks disappear and you will see lots of people enjoying the sea as it is far more easy to walk in the water there.
The beach bars and restaurants are all much of a muchness and serve perfectly adequate and cheap lunches (the best we found was "Honeys" at the end of the beach). At nightime though the bars come into their own and it is great to relax on a sun lounger around a warm campfire with the sea lapping at your feet- paradise. The atmosphere is great and there is a pleasant mix of Thais and Europeans.
Back to the hotel- our room was well specified and proved to be perfect. Due to our newly "married status" they spread rose petals over the bed and presented us with a free bottle of sparkling wine and a bunch of roses on arrival. The bedroom was air conditioned with double bed, safe and TV/DVD and opened up via French doors onto our private patio area. Another set of doors slid open to reveal our outdoor bathroom with great rainshower and bath. The private patio area was very secluded and boasted a great day-bed (ideal shade after a hard day's sunbathing!) and small yet very deep pool. The room was cleaned and prepared thoroughly by the most polite staff I have ever met, and the turn down service was nice also.
The Spa was dreamlike, smart and well equipped. We enjoyed a couples' massage and found the prices to be relatively reasonable- it really is a special place and you are treated like royalty. Of course you can find a cheap (100 baht) massages on the beach, but the experience is far less special.
The library is a nice touch and has a selection of books (mostly English) and the free internet access was helpful. My only criticism is the hotel's (and yes, OK, I know it's free) DVD rental service. Most of the DVDs we borrowed overnight were either damaged, found missing from the case or and (not uncommonly in Thailand) fake. If you enjoy fake DVDs (Wallace and Grommit!) then dig-out, but the quality was terrible and the repeated coughing of the cameraman whilst filming in the cinema was incredibly off-putting! I would hope that a hotel of this class could address this minor weakness in its customer offerings.
Other than the above, we found this hotel to be perfect and it is just far enough away from the chaos and dirt of Chaweng. My advice would be that if you don't like noise, dirt and tacky tee-shirt stalls stay away from Chaweng and check in at the wonderful Sala Samui. You won't be disappointed.
Happy from Hampshire!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SALA Samui Resort and Spa is a stunning deluxe pool villa resort on Koh Samui island, featuring private swimming pools in 53 out of 69 total villas and suites.At SALA Samui, a comfortable, relaxing ambiance is created by a harmonious blend of traditional Thai architecture with modern facilities and amenities. Friendly, well-trained staff pamper guests with professional, personalized service.Located on pristine Choeng Mon beach on the northeast corner of Koh Samui island, SALA Samui is just 15 minutes from the Samui airport, 20 minutes from Bo Phut's quaint Fisherman's Village, and only 15 minutes from Chaweng Beach shopping and nightlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your SALA Samui Resort And Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sala Samui Resort And Hotel Koh Samui
- Sala Samui Hotel
- SALA Samui Resort And Spa Ko Samui/Choeng Mon